Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I saw a guy on the forte forum run his car similar to this setup . Unfortunately though they never answered my question as to why he ran it like this . The guy apparently does no longer owns a forte turbo so he is possibly never on there to explain . K5 optima says "that's the way its suppose to be " but I take their advice with a grain of salt after an over phone discussion which lead me to believe they are the worst place to ask when doing things to your car , but that's another story .

So before I attempt doing this to my car I decided to discuss it with you guys and get feed back .
I know Corksport is a Mazda tuner but they have been at it longer and with the similarities between Ford,Mazda Mitsubishi KIA and Hyundai, I felt it was a very relevant source

The Inner Workings of the CorkSport Oil Catch Can | CorkSport Mazda Performance - Blog

So today I was reading a blog from Corksport and they say to run a "T" fitting to connect the hoses from the "PCV" and the "cam case breather" to the "oil catch can" inlet .
Then connect the hose from the outlet of the OCC to the intake tube .

Apparently according to the blog this helps the car work more efficiently buy venting the crank case whilst under boost . As when in the current setup the crank case can not vent at all while under boost and has to wait increasing trapped vapors inside of the motor keeping it cleaner than the current setups . From what I am reading also whilst under boost the pressure in the bottom end is released more efficient so the motor can possibly rev faster under a theory I have . Its a small gain I would think but none the less a plus ! 2l9nx95.jpg Picture4.png

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is a interesting setup but I would probably find a fitting that would replace the PCV valve (or just gut the valve out of the stock one) to open up the flow. PCV valves are designed to operate under vacuum which is not used in this setup. Other than that I don't see much of a issue with it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vacuum is there . Running it through the intake tube there is a great source . Turbo is a huge vacuum . I tried to talk to corks port but they have not gotten back to me , because I think they suggest what you are saying and to remove the PCV completely . The valve was placed there to stop the boost from re entering the head . But since it would now have constant vac . I don't see it having a purpose anymore . I really wonder why the NA Motor has one , because there is never a scenario for excess pressurere entering the head . I could be mistaken though

·
Registered
981 Posts
The vacuum is there . Running it through the intake tube there is a great source . Turbo is a huge vacuum . I tried to talk to corks port but they have not gotten back to me , because I think they suggest what you are saying and to remove the PCV completely . The valve was placed there to stop the boost from re entering the head . But since it would now have constant vac . I don't see it having a purpose anymore . I really wonder why the NA Motor has one , because there is never a scenario for excess pressurere entering the head . I could be mistaken though
The turbo won't create the same vacuum in the intake tube that the intake manifold creates. If you are creating a vacuum in the intake tube you really need to change the air filter JK.

Intake manifold vacuum at cruising speeds 10-14
Air intake tube at cruising speeds 0-1

Intake tube will have airflow but no actual vacuum to speak of.

Reactions: Caezar

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get -20 from the intake manifold pressure . I have no idea what it is on the inlet pre turbo . Would be nice to know in real time if someone has the ability to do it . I don't have a vac testing gauge . I wonder if they have cheap ones that I could rig it to see how much vac actually is present in the hose compared to the intake mani pressure ?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have a gauge if I can find it lol! If I can find it I will see how I can hook it up to test

·
Registered
981 Posts
I get -20 from the intake manifold pressure . I have no idea what it is on the inlet pre turbo . Would be nice to know in real time if someone has the ability to do it . I don't have a vac testing gauge . I wonder if they have cheap ones that I could rig it to see how much vac actually is present in the hose compared to the intake mani pressure ?
That was the actual intake tube (stock tube and airbox) reading. Now with the 3.5" tube and a K&N filter there isn't enough to get a reading which is exactly what you want from a intake.

Reactions: Forte5 and Caezar

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just made a very valid point . Thank you for that input . Yet on pondering this just now . If that's the case then vacuum for the cam breather will be compromised now with the larger 3.5 intake tube . It deffinately from what I've seen dyno wise makes an excellent modification to add a wide no restriction intake . But where should we find a happy medium for the cam shaft breather to pull vac since it becomes the main work horse whilst under boost ?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
If it still needs vac we can always use a T fitting to go off the pcv catch can but it will only see vac when not in boost

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah and that's an issue . The most critical time is when it's under boost it needs a way to vent pressure .

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
On my car I just have it going to the can from the breather and have a filter on the outlet side of the can.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Venting to atmosphere ? That's safer than the other one you mentioned . But know God forbid a cop looks under that hood lol

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
They have already looked under the hood. He didn't really mind but he said if another officer sees it then they can tell me to change it back.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The rear vent is just that "a vent" it doesn't need suction or anything to work just a place to breath. Those with strict emissions should be fine with with a catch can or some means of separating the oil and air before venting to atmosphere. The PCV is what controls crankcase pressure during normal driving and while in boost any excess pressure is pushed out of the breather tube.
AND Actually I stopped by a local speed shop today that mainly does Fords but is expanding their smaller parts to more auto manufacturers. So what is being redesigned is a oil cap for us that has a separator that returns the oil back to the engine while letting the air breath freely through a filter. All measurements and pictures where done today. Sits flush with the engine cover and will have a variety of color choices for the top of the filter (I like the one that was the same color as the plastic on the cover, made the hole for the cap disappear).
Will know more in about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like the grim speed ? category11926_thumb_full.jpg

·
Registered
981 Posts
Like the grim speed ?
The Grimm Speed that they make for the Subi doesn't fit our car. They are a 40mmx4.0 thread and we are 34mmx4.0, I would say the new one will not be $277.19 lol.

Will be more like this and available in 8 different colors
s-l1600 (1).jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting .
I read some more blogs today . About old and new systems . One suggested the PCV to OCC to a breather filter like Forte5 has . So if Forte5 is not getting any cel's that means one the ECM is not getting tripped . That's a plus . Now if I recall his car gets good gas milage so plus number two ! The car is not noticing the change so it's not being calculated in the MAP ! So if Forte5 can confirm this . Then what a lot of us wants to do to our cars to vent the gasses and separate the oil is sky's the limit . Only down side I read about the vent to air systems is dirt and oil under hoods . The fumes that do get by , when eliminating the diverting system will end up gathering in the engine bay .

Either way we chose to do it . The factory system is very bad for a perfomance setup . It's possibly designed for normal use . But when going past the factory psi , the system deffinately does not work well . Closing the valve under extreme boost for long periods of time over time could possibly be adding a lot of damage . So now I have an idea of what I'm going to do for now

(After Forte5 chimes in to confirm lol ) and keep an eye and ear out for reviews on this oil cap setup . Less hoses and parts are a huge plus :))

1 - 17 of 17 Posts