Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you find most enjoyable about driving your turbo Forte? For me, I love taking it to the top of 4th gear when I'm getting to my exit on the freeway. Where I am, people have a propensity to drive under the speed limit which is 90-100KM/H so that's about 55-60mph. When I take it to about 160km/h or 100mph zipping by traffic (safely, mind you), it gives me the sensation like I'm in a really, really fast car, lol.

I've always said if I ever came into a big windfall, I'd have to be really cautious about what car I would buy because I may not live long enough to spend it all otherwise. I don't know how people with cars capable of 200mph are so reserved or satisfied puttering around in traffic and in gridlock.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like bolting off the line and letting the motor rpm through the gears. The auto trans shifts quickly and firmly. Had a friend in from out of town last week, he couldn't believe the motor is only a 1.6L's. I did a few runs in sport shift mode where the trans holds the gear until it rpm's out. Did a 2k rpm launch and let it run to 120mph on a back road. Just turned 9k miles and the few changes I've done have really smoothed out the power delivery. I'm going to do a Stage zero tune in the future.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My answer will be two fold. One part for AT and the other for MT.

In 2016 AT I love the quick shifts and when I manually, under WOT, I shift to 2nd at about 4k rpm. It dumps 2nd very hard and lets the rubber to smoke. The quick shifts and very crisp are great in this AT. It is smooth when needs to be and is very abrupt when you push. Just the way I wanted it to be.
I'd love to be able to have the torque lockup mode a bit more aggressive. I'd love it to hold way longer than it is now.

In 2015 MT I loved going in the top gear on highway.
At about 65 mph it would be nearly 3000 rpm. Getting ready to pass, push the gas a bit to start turbo spool, and then WOT. It would pull like crazy without any need for downshift.

I will not mention what I dislike in both...

Acceleration in MT, in highway speeds, seemed much faster. I bet it is due to the fact there is no lost power in the slushy box (torque converter).
On the other hand, AT seems much faster in taking off from stand still. Quick shifts, shorter gearing - no way MT can compete (if both were to provide same power to wheels).

I'm going to do a Stage zero tune in the future.
Man, the tune changes a lot. You will love 3rd gear. You will be afraid of WOT in 4th. You will not do much of WOT in 1-2.
You will be getting ticketed.
Not sure about the last one, and I did not get any yet, but I must say that being tuned (that is so called early Stage 1) makes me not really saving petrol.
Acceleration is completely different. It just flies. When it hits 22 psi at about 3000 rpm and holds all the way in 3rd gear, in no time you are doing over 60 mph (while before you would have been at about 50 mph).

It is just sick and wants you do more.

I will need to get better tires for summer then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts