Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2016 sx at. I don't want to do many mods to my car (initially, I am sure after a while this will change) as the stock performance is pretty great. However, is there anything that can be done to increase performance at the low end. When I start off in 1st gear from a stop the car is not very responsive until the turbo spools up.
Basically I hit the accelerator and it accelerates slow so push harder on the gas then bam boost kicks in and it is at 4500 - 5500 rpm. Would like to have a smoother acceleration from a stop.
I am a total noob when it comes to turbos and I have learned a lot from reading this forum.
I understand that the issue is the turbo can't produce any boost at low rpms as there isn't enough exhaust to compress the air.
So any tweaks that can overcome this?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Nope, not really.
Bigger engine... with more torque on the low end. You get 1.6 that makes maybe 120 HP and 110 lb*ft if naturally aspirated. So do not expect very hard pull at idle speed.

What did you drive earlier?

I quite frankly do not find this one to be slow in 1st gear, but I am talking M/T.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Our motors make full torque at 1750 rpms with very little if any noticable lag. Drive something with a huge single scroll turbo and you'll know what lag is.

Any more torque down low and you'll spin your wheels through Sunday.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah just came here to say that ^. Our twin scroll setup has very little lag to speak of and is putting out max torque at just 1750rpms.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is the biggest noticeable difference between a NA engine and a FI engine (turbo). NA engines have much more response and power up to the 25-30% throttle most commonly used in normal driving while the FI engines don't really perform till you get passed that 25-30% throttle. This is partially what makes them more fuel efficient than a larger displacement engine but still create the same power or better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last car was a 2010 soul 4u manual. I wonder if the issue is just going from a manual transmission to automatic.
Really it is a small annoyance. Oddly I don't notice it as much if I am using the sport shift option.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah these modern automatics and electronic throttles try to take the fun out of things and introduce delays in the name of emisions/fuel economy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My throttle is very weird too. It takes a lot of getting used to.
If you want more immediate throttle response especially down low look into a new crank pulley. It might be what you're looking for. Nonstop tuning in the only vendor that I currently know of.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
get a manual

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted a manual but Kia no longer sells a manual in anything but the base model.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's only true in the Koup where you can't get the premium-tech pkg with manual with the 2016 and you have a 5 right? You can get a 5 fully optioned out in a manual. Which is an awesome and rare thing to find these days.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are threads that discuss the accelerator pedal being very odd in its actuation. Some Forte's and Veloster owners have even gone so far as loosening the screws and moving them around to get better response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm I checked on Kia Canada website and they only offer manual in the base model. As soon as you choose the trim option it switches to automatic.

Thanks for the responses. It is an awesome community. The itch to mod is high.

Anyone know what Canada/Ontario laws are for modding?

Other then picking up another ECU to get a tune done (tork) are there any aftermarket programmable ECU available. I have been watching mighty car mods YouTube channel and they use haltech ECU in a lot of their projects.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ah, yeah I see on the Canadian site they have a "Luxury" package that requires an automatic even on the 5. But the SX without that is still very well equipped.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
A tune is going to help with the throttle lag, as what you are experiencing throttle lag not turbo lag, the size of these turbos virtually makes it so that there is zero turbo lag, the throttle, on the other hand, in the stock tune is meant to take an increased amount of input before responding. This is done for gas mileage and for people who dont have a steady foot. People who are constantly moving their foot on the pedal accelerating and decelerating constantly kills the gas mileage. They make sure that it takes a certain amount so that the gas mileage is not affected by those drivers. You can find our tune on our website Welcome | DamnFastDD.com in the forte section under electronics. It will make the single biggest difference in the car!
Tyson

Reactions: bryanwolfe5

·
Registered
481 Posts
Could it be the adaptive learning thing? If so, pedal to the metal for the next week or so, it should be quicker.
BTW, bone stock autos are faster in the 1/4... Just sayin

·
Registered
458 Posts
With everything I've done to my forte I need a tune real bad! And a downpipe/gutted 2nd cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts