Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe what you are seeing is the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) light, and it means that one or more of your tires is over or under inflated.

This is common when it's cold as the tire pressure tends to drop. This is normal, and doesn't mean you have a leak. Check all of your tires to make sure they are at 32 PSI. If any are low, inflate them to 32 PSI and after you have driven a while, the light will go off. If all of the tires are at 32 PSI, then you will need to schedule a service appointment to have the system checked.

99.9% sure it's just a low tire(s) due to the colder weather starting to settle in.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I call it the idiot light. Mine came on and I aired it to 34psi and never went off. Took it to the dealer and they claimed that I had the tires at 19psi. and that's why it stayed on. Then I went back with 3 gauges and all read 44psi and theirs still read 33psi! So I dropped them down to what my gauge said and every once in a while it comes on. So yeah idiot light lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do we know if this is a batch system (looks for pressure differences between the tires and if one is 5psi lower than the others it will trigger the system) or an individual tire pressure monitor system (where it looks at all tires but alerts you if one or more is below a certain psi)?

·
Registered
580 Posts
The ones that came in the 2014 and 15 had issues. I had the ones in my EX swapped to the cheaper Elantra ones by the dealer after doing a out of pocket cost things like adding nitrogen to the tires which did nothing . Unfortunately from what I got it's not a simple swap . You have to get it programed to the ecu . The dealer can do it though . They then only go off at 25 instead of 29 or 30

Reactions: Codeeman12

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
From what I understand, the TPM is supposed to aleart you any time any tire is not at or near 32 PSI, So it should alert if the tire is under or over inflated.
Thats strange because the dealer way over inflated my tires and it never came on. They still say my gauges are off but I bought 3 more just to be safe and still reads that they over inflated

·
Registered
524 Posts
Our old 2005 Rav4 may have triggered on high...but it didn't actually have TPMS sensors. It used the abs sensors to detect a difference between all 4 wheels and if one was out of whack(high or low) it would throw the light. Would prefer that system since it means you can swap out rims without getting new sensors or moving the existing ones. Or at least a system found in other cars that actually shows the psi readout of all 4 tires. Can't be much more costly to implement than the dummy light for the manufacturer. Some actually have that as a hidden feature that you have to go into a debug mode to see, which is especially silly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.