·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock Hankooks at $165
Hankook*Optimo H426

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS are cheaper at $141
Continental*ExtremeContact DWS 06

Why does this happen? Conspiracy? They get a deal with Hankook on some crappy tires that should be ~$80 and then they mark them up for the aftermarket hoping people just replace the tires with the same ones? Just baffling that a tire that is much worse at everything is more expensive and chosen by the people who most want to showcase its performance and have it do well in magazine testing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The phenomenon is not limited to Kia. It's a problem across the board with few exceptions. If it's just that they wanted a domestic(from their perspective) provider, Hankook makes lots of better tires as does Kumho.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Also I am sure hyundai did not pay anything close to retail for their factory tire deal. They simply look at numbers, will the tires they put on there last roughly one year and not kill anyone in the process. If yes and that is the best deal then guess what goes on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Manufacturers probably have agreements with tire companies... They'll buy 100,000 tires if they get them for 20% off or the sort.

And of course they'll go with the cheapest because $$$$

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right but Hankook makes cheaper tires that perform better.

Guess it could be they realize they made 100,000 horrible tires no one would want and dump those off to manufacturers in a deal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
From Fight Club...

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the Nexens aren't rated on Tirerack, but the sites that do have some reviews seem to rate them better than the Hankooks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Pro Ceed has the best stock fitment tires of all of the platforms.. they have pilot sport 3.. but its normal to have 2 sets of tires.. a winter and summer set.. All season tires are a US thing for the most part..

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Pro Ceed has the best stock fitment tires of all of the platforms.. they have pilot sport 3.. but its normal to have 2 sets of tires.. a winter and summer set.. All season tires are a US thing for the most part..
Yeah the whole one set of tires year round does not not work, as you would be making sacrifices in some way to be able to do that. Two sets of tires you can have the best of both worlds

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Winter tires used to be an absolute requirement decades ago, especially in the days of bias-ply tires. The mountain/snowflake symbol used to be exclusive to winter tires. But now there are some all seasons that are good enough to pass the test for it. The ExtremeContact DWS is one of them and actually outperforms some winter tires. The dual setup has become less of a need. Especially outside of mountainous areas where the rumble of studded tires is common.

Going with a good winter/summer setup is definitely the way to go to get maximum performance though. But last several years tire marketers have been pushing the idea of winter tires heavily to the mainstream, seemingly trying to grow that business again outside of the enthusiasts and mountain folk.

·
Registered
209 Posts
These will be my next set of tires,

BFGood G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

The are the #1 rated Ultra Performance All-Seasons for this size, and not all that expensive at $120 per tire.

Reactions: Cardhu

·
Registered
981 Posts
My second set are the Nitto Motiva and to be honest they scared me when they first got put on. Motivo's had no traction what so ever in corners and a little to hard on the accelerator and tires are spinning. After a nice chat with a Nitto tire rep and finding out they need to go through a few heat cycles and a few thousand miles before they start to perform better and at 50% tread he said they will be even better. Since then I put 5K miles on them and I have to say I am impressed at how well they are doing for aggressive cornering and haven't been to the track with them yet but soon. Last trip to the track was with a set of ET Streets.

Reactions: 2014:1.6lT

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
My Nexen's will be trashed by summer with the canyon runs and the constant spinning through the first 2 gears and chirping into 3rd I do now lol. I am going to see what I can get thats really good for my driving but ok for rain.

·
Registered
188 Posts
About the best tire for the money for our 18" SX, at least for those of us with All Season needs, is the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S at about $120 per tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...GFC2ASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
have your tried these? Cuz I'm wondering if I should buy some 16s and put winter tires on or if all season are goo s enough on these 18's because ive never even considered leaving 18s on a car through the winter in Minnesota.. but I had to this year because of when I purchased the car. and I get stuck on flat ground regularly

·
Registered
3 Posts
have your tried these? Cuz I'm wondering if I should buy some 16s and put winter tires on or if all season are goo s enough on these 18's because ive never even considered leaving 18s on a car through the winter in Minnesota.. but I had to this year because of when I purchased the car. and I get stuck on flat ground regularly
No I don't have direct experience with them, still shredding the shitty OEM Hankook 426's (28k miles) and planning on installing the BFG's in the fall. I can't imagine not having true winter tires in Minnesota. Same here in the Colorado mountains, but I live just outside Denver and good all seasons are a reasonable compromise down here and sufficient for traveling through the mountains. We get a lot of sunshine and the roads often dry off quickly, just watch out for the north shady areas.

The Tire Rack reviews for the BFGs are stellar and the 400 treadwear is reasonable for a 'performance' tire.

·
Registered
188 Posts
cool thanks @Cardhu

Reactions: Cardhu
1 - 20 of 20 Posts