Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you running stock or something different?
How do you like your tires? Comments?

How big a tire will fit? I was looking at a 225.45.18, it's 25.9" tall vs. 25" stock. Who's experimented with alternate sizes?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Bigger - depends. If you do not have OEM mud flaps, 45 profile would be OK.
Other options would be:
235/40x18
215/45x18

I put 205/60x16 as winter and it will rub a bit under certain conditions.

As for my experience: Hankook lacks any grip on wet. Especially in colder weather. Dry is great. Wear is way below expectations.

I always had good experience with Continentals. Maybe wear was not the best (relatively quick, but not as bad as Hankook). DWS or the special model for Discount Tire provided excellent grip and almost no hydroplaning.
That is based on 2007 KIA Rondo with 225/50x17.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I buy and trade pretty frequently. More often than not I'll replace the OE because typically they're not the finest quality tires and considering tires are your one lifeline, I take them seriously.
I used to routinely go up one size, I never had a fitment issue. That was before +1 and +2 and +0 and all that came into vogue.

From the TR research I've done, I like the looks of the BFG g-Force Comp-2 A/S, they seem like a talented all-around performer.

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am at about 7500k miles on my BFG COMP 2 A/S. I cannot say enough how amazing these tires are. Absolutely tons of grip in any conditions, no tramming or wander at highway speed anymore. With my few mods on the stock Nexans at 20k miles I could light up the tires with traction control off in 2nd gear from a roll in the dry in an automatic. Now even hard launches elicit only momentary wheelspin. Cornering these tires are capable of more grip than our cars can offer(I have a 2014 Koup SX, tork rigid subframe collars, 3pc Evilla chassis brace set). I've ran UHP Summer tires before that didnt offer the grip these tires do in any condition.

It was about 32° F today where I live and snow and sleet and still they rode comfortably and handled great. Ive rotated once at about 5k miles on them, wear seems to be good i figure 30k to 35k miles how I drive which is great for a high performance tire to me. Only downside is theyre a bit noiser at highway speeds but not unbearable even the A/C or Heat will tune out the extra noise. Gas mileage took a hit too of about 10 percent less overall on these but its so worth it to have a tire with these capabilities.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that report, Prince bigd. Good to hear from an actual user.

I have about 16,500 on my Pirelli P7s. They seem to do the trick generally, but it's easy to get rubber on takeoff and the Soul at 164 HP out of the 2.0 is not brimming with low end. One plus to that is I egged on a guy in a hot Mustang to tear off at a stoplight in Dearborn one day when we were visiting the museum.

TR says the P7 greatest weakness is in the wet. I haven't reached that limit yet and don't plan on it, I don't want to find out in a do-or-die situation. But my next car will probably have those ^^ BFG. I violated my primary rule which is wet performance is Job #1, you already have reduced traction.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Dearborn one day when we were visiting the museum.
The Henry Ford? Are you in Detroit area?

BTW, I also first and foremost look on wet grip.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Sort of. Toledo area. Or South Detroit as I may start to call it.
Oh, I though you were closer to Lansing... too bad. I have never seen any SX here...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts