Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after having a few turbo cars one of the most benificial upgrades for stock to upgrade is less restrictive inlets . Most have already have seen the gains by upgrading to a 3.5 SRI . Shit I feel the difference just removing the air scoop lol . Well the one big restrictive part is right at the mouth of the turbo . It's like the difference between sucking water through a coffee straw as opposed to a slushy straw . I'm kind of surprised none of the tuners have addressed this for the gamma motors . That's 10+ hp on most cars at the WHP .

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I think 845 motorsports has already made one of these. Not sure how much of a gain it was but the price is not bad for $200. I have been thinking of this since I got the car lol. If we can do a full 3" to the turbo it would help big time. 3.5" would be to much since there isn't a lot of room

·
Registered
253 Posts
A few things here to consider, big two are is it an actual restriction and does it actually make power. We did a back to back dyno on a semi-local customers VT, he had the basic mods minus a fmic and saw about 2-3 hp right near redline. that was it. The issue with making an upgraded lower inlet is a very tight bend going into the turbo. Enlarging the pipe size and still making an efficient radius into the inlet of the turbo will be difficult. Maybe if you had every other bolt on and a tune that was pushing the turbo much harder then even our stage 1.5 tune it might pick up a bit more power.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I smell a passenger side intake.......

Reactions: Caezar

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I don't see any benifit of a passenger side intake. From what I see is it would have to be a 3" intake. Even then would have to build a new inlet tube and from what James is saying it's really not worth it for 1-2hp. I would rather put the money into a super stock turbo and then the way the intake is now won't make a difference since it will be pulling so much more air in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not only the hp gain . It's increase in response and less lag . Anything you do to free up the efficiency of a turbo spooling is always a good thing . Neuspeed had a inlet pipe and then upgraded that to a full hose to an adapter . This created a strait 70 mm to the mouth of the turbo . We have seen the gains of the 3.5 intake . I would like to see if one was ran all the way to the mouth . And for a stuffed turbo I see this making a lot more hp over a stock . Look at this slug lol . Something like this in the future would be pretty cool . 48.02.45.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
If you contact 845 motorsports he had one for sale for $200. I talked to him a year ago and said he was doing a revision. He hasn't posted it or even put it on his website so I am not sure if he scrapped the idea. I will shoot him a email and see if there is any progress on it.

Edit: I just emailed him to see where this is at. I will post his response when I get it. He usually replies quickly

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Yup thats the one! I am waiting for a response of whats going on with it

·
Registered
535 Posts
So I'm wondering... Wouldn't the increased inlet size lower the velocity of the air going into the turbo? If so, too big and you will have more lag and less response consequently.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I think what the 845 mainly does is go from 3" down to 2.5 like the stock does and just makes it a much smoother transition then the stock inlet pipe. So it should help spool faster and get the air in better.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
So I'm wondering... Wouldn't the increased inlet size lower the velocity of the air going into the turbo? If so, too big and you will have more lag and less response consequently.
That's not quite how it works :)

I made this long post over on the VT forums regarding intakes and turbocharger efficiency at the inlet.
Long story short, no intake on the turbo is the best intake because when you add any type of intake system, you create pressure drop of air at the turbo which hinders performance.

The bigger the pipe the better.

Laminar flow discussion

Read that if you have a couple minutes to spare.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup ! I've been around for a long time lol . At the track they take the intake off completely . Some will run a cone filter made of mesh to prevent a rock flying in there or passing animal lol

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
So I got a email from 845. They do plan on producing them soon for the 1.6 motor but no ETA on them. I am going to ask if he would do a group buy or something for them to

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are going to love the sound it makes ! You think you hear that whooosshhh sound now ! It's going to be mad!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Well I already have a intake and the BOV so that gives me my sound I want but if this adds to it then great! Once I get one I am going to dyno before and after to show the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts