Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gal(s)?)
I just got an email from valvoline and apparently they are launching a fuel treatment for GDI engines. I'll paste below what the email said.

Valvoline is launching a groundbreaking fuel system service for gasoline direct-injection systems. The first-of-its-kind fuel system service, EASYGDITM with Power Dispersal TechnologyTM, removes carbon deposits from hard-to-reach intake valves, piston tops, cylinder heads and fuel injectors in gasoline direct injection engines.
In just over one hour, EasyGDI’s revolutionary chemical formulation, allows 10 powerful detergents to melt away carbon deposits and circulate to the toughest places to clean in a GDI fuel system without painstaking labor or an intensive dismantle of the engine and fuel system.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So I wonder how will it work?

Cause if its another bottle that you add to your tank it's not gonna touch the valves.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
that is the issue... seafoam has a can with a spray in treatment that comes with a specifically designed straw that you can shoot into the intake while the car the is running.

in the KIA/hyundai manuals i believe it says to use a bottle of fuel cleaner at every 3k or oil change interval... i would think it has more to do with the high pressure pump and the high pressure injectors... like a diesel motor... probably wont be too long and we will probably see dual fuel filter kits for GDI gas motors like the diesel guys got

·
Registered
521 Posts
that is the issue... seafoam has a can with a spray in treatment that comes with a specifically designed straw that you can shoot into the intake while the car the is running.

in the KIA/hyundai manuals i believe it says to use a bottle of fuel cleaner at every 3k or oil change interval... i would think it has more to do with the high pressure pump and the high pressure injectors... like a diesel motor... probably wont be too long and we will probably see dual fuel filter kits for GDI gas motors like the diesel guys got
I've never seafoamed a turbo motor but from what I've read it's not a great idea to add any liquid or spray pre-turbo. So seafoaming would need to be done post turbo under vaccum.
Just thought that might be worth noting.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Idk if it does the valves... But I would think if they spent the time to send out a email like that it ain't going to be a Lucas oil gas add in

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've never seafoamed a turbo motor but from what I've read it's not a great idea to add any liquid or spray pre-turbo. So seafoaming would need to be done post turbo under vaccum.
Just thought that might be worth noting.
i know that. the straw is bent to where you remove the coupler at the throttle body, then put the straw in and then resecure the coupler and then turn on the engine and let it idle and then you spray the entire can in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
what fuel treatment do they reccomend for our cars? At the 3k intervals?
Manual calls for a fuel treatment every 7,500 miles only if you do not use top-tier gas. It says to use some Kia specific product from the dealer of course and it also says not to add anything else to the system.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Manual calls for a fuel treatment every 7,500 miles only if you do not use top-tier gas. It says to use some Kia specific product from the dealer of course and it also says not to add anything else to the system.
Just because I like making big white clouds of smoke I use Sea Foam every 10K miles through a vacuum line. Guess when I pull the intake to check the intake valves I will see how well it has done.

Reactions: 2014:1.6lT

·
Registered
521 Posts
i know that. the straw is bent to where you remove the coupler at the throttle body, then put the straw in and then resecure the coupler and then turn on the engine and let it idle and then you spray the entire can in.

I wasn't questioning whether you knew it or not. But there are a lot of people that have never seafoamed a car or maybe never a turbo car before. I was just adding on to what you said. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the tree huggers want cleaner air, so they put standards on everything except a cows ass.... And yet, looky there.... IT'S STILL GOTTA BURN....... .....
And I bet they all drive a prius that's battery is more toxic than a coal train -_-

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wasn't questioning whether you knew it or not. But there are a lot of people that have never seafoamed a car or maybe never a turbo car before. I was just adding on to what you said. :)
what do we have to do different then what was shown on the video?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I didn't watch the video. If it adds it at the throttle body then you dont. If it adds it into a preturbo vacuum line then there's potential to cause damage to the turbo.
Like I said, it's just worth noting. Some people may not care and want to inject it pre turbo.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
what do we have to do different then what was shown on the video?
pretty much nothing, because your spraying it at the throttle body... during the the spraying you will probably have a boost leak at the straw though if you rev in into boost

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In that video he checks the cylinders for carbon, don't GDI engines build up the gunk on the valves?
true... but spraying it through the intake that way will cause the seafoam to get onto the valves... the only way to check the back side of the valves (where the carbon builds up) would be to scope through the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
no problem. i know there are new people that are just getting started and you were looking out for their benefit not to cause issues with their turbo.

Reactions: lephoenix

·
Registered
445 Posts
true... but spraying it through the intake that way will cause the seafoam to get onto the valves... the only way to check the back side of the valves (where the carbon builds up) would be to scope through the intake manifold.
I gotcha, the GDI fuel spray is directly inside the piston versus the way he does it, earlier in the intake.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just ordered the seafoam fogger. I've used it on my G6 before with good results. Hopefully don't run into any problems on this one. I'm just now at 13k miles, so probably prime time to try cleaning the valves and intake. I am interested to see how the valvoline product is applied.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts