Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Southern Ontario.

If memory serves, this is from a tractor trailer not clearing their ice and snow and a piece of it came flying at me this past winter. When I inspected the car, was looking for a cracked windshield. Didn't see this at all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
it doesn't look too bad. is it worth dumping money on it?
you could wait for hail or something a little more major.
if you got money to waste then i suppose why not lol.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I am confused. Is it chipped windshield? If so, it should not really rust underneath.... it would be just discoloration that is not harmful.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am confused. Is it chipped windshield? If so, it should not really rust underneath.... it would be just discoloration that is not harmful.
You're looking at the windshield on the left, the right side is the roof. It's very close to the middle where the rearview mirror would sit. It's definitely rusting past the clear coat and into the bare metal as you can see brown. It's like it's eating away. I wouldn't want to know what a roof would cost to replace if it's even possible if left untreated.

Full disclosure, I don't get to see my car much in the day time. I'm a third shift worker so I sometimes only get to wash it the dead of night. Kind of begs the question why I'm putting so much money into it when I don't even get to appreciate it in its full glory, lol.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it doesn't look too bad. is it worth dumping money on it?
you could wait for hail or something a little more major.
if you got money to waste then i suppose why not lol.
Hell no, I don't. I rather spend that money on other useless stuff I can do to the car.

But seriously, I'll touch it up with a paint pen and see if it gets any worse then I can take the appropriate steps.

Regarding hail, if the roof gets cratered from hail, I'm leaving it alone. I don't think insurance covers hail.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hell no, I don't. I rather spend that money on other useless stuff I can do to the car.

But seriously, I'll touch it up with a paint pen and see if it gets any worse then I can take the appropriate steps.

Regarding hail, if the roof gets cratered from hail, I'm leaving it alone. I don't think insurance covers hail.
as long as the metal is covered you should be good

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am assuming you mean "windshield and roof" You should get that fixed ASAP you dont want to let anything jeopardize that seal between the windshield and roof once it gets behind the seal you will have issues with leaks and once it starts growing under that seal it will be a non stop problem, get it fixed. Funny thing about rust under paint it is always a larger area than it appears until you start digging it may be a lot more than you think.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I still do not think the brown discoloration is rust. Windshield is glued. There is no metal underneath. It is "plyglass". You are looking either on the inner plastic film between the glasses, or discoloration of the glue/seal.
Besides, you have the sunshade band there. That could also cause some colour bleaching...

But I could be wrong...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still do not think the brown discoloration is rust. Windshield is glued. There is no metal underneath. It is "plyglass". You are looking either on the inner plastic film between the glasses, or discoloration of the glue/seal.
Besides, you have the sunshade band there. That could also cause some colour bleaching...

But I could be wrong...
It's not the windshield at all. There is no glass where the rust has started, no glass, I repeat. IT's completely on the roof itself.

Yeah, I'm going in to a bodyshop and get a quote.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It's not the windshield at all. There is no glass where the rust has started, no glass, I repeat. IT's completely on the roof itself.

Yeah, I'm going in to a bodyshop and get a quote.
OK, I understand. It's just the way the picture shows it, it looks like cracked glass. The edge is so sharp like on the windshield. I would think roof line is more oblong...
Depending how they want to do that, but most likely they will want to pain the whole roof and blend in on pillars or on the channels.
Some cheap solution is to sand it, rust proof it, and paint only this area blending in within 20 cm.
But that is black pearl, right? So hard to make it unnoticeable...

Good luck.

Still the picture is confusing to me... :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I understand. It's just the way the picture shows it, it looks like cracked glass. The edge is so sharp like on the windshield. I would think roof line is more oblong...
Depending how they want to do that, but most likely they will want to pain the whole roof and blend in on pillars or on the channels.
Some cheap solution is to sand it, rust proof it, and paint only this area blending in within 20 cm.
But that is black pearl, right? So hard to make it unnoticeable...

Good luck.

Still the picture is confusing to me... :)

I would be confused too if I wasn't the one taking the picture. Both are very similar shade of black and it doesn't help that they're both wet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts