Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have uneven length headers installed on our cars to get a more rumble/pop sound like the STIs?

This guy did it for his BRZ which are pretty non Subaru like from the factory.

Anyone make headers for our cars with many beefier sounds and/or better performance?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Part of the reason for the rumble in the Subaru is because of the boxer engine layout, and having unequal length headers enhances that. it's not totally lost with equal length headers but is reduced. I'm not sure if we'd get any kind of rumble from the inline 4 that we have in our cars. The BRZ does appear to have a boxer engine, so that could explain the rumble aspect.
As to how to get a better / deeper sound from our cars, not sure.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You can absolutely install an unequal length header on your car and it will absolutely have a unique sound.

That being said, to my knowledge we have no headers available. So it would have to be a custom job. Which could be done. But it would cost. And since they're feeding right into a turbo it will muffle any sound difference.
Before you got a custom unequal length header built I would do some research on the benefits/negatives for that type of application on a turbo motor over our stock manifold.

It might be better or it might not. I doubt it would be but I don't really know.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Actually I think I did see that someone offered a replacement manifold. Probably not what you're looking for but I believe there is one available.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I wouldn't dare design an unequal length turbo manifold (or header). It would hinder spool performance for the turbo and throttle response could suffer.

If you're chasing a certain sound, do it using different types of mufflers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I wouldn't dare design an unequal length turbo manifold (or header). It would hinder spool performance for the turbo and throttle response could suffer.

Could an unequal length header be used to maximize scavanging?

·
Registered
521 Posts

You don't have unequal lengths for performance. It's for sound.
Those were exactly my thoughts but it's got the potential to sound cool.

·
Registered
468 Posts
really the reason the Subaru turbo boxer motors have unequal length manifolds.. if for packaging reasons.. the turbo sits just behind and below the left cylinder bank packaged up next to the fire wall.. if they were equal the packaging would put the turbo in the place where the oil pan is or on top where the intercooler sits.. the sound the boxer motor makes comes not just from the manifold but form the firing order of the motor.. Subaru flat fours have a different firing order to take advantage of.. that manifold..
The set up in our car is actually pretty good.. for what its was designed to do..( to not feel like a turbo) Kia kept the turbo small( with a twin scroll setup to spool fast ) with small size piping to and short runs.. and a small intercooler.. all of this was to make the car just feel like a bigger NA motor.. not a turbo motor.. if any of you has ever had a blow out on the pipe and had to limp home.. with no boost.. the 1.6 is pretty strong and makes power even with no boost..
if you are looking for sound.. try taking out the second cat and muffler and opening up(larger size) the boost pipe from the turbo to the intercooler it will have a gruff chopped sound,.. form the high speed small turbo we run..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually the turbo sits up top next to the top mount intercooler on the wrx/sti. The hood scoop even has an opening to vent/push fresh air on that general area.

They do make equal length headers by running the drivers side pipes like stock but lengthening the passenger side pipes out towards the rear. It gets rid of a good amount of the burble.

For scavenging, the old tri-y was supposed to be one of the best. But due to space on these cars and the story range from the head to turbo is probably not feasible.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think the best redesign in theory for our setup would be an external waste gate . From looking at the design of our internal waste gate it's too close to the exit on the turbo so using a internal DP split design is impossible . Running the external would create better flow and act like a header on a turbo car . Keeping even smooth flow . The gain would improve a lot . And surge reduces even more from what I have read . Like I said in theory as to what it would do on our 1.6 but on the 2.0 lap3 was able to squeeze even more power out of a stock motor using this setup .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
jesus ..... nothing against the OP but i thought threads like this were pre 2010? like brian o-conner days.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts