Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little introduction.

By the end of August our family (2+2) went for a short vacation in north parts of Michigan, called Upper Peninsula (UP).
There are many waterfalls, Pictured Rocks park, lakes, woods... and long distance between them.

To get to some waterfalls we had to take unpaved roads. Some were more or less muddy, more or less challenging (we like challenges so why not have fun?), some steeper, and so on.

So here is what is happening.

You go over some muddy rocks, (no, do not think it is rock crawling; just rocks in the "pavement"), climbing a hill, and you need more power. You push the gas and you get more power and then in the background the turbo starts spinning and provides more torque than you actually need now, so to avoid wheel slippage (ESC is off) you back off. This results in turbo to slow down and take the power off too much than you would want to... and back and forth.

While the power issue was not so annoying and I would rather let the wheels to get some slippage as opposed to lose power, I need to add one thing.

When it comes to handling, many complained about rear axle being torsion bar. However, it provides excellent suspension when going over deep holes or uneven terrain (sorry for language, I am not sure what words would be best here). Thanks to the stiff beam the rear would hold tight and would not sink into the hole making basically three wheels on the ground.

The only really problematic thing was ground clearance :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
With traction control and ESC off you really only have one wheel putting down power. So there is that.

To manipulate the throttle better put it in a higher rpm as to keep the engine revved so it has power quicker so you don't bury your foot to deep trying to compensate for turbo lag.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
With traction control and ESC off you really only have one wheel putting down power. So there is that.
It would be regardless. I actually meant TC is off... not the whole ESC. The car does not have BLD so wheels will spin.

to manipulate the throttle better put it in a higher rpm as to keep the engine revved so it has power quicker so you don't bury your foot to deep trying to compensate for turbo lag.
Yeah, I tried that. But keeping engine at high rpm (anything above 3000) while going 10 mph is not quite possible. Besides, it produces way too much power for the need.

I would say in general turbo engines due to turbo lag are not the best for this purpose. When you need power for the moment, non turbo would be better. Besides, you know what to expect from NA at any given point.

Not that I complain about our little 1.6 T. I love it. It just for this particular situation it was a bit tricky to drive and keep everything under control. The smooth way control as I could do it with NA 2.0 in Elantra.

Climbing in 2nd gear at about 25 mph I push the gas about 3/4 down and I can feel torque increasing and turbo getting ready for more power, so to avoid to much skidding, back off a bit. It was great fun. I liked it.
Just this extra process of getting the power the way I need was an extra task.

Oh, one more thing.
ABS with EBD was awesome on slippery and sandy roads. It directed braking power much better than I expected.
I can't wait to see how it is in winter... only after I get winter wheels. Spending money... again.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The high amount of low end torque made last winter interesting. Whenever it was icy or snowing I think I'd always spin the tires off the line from a dead stop. Took some getting used to, and in sure I'll do it again this winter.

Very different coming from a gutless Mazda 3.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's a reason why turbos become in style when gas prices go higher. It's definitely a compromise vs just having a big beefy v8. All the turbos available today is a flashback to the 80s.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A lot of the issues youre encountering isnt turbo lag but throttle response programming. Kia has some odd mapping for throttle response and like any drive by wire setup there is no linear reaction between pedal and throttle. This engine uses a twin scroll turbo with direct injection, lag on this turbo is almost non existent. Its all in the throttle mapping.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lag on this turbo is almost non existent
That's the key word here! I am talking about immediate power need and it is not throttle mapping related as the throttle response is one thing and power coming in later due to the lag...
Imagine going through a big muddy puddle. You start slowly, gently, when something goes wrong and you need to pull it much harder, you push it. What happens is that some power is readily available, but the true power comes about 1.5 second later providing too much power.
Hence, the reaction next time is to push the pedal much deeper and back off when power starts coming...

I hope it makes sense.

Again, that is at low speeds...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I still disagree on turning off the traction control. The traction control works by cutting power (releasing throttle/opening blow off valve) and I think in our case applying the brake to the spinning wheel so there other one with traction will get power.

But I do also agree the throttle mapping is a bit aggressive on tip in

·
Registered
192 Posts
actually i have discovered that throttle response and load is much better for everyday driving in eco. It actually drives more linearly than with eco mode off. Admittedly midrange feels softer but partial throttle isnt as aggressive and lets the car seem less peaky. On small local roads and in town i use eco mode then switch it off for open road running and if i think aggressive throttle use may be used... ie im playing around.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The traction control works by cutting power (releasing throttle/opening blow off valve) and I think in our case applying the brake to the spinning wheel so there other one with traction will get power.
I need to double check that. I am almost certain KIA did not implement BLD in Forte like GTI has. I could be wrong.
Yet, sure, TC if detects spin will cut the power but backing off the throttle which is fly by wire so you have no control over it.

actually i have discovered that throttle response and load is much better for everyday driving in eco.
No ECO in M/T so I can't tell. My ECO is in my right foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts