Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket brand fluid that is compatible with the forte turbos or do I need to get the dealer fluids.

Also, anyone know how much fluid I need to do the drain and fill?

I have a 2015 with 40k.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The product ATF should have a weight like oil, in the owners manual, and if your' just a little low, Jiffy lube or similar will look up the spec and top you off for free. Look up the procedure on youtube or google and make sure you can do DIY. 40K seems a little early, unless you have a heavy duty schedule or the fluid is discolored.
Post photos if you DIY. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
MT or AT? With the MT I think on this model there is a full hole and a drain hole. Make sure you open the file hole first. Not sure on the fluid to use though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
MT or AT? With the MT I think on this model there is a full hole and a drain hole. Make sure you open the file hole first. Not sure on the fluid to use though.
Scoobdude you're right MTX is generally simpler than ATrans. MTX is like a motor oil change without the filter. AutoZone indicates you can use most any OTC p;roduct for ATF. With GOOGLE specs Kia genuine transaxle fluid, API GL-4 70W or equivalent
MTX specs (again google) For Manual Transmission: M6CF3-1 (6-SPD) GL-4 All TEMPS 75W-85,70W

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the automatic.

Can anyone confirm if the auto transmission on our turbos are the same as the non turbo fortes and elantras?

·
Registered
238 Posts
According to the owners manual the ATF is SP-IV. The non turbo auto Fortes are geared differently then the Forte turbo autos, not sure if it's the exact same trans though. Valvoline Maxlife red bottle full synthetic is SP-IV compatible.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
For the warranty sake I would stick with OEM.

Better yet, you may ask them how much they would take for flush vs you buying ATF from them.
I was quoted 150 for flush or about 10 per quart. If they use it for flush, they charge "themselves" about 3 a quart. Go figure.

Or do drain/refill.
Get maybe 5 quarts. Drain whatever you can and refill the same amount. Repeat one more time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Completed the transmission fluid change on Saturday. Used Valvoline synthetic about 4.5 quarts total. I have 38k on the fluid.

Put the car on 4 jack stands and leveled it. Cheap magnetized level under the rocker panel.

Removed the stock air box (3 10 mm bolts)to access the plastic fill bolt (22 mm).

Removed the front splash shield. Drained old fluid, cleaned the plug (24 mm) and reinstalled ( 30 ft#)

Removed the level indicator plug ( 3/4” ratchet) and filled the new fluid until fluid trickled out of level hole.

Reinstalled level indicator plug and added another 4 ounces.
Started the car and brought up to operating temps. Trans plug registered 130f on the infrared thermometer.

Removed level plug to ensure thermal expansion brought to proper level.
Reinstalled plug and air box.

Not sure if it was just psychological but the car seems a lot smoother.

I’m keeping this car for a long time. There is no way that transmission fluid stays in there for life. Going to do another drain and fill in the October when I turn the clocks back. That should set me for another 40 k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice job. I don't think anyone ever mentioned the (fill plug) under the OEM air box.
Thank you for the info / pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My F5 only has 17k so not ready for ATF change. But I will share what I learned from my Sorento with 127k.

The Sorento transaxle does not require service unless leaking according to the manual, but after about 100k the shifting was getting more whiny at higher rpms so I decided to see if the ATF could be changed. Turned out to be easy to do and similar to the Forte process seen in this thread. Used about 3.5 quarts Valvoline max life full synthetic ATF.

The new fluid eliminated the whining and makes for slightly smoother yet firm shifts. Like new again. Note that the drain plug has an aluminum crush washer that is larger diameter than what is used on the motor oil drain plug. So be sure to replace the washer with a new one.

The ATF drain process leaves about 2 qts of old fluid in the Sorento transaxle so I am going to do a second drain and fill soon, so that about 90% of the fluid will be new.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I did the drain / fill on the trans today. 28K miles fluid looked not to bad but I think it was a little low base on what came out and what I put back in. I measured everything in and out.
Did engine oil and filter. A little pass do but the weather has been cold for me. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sorry about the pics. I thought I resized them I guess I was wrong. :confused:

Reactions: SXTurbo

·
Registered
402 Posts
What trans oil did you use? Notice any difference?
I used Valvoline Max Life (Full Synthetic) Red Bottle 1gallon. About $18 at Wally World.
I bought an extra qt. but I didn't need or use it. I haven't driven it a lot yet so I don't know. I will today
an see if I notice any real difference.

Reactions: PLP and SXTurbo

·
Registered
402 Posts
I used Valvoline Max Life (Full Synthetic) Red Bottle 1gallon. About $18 at Wally World.
I bought an extra qt. but I didn't need or use it. I haven't driven it a lot yet so I don't know. I will today
an see if I notice any real difference.
OK so after driving around most of the day (3-19-19) the up-shift was much smoother and a little-bit firmer.
But the "big" difference (40% to 50%) was the down-shift was very smooth and nice. Before it was not great and it lagged/hanged-up a-bit. NO more.
For $20 I "will" do this again in a few months, just as easy to do just like changing oil and filter just add another one and a half hours (I take my time) or so on to the days car maintenance.

Reactions: SXTurbo and PLP
1 - 20 of 55 Posts