Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I don't think my local tuner is running anything so I think it will have to be a canned tune for the time being or should I refrain from doing it? I read some encounters that leaves a lot to be desired as far as compatibility. These tunes aren't exactly bullet proof. I'd hate to have my car in the shop being diagnosed while I'm taking public transit to work. Going to get my FMIC, DP and full exhaust done within the week. Should I switch out the factory spark plugs for 'the good stuff' at the very least?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Right now I don't think my local tuner is running anything so I think it will have to be a canned tune for the time being or should I refrain from doing it? I read some encounters that leaves a lot to be desired as far as compatibility. These tunes aren't exactly bullet proof. I'd hate to have my car in the shop being diagnosed while I'm taking public transit to work. Going to get my FMIC, DP and full exhaust done within the week. Should I switch out the factory spark plugs for 'the good stuff' at the very least?
You're from ontario right? Didn't try them, just heard good opinions, onpoint dyno.

·
Registered
514 Posts
from what i understand with the can tunes you need to drive on it some and after a minor break in period you get it dynoed.
i would wait till all your bolt ons and upgrades are done before the tune. with dp and no tune chances are you will get CEL.
make sure your inspection isn't due soon before the dp install.
do some research at the VT forum. there are tons and tons of threads on this and they go into detail about it all.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Somehow people do not openly talk about tunes here...

I read tons of sites/forums about tunes. Most say "can" tune is OK. It is far better than factory tune, that is "can" as well. Yet, you get improvements in several places - depending on tune and what parameters it touches.
Sure, dyno would be the best. But from my understanding can is just fine.
Would you be able to see difference between dyno and can? Probably... but that would be something like OEM vs OEM dyno, meaning they may smooth out some parts in OEM tune without allowing for more power, better response, and such.

Will your car break down due to can tune? No more than dyno tune. I would even say dyno tune would result in more pushing for power as opposed to can tune. Dyno will see where you can push, where you cannot, and will exploit those places. Can tune is "safer". Yes, you do miss some power here and there, but not really much.
Those guys know what is happening there.

I am currently in the same spot. I am talking to one of the tuners (I do not want to publicly mention name yet, until all is done) and the company seems to know what they are doing. Many options are currently available and you can have them tune to your liking.

Which one is better?

Some folks will say tork, some will say tork got many engines fail. Some say 845, others 6th, or BTR... is there any difference? I bet there is. Is one better than others? That is personal, I'd say. Look on the price, options, and your "stage". Also, shipping, turn around time, and customer service. I made my decision based on customer service response, options, price, and distance. I am shipping ECM out, but I am thinking how likely I might be in their area in person, in the car.

Now, I am trying to find a way to verify my replacement ECM is actually good (not damaged) before I spend tons of money.

EDIT:
I would love to hear some input of the vendors here (tuners). I am afraid though, since they never said anything in those "tune threads", we might not hear anything.
I bet it would be "pissing contest" whose tune is better. I personally believe it is a bit random (I mean the car itself/engine), so whatever you get from one, might be different on another one.

As for your mods.
Yes, you can put them on, but not much of improvement will be seen. ECM is limited anyway. Once you get tuned, you can have it done such way that allows some extra power, meaning you can specify what is your current setup and what is your anticipated list of mods. Based on this, limiters can be set to accommodate for the future improvements, so when they actually happen, you will feel the power increase.

·
Registered
514 Posts
the reason for the dyno is to fine tune the one size fit all can tune from what i read.
like some have said they had success with can tune right off the bat and others not so much.
i couldn't figure out why the mixed reviews but in the end dyno usually fixes it all.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the reason for the dyno is to fine tune the one size fit all can tune from what i read.
It is just like the OEM tune. All cars are made same, but some tiny changes are present anyway. So dyno-ing OEM tune would help a lot. One size fits all...

However, with more and more experience, good tuners can see in which areas what parameters were changes with certain mods and with "custom prepared can tune" one could be quite happy.
Well, that is my understanding of the process.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somehow people do not openly talk about tunes here...

I read tons of sites/forums about tunes. Most say "can" tune is OK. It is far better than factory tune, that is "can" as well. Yet, you get improvements in several places - depending on tune and what parameters it touches.
Sure, dyno would be the best. But from my understanding can is just fine.
Would you be able to see difference between dyno and can? Probably... but that would be something like OEM vs OEM dyno, meaning they may smooth out some parts in OEM tune without allowing for more power, better response, and such.

Will your car break down due to can tune? No more than dyno tune. I would even say dyno tune would result in more pushing for power as opposed to can tune. Dyno will see where you can push, where you cannot, and will exploit those places. Can tune is "safer". Yes, you do miss some power here and there, but not really much.
Those guys know what is happening there.

I am currently in the same spot. I am talking to one of the tuners (I do not want to publicly mention name yet, until all is done) and the company seems to know what they are doing. Many options are currently available and you can have them tune to your liking.

Which one is better?

Some folks will say tork, some will say tork got many engines fail. Some say 845, others 6th, or BTR... is there any difference? I bet there is. Is one better than others? That is personal, I'd say. Look on the price, options, and your "stage". Also, shipping, turn around time, and customer service. I made my decision based on customer service response, options, price, and distance. I am shipping ECM out, but I am thinking how likely I might be in their area in person, in the car.

Now, I am trying to find a way to verify my replacement ECM is actually good (not damaged) before I spend tons of money.

EDIT:
I would love to hear some input of the vendors here (tuners). I am afraid though, since they never said anything in those "tune threads", we might not hear anything.
I bet it would be "pissing contest" whose tune is better. I personally believe it is a bit random (I mean the car itself/engine), so whatever you get from one, might be different on another one.

As for your mods.
Yes, you can put them on, but not much of improvement will be seen. ECM is limited anyway. Once you get tuned, you can have it done such way that allows some extra power, meaning you can specify what is your current setup and what is your anticipated list of mods. Based on this, limiters can be set to accommodate for the future improvements, so when they actually happen, you will feel the power increase.
Your name came to mind when I was thinking about going canned tune. At this point, I'd be happy with a little bit of power from the mods I"m installing over stock power levels. I am pretty satisfied with the stock tune as far as power goes, but from what I read the canned tunes also take care of some of the nagging problems like rev hang and more responsiveness which would suffice for now. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to reveal your tuner. If I cannot decide, I will go with BTR since they've been tuning Velosters for a number of years now and the local shop is, well, local, in case anything happens. When I was at their shop, they had a car there that was DOA. They tuned it but they passed it off as the components already on the car as the source of the problem which seems like passing the buck, if you ask me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For me I'm going to leave the ECU alone for now, but still going to do a few mods down the road.
Right now I'm working on the sound system. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Kyle @845 Motorsports and Mark @ Sxth Element, are the only people I would get a tune from.

There's another company on here, who has lots of experience, and has tuned many cars, even high HP ones, but the way they act on social media and seemingly as a company, leaves much to be desired.

They are FAMOUS for saying something, insulting or demeaning, then when the thread gets blocked, they delete their responses so they don't look bad and it seems like everyone is attacking them.

I'm not even attacking them for their parts or their tune. I just cannot support a company who is so shady, and how they provide graphs that don;t use normal units to make their dyno appear superiour...
For instance, most shops use RPM and then numbers for torques and horsepowers.
This shop uses MPH..... Apparently, it 'smooths out' the graph or something.

Anyhow. I would look to 845 or Sxth for a tune, whether it be canned or dyno'd.

But if I was doing it, I would want to have the closest tuner to me, so I could have quick touchups if it ever had to be done.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Kyle @845 Motorsports
I wanted their business as at the moment I started looking for a tune they had great offer (custom options), but they never got back to me, so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
SXTH Element Tune (+ Bolt on)
I sent in my ECU and another I got on ebay that was the EXACT SAME part number (very important).
They cloned mine & did the tune on the ebay ECU.
Got the ECU back today & installed it.
The car goes thru the gears (automatic trans) SO much smoother & the extra boost is great.
Power is delivered nice & smooth now.
Question ... How do I get this silly grin off my face?

I think I am going to need better brakes now :>)

SXTH was super helpful and very responsive to emails.

I got my ECU at:
payless auto parts | eBay Stores

p.s. Installed it after I got the tune & I had a trouble code pop up. I took the negative battery terminal for 1/2 hour & reset the ECU connectors. That cleared the codes. Nothing to do with SXTH or the ECU. My bad :>(

PLP, Thank you for the recommendations, I am SUPER pleased!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Question ... How do I get this silly grin off my face?
It will wear off.
I can tell you that.

After a while you will get used to it.

It is kind of same thing as you would drive Accent hatch 1.6 (it is NA) and then jump into F5 1.6T. You would be happy as crazy.
Then you get used to the power and are like... what to do next??

So, if you do NOT want to do more, simply put the OEM ECM back and keep it there for a month.
Swap back again and the grin will come back.

lol

My next project is bi-xenon (aka HID) retrofit. I just need to find a set of headlights and start working on it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts