Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a few very light scratches in my cars paint the scratches are so faint i can barley see them but it bothers me because my car is only 4 months old, i was thinking about bringing my car to a car wash and getting it hand waxed with a orbital polisher for $40 or going to the auto zone and buy scrath x 2.0 and try getting them out my self, which way is the most efective ?

Registered
I am not really in the know on this stuff, but my son put on nice scratch on my wife's optima (only 3 months old....the car not the kid) and I used turtle 馃悽 waxes black box along with alot of elbow grease. It's still visible but may move on to scratch x next. Black box only works on black cars though.

Premium Member
First off it depends how deep the scratch is. Do they look like spider Web scratches or normal scraches and how deep are they? If spider Web looking scratches they come out the easiest with a little work. You want to look for a rubbing compound like at autozone or even walmart. The ones I have used is mothers or meguires before switching to more professional stuff. You want to use the rubbing compound on a microfiber towel and work it on the scratches with a good amount of pressure. Just keep working them and wiping off to see how far they have disappeared.

The best way is to clay bar the whole car then do the whole car with a buffer with the compound and then do a polish on it whatever wax you like the best. I use a nano skin pad (simular to a clay bar) then a HD cutting compound and then a polish with wax.

It can take some time to do it so if you don't feel like taking the time or working out your arm if you don't have a buffer then take it to someone to get it to look like glass. What sucks about my car is its the snow pearl white and is really hard to see the fine scratches and contaminants on the paint. A good trick is to put your hand in a plastic zip lock style bag when washing the car and feel around the car with it. The bag makes your touch more sensitive to the microscopic stuff that is on the paint.

Reactions: Trocko

Registered
I don't mean this in a mean way at all, but if you aren't sure about removing light scratches you might want to stay away from clay to start with. If you drop it or have something abrasive on your hand or pick up something abrasive somewhere you can add more scratches pretty easily.

If they're really light then just grab some decent polish and use a little elbow grease. Make sure to finish off with a decent wax to protect your paint.

You might be suprised how easily those really light ones come out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts