Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to replace your Koup / Forte5 tomorrow what would you pick from the litter of options available in the market?

I have to admit im a little interested in the new Veloster N because of the performance per dollar metric assuming Hyundai Canada doesn't pull a focus RS on us and charge it out of the poor mans enthusiasts budget. I think $33-35k is not unreasonable considering the Veloster Turbo is under $30k Canadian.

If they announce a hotter version of the Forte5 and still able to keep pricing relatively competitive I would prefer that as well. The jury is still out on the looks of the Veloster.

I will hit 4 years since I picked up the car in July and I'm still under 70,000km or 43,000miles so there's a lot of life in her yet.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think I would be shifting towards GTI.
Larger engine, much wider support, better transmission (DSG), and better suspension (rear).
It is, though, very popular Golf, not like Forte5 that actually is not so common. I see sedans a lot, a few Koups and a few 5s. Plus, I love the "sleeper" mode in my tuned F5.
What stops me from GTI is lack of memory seats for example. Not a big deal one would say, but very usable when cleaning car or sharing the car with wife. She drives it sometimes.

If anything else?
Veloster is a not. I dislike its shape. But more importantly it is its rear that cannot suit 2 kids (9 and 12).
I would think Focus, but they come with MT only what is a problem for my wife.

Final word - there are days, when I feel the power in the car is rough (not smooth delivery, ECU is confused how to set boost and how much power to deliver so the car kind of shoots power) and I think that my next car would be NA engine. Something with V6 or so. Also, V6 will give nicer sound and NA engines have great gurgle with CAI... what cannot be said about Turbo'ed ones.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've always liked the Charger RT or Lexus IS platforms.

Ideally, either a IS350 F-Sport or Charger RT or SRT8... Hellcat if I could afford it.

Thought I always wanted an STI but that has died.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm OK for now. I like the MPG I get. Gas is at $3.75 an with summer coming who knows. I still have to commute a few days a week for work.
If anything I would buy an older Mustang (2012 or newer 3.7L V6 for me) and put a blower on it. LOL

·
Registered
827 Posts
I sold my RAM RT, now I'm going to get or lease a Ford f-150 STX pkg. I'll test drive the 2019 Camaro Turbo 4 with the top line supension 1LE and see if I like it. I'm anticipating my commuter NEON to not last all that much longer. So I'll have a parking space for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Reactions: Scoobdude

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I thought I would update my answer here.

I do not feel I am ready for purely electric car yet (I will miss the rumble of exhaust), but I would be very interested in a hybrid hot hatch.

There is already Golf GTE. Not in here (i.e. USA), of course, but we might be getting hybrid GTI (GTI-e?).
If not VW, maybe other brand, Yet, I love this idea of having electric motor for low speed movement and recouping energy from braking.
Since my commute is about 22 miles round trip, mainly city, up to 45 mph most of the time, it would be great choice. Of course if the price is right...

But it would have to be something like GTI hybrid, meaning DSG, not CVT... please.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Veloster N has touched down and $34,999 gets you the whole kitten kaboodle. If you take off the fanboy hat and look at it subjectively it is not a fantastic price point.

For a little more you can get the AWD 2.0T kia stinger. Probably a lot more practical than a gimped hatchback like the Veloster. Sure it may not be as exciting to drive but are the trade offs worth the sacrifice? As much as I like to get into one I'm not sure the boy racer desire will last forever. The stinger has enough beans if you want to give it some but also composure when you don't. The Veloster screams, race me! I won't even mention the grotesque civic type R, that is an embarrassment on a whole other level.

Alternatively the g70 may be a viable option. It is a nice grown up car but also has a wild side. In Canada you can get one with RWD and manual.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe MB 250CLA - Might be here next week, will see.
2.0L Turbo, but with a 7 Speed Dual-Clutch if the price is right. lol
Oh I'm keeping my Koup.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oh I'm keeping my Koup.
P1020319[1].JPG

Definitely "quicker" then my car (Koup). :confused:

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Sweet.
Any more info on it? Year? Is it 4-matic?
I am surprised it is rated over 35 mpg highway.

How is the dual clutch experience? Hearing pops under WOT upshifts?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I'm keeping my Koup.
View attachment 16047

Definitely "quicker" then my car (Koup).
Congrats?

Did you trade in the koup on this? I can't imagine Mercedes would have given you much for the kia.

I think my long term goal is to save up enough for the stinger gt. I am very much sold on that car and what it offers for me. Still great utility but also restrained looks while performance is readily at your will. I see kia is clearing out many demos but you're still looking at $42-45K CAD.

I might grab one used in a few years when the forte starts to give up the ghost as it were. I only have 76,000km on it from almost 5 years of commuting. Thinking of putting a cross country duty on it in the summer. It's still a baby and has been reliable but just not worth the trade in on what they will give me. Drive it til it dies and get a used stinger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts