Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what tires brands come standard on the 2016 SX Koup? Probably have been a few different brands, weather and speed rating etc. Forgot to look when I was at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Since size is same across Koup and 5, I would presume tires are same as well - Hankook Optimo H426 and Nexen Classe Premiere CP671.

Hankook had very bad thread life and very low grip on wet. Dry was very decent with a very distinct smell when burning.

I find Nexens to have better grip on wet so far. I cannot tell more yet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I"m talking to finance this week and I'm going to review what tires come on the Koup. Cheap tires are very annoying if they get squirmy, wash-out or won't stay balanced.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I"m talking to finance this week and I'm going to review what tires come on the Koup. Cheap tires are very annoying if they get squirmy, wash-out or won't stay balanced.
No, do not take it wrong.
I do not think Hankook is cheap. It is about 160 a piece. That is not cheap. Nexen is cheaper, actually...

Anyway, I never had any balancing problem with them for the 10k miles I had the car. At 20k miles and speed 110-120 MPH they rolled smooth. All speeds were fine.
Again, I cannot say much about Nexen yet, as I just put 300 miles on them. So far I can say they hold a bit better, but there was no pushing so much yet.

I had very good experience with Continentals (DWS or Sport contact - this DT special thread). Smooth, great traction on wet. Wear not so great, but heck - that was on me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used the nexens for 20k miles. I personally thought they did really well in the rain or wet conditions. I would hit spots where you would think that you would hydroplane and they didn't. obviously I had more wheel spin in wet conditions but they seemed to always be true to the road. however at 20k my front tires were torched. but all my fault.... rear were about 50% I didn't measure them before I took them off. A simple rotation would have solved my premature replacement. But I like them for daily driver use. I will purchase a different brand this summer but I drive my car rather aggressive.

In snow even a dusting I would rather walk than use those tires though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its' going to be interesting to check the tires on the SX Koup I'm looking at again on Wednesday. If I don't like the rubber they can always come off and go on Craigslist.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, do not take it wrong.
I do not think Hankook is cheap. It is about 160 a piece. That is not cheap. Nexen is cheaper, actually...

Anyway, I never had any balancing problem with them for the 10k miles I had the car. At 20k miles and speed 110-120 MPH they rolled smooth. All speeds were fine.
Again, I cannot say much about Nexen yet, as I just put 300 miles on them. So far I can say they hold a bit better, but there was no pushing so much yet.

I had very good experience with Continentals (DWS or Sport contact - this DT special thread). Smooth, great traction on wet. Wear not so great, but heck - that was on me.
There's a difference between cheap and junk. Some very poor tires are very costly. I use Tire Rack and Consumer Reports ratings since they have the most extensive test facilities and appear to do the most thorough testing of tires. If there's a disagreement in their ratings, I go with TR.
And customer comments, they can be useful. But as customers we really just get to compare our old tires with our new tires, not like having four to eight sets swapping out to have fun with.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a difference between cheap and junk. Some very poor tires are very costly. I use Tire Rack and Consumer Reports ratings since they have the most extensive test facilities and appear to do the most thorough testing of tires. If there's a disagreement in their ratings, I go with TR.
And customer comments, they can be useful. But as customers we really just get to compare our old tires with our new tires, not like having four to eight sets swapping out to have fun with.
PLP - I hope you have a compelling reason to drive 110-120 OR are just bullshitting and bragging. Like that other forum member who stated he "routinely drives at 140 mph".

Neanderthal - tire rack tries to road test tires objectively, they just produce that video to sell their tires. Consumer reports uses their testing facility, fair enough, but they just use factory suspension set ups. If the OEM tires on the Koup I want to buy are squirmy, esp with the factory suspension, and after some suspension upgrades (which I'll post in great detail) - I'll swap the OEM rubber for something with better performance. Lots of tire shops where I live - I don't need snow or winter or all season tires where I live in California anyway - just good performance radials.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
PLP - I hope you have a compelling reason to drive 110-120 OR are just bullshitting and bragging. Like that other forum member who stated he "routinely drives at 140 mph".
It is not bs... and nothing really to be bragging about. It just happened on a nice stretch of a highway with two other guys (some Infinity SUV and Audi S6) to clock 120 mph for a short moment and a few longer runs at 100-110. It all happened on one day while driving to Chicago.
Normally I drive at 65 mph on 70 limit. This way I get 32-36 mpg (that was the stick shift). On rare occasions I would push 85 or so.

first - the roads are not prepared
second - many drivers are clueless how to behave

No, I am not super proud of it as any moron can push the gas and get 130 mph in Forte SX.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts