Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my Forte turbo for about a month, and thus far have managed to not mod it..... Until last night. I pooped my hood and started poking around and saw the inter cooler and the air boxes that direct the air to it and thought that was way cool. but.... THEN I NOTICED THE DAMN INTER COOLER DOESN'T HAVE A FAN ON IT!? Am I blind or did they really not put one on..... I mean.... I have ran boosted cars before with no fan on an inter cooler but I figured they'd put one on stock!. Where I live it gets 120 in the summer, that damn turbo is guna die if I sit in traffic! Anyways I think I am going to throw one on there. Unless someone has a better idea.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Aftermarket fmic or remove to stock shroud, there is a thread on it. Intercooler sprayer? Either way though, I am sure your turbo would be fine. It's the hot air it pushes into the engine you would have to worry about. Or leave it stock and if you have any problems, you have warranty, not sure what your plans are for the car?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read that sprayer thread right after I posted this haha. I question why they did that with the shroud......

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Don't put a fan on the stock i.c. it won't push or pull enough air and will actually block air. I live in the same weather and I will be doing a fmic hopefully before summer.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i have never heard of a fan being on a stock intercooler
but regardless you will be fine. Even though the area you live in gets very hot, the vehicle is designed to work in various climates. With that being said though given the temperatures being that high your power output will suffer compared to others. There are many ways to go as far as bringing down temps. Firstly let me just say, altering or removing the shrouds for you intercooler are just minor alterations. But either way you look at it, everything counts.
As far as your case is concerned though, you need to figure out what your goals are and start from there.
But either way i would highly suggest you focus on stepping up to a FMIC and just take things from there

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So I have had my Forte turbo for about a month, and thus far have managed to not mod it..... Until last night. I pooped my hood and started poking around and saw the inter cooler and the air boxes that direct the air to it and thought that was way cool. but.... THEN I NOTICED THE DAMN INTER COOLER DOESN'T HAVE A FAN ON IT!? Am I blind or did they really not put one on..... I mean.... I have ran boosted cars before with no fan on an inter cooler but I figured they'd put one on stock!. Where I live it gets 120 in the summer, that damn turbo is guna die if I sit in traffic! Anyways I think I am going to throw one on there. Unless someone has a better idea.
the main things here is... what do you do with you car.??
is this just a daily?
Do you do spiritual backroad/mountain driving?
do you track your car?
Do you like performance ??
All these things come into play.
As i said in my last post, and i say this to everyone.
What are you goals? that is where is should start

·
Registered
468 Posts
one outer food for thought.. your intercooler is not under load all the time like a radiator.. its only working when you are flooring the gas and bringing up boost.. running my torque app.. our cars even at 90 miles an hour cruse are still not under boost.. so your intercooler is only heat soaking in slow moving traffic with lots of stopping and starting.. a fan would not help this issue one bit.. as speeds above 45. your car is getting more air than a fan can pull in.. even a good race fan.. at least not with our stock boost levels.. Fans on intercoolers.. were are mostly used on really highly boosted cars modded.. that don't have good air flow or back flow to the intercoolers.. Think Nissan z32 twin turbos with a front mount.. or the FD mazda rx7 with front mounts.. now if you would like to try one.. ill tell you that it will help but not how you think.. a fan on a intercooler.. will help pre cooler your intercooler.. like if you are waiting in the pits to do a drag run or about to hit a road course.. but spraying your IC down with 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water.. will do the same thing.. as when you get up to speed your fan will do nothing.. but the spray will.. hope this helps.. here is a test.. to prove the point.. walk out side and get hot and sweaty.. than go inside and put your arm in front of a fan to cool off.. next do the same thing again.. but this time pour water over your arm.. what cooled you off sooner.. and the real test.. go get hot again.. and this time pour rubbing alcohol over your self.. water and rubbing alcohol.. is the best mix..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my cobalt (supercharged) I ran a method kit. But I am deathly afraid of method because it ate the lining of the supercharger turbine screws. Now, are you saying to spray the outside of the cooler with alcohol, like with a mist or are you talking in line like meth kit. My goals... This car is my first new car, and I have two other cars to mod and break. This car I'd like to get the "wtf is in that car" face from d-bags. I know for sure this car is wayyyyyy to quiet. I've never owned a quiet car, if I did it wasn't quiet for long. I'm a "Honda modder" and like experimenting with upgrades. I know some on here have done a short air intake and that's okay, I made mine and it helped but of course is sucking in hot air. But costed me $10. So its temporary mod but as I said, it is just a test.

Is any of this making sense?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
On my cobalt (supercharged) I ran a method kit. But I am deathly afraid of method because it ate the lining of the supercharger turbine screws. Now, are you saying to spray the outside of the cooler with alcohol, like with a mist or are you talking in line like meth kit. My goals... This car is my first new car, and I have two other cars to mod and break. This car I'd like to get the "wtf is in that car" face from d-bags. I know for sure this car is wayyyyyy to quiet. I've never owned a quiet car, if I did it wasn't quiet for long. I'm a "Honda modder" and like experimenting with upgrades. I know some on here have done a short air intake and that's okay, I made mine and it helped but of course is sucking in hot air. But costed me $10. So its temporary mod but as I said, it is just a test.

Makes a lot of sense
And your reasoning is the same reason why I'm
In the middle of building monster of a forte
I shall nick name it "butthurter"

·
Registered
468 Posts
You spray rubbing achole with water if you are doing a intercooler sprayer kit.. to help super charge the cooling properties of water.. methanol injection.. does drop intake temps.. but it also acts as a fuel and octane booster.. to different types of tuning.. one is to help address heat soak in the intercooler.. adding methanol.. wile it does cool the intake charge.. its main reason.. it to allow a more aggressive tune.. you are effectively adding a second fuel to your car and increasing detonation resistance with normal gas..

·
Registered
209 Posts

Yeah it's very quiet from stock. I think Kia intended this as a "GT" hatch. Put a 6th Intake on, and delete the BPV... that alone will get you a lot of "Did that come from a Kia??"

Kneegradamus is trying to dominate the sport compact scene... he is going all out :D

Usually you want to use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water to spray down IC when running hot if you don't have a sprayer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hold up!....
"60mm throttle body (2.0L Soul)"
....meaning you just bolt on the tb right off a 2l soul!?
My step dad does somthing somewhere (don't wan't any trouble now) and I can get stock KIA parts EASY... So tell me more. Now I'm just plain excited

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damnit I told myself to leave this car alone.... I need to go to rehab i think... Im addicted to not stock cars...

·
Registered
468 Posts
the soul 2.0 throttle body will bolt up but you will need to fabricate a cold pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body ( the factory pipe is to small.. its not really needed at stock tuning levels.. but if you happen to have one.. install it.. and do the radiator delete mod aswell.. ( you plug the throttle body's coolant lines so the radiator fluid does not super heat your throttle body).. happy modding there is a link and photos on the throttle body radiator bypass on here.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hold up!....
"60mm throttle body (2.0L Soul)"
....meaning you just bolt on the tb right off a 2l soul!?
My step dad does somthing somewhere (don't wan't any trouble now) and I can get stock KIA parts EASY... So tell me more. Now I'm just plain excited
Even on a stock setup you will notice a difference but this mod really shows its face once you have the FMIC. It will take a little work to adapt it to a stock IC.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in heaven! I have looked for those silly "block this" "kink that" things on here but prob just get distracted haha. Ill look up that bypass and BPV! Muahahaha.... But I do have to be careful.... Step dad may or may not work for Kia and I am digging this warranty thing so

·
Registered
981 Posts
If done right everything you mod can be reversed and put back to stock if needed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have my stock intake filter box in my trunk in case I have to go to the dealer Ill just throw it back in haha

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Don't do that hack. It will kill your stock bov. A lot of people said only when tuned and a better bov

1 - 20 of 33 Posts