Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seem much for headlight work with our cars and I'm really not digging the whole chrome look so I decided to take the leap and see what would happen and I ended up with this 20160529_112127.jpg 20160529_112706.jpg
2016-05-29 11.59.20.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Write up is coming as soon as I can get a moment :) thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did you do something different with the side reflector? It looks elongated some how with the shroud. I thought about buying spares so I can take my time with painting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope I didn't do anything but use paint and decals haha

Reactions: 2014Forte5

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you take some pictures of those headlights on the car? I'd like to see how they look ..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure thing ! I just need to finish the other one haha

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes AugmentedF5 I did and I gotta say it looks a whole lot better :) not sure as to why they would cover up the LED's like they did, On my girlfriends 2016 kia rio you can see the LED lights clearly (and they look 100% better in my opinion) haha. Thanks alot GotBoost?, I'm going to be installing the Y pipe and taking out the muffler to see how well the air flows then. I already have a few upgrades, CAI, gutted second cat, hot pipe upgrade, I am going to try and save for the tune or a FMIC next.

Reactions: GotBoost?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I haven't seem much for headlight work with our cars and I'm really not digging the whole chrome look so I decided to take the leap and see what would happen and I ended up with this
They look pretty nice.
I presume it was not full retro, projector stays same.

A few questions.

First - did you manage to remove them without removing bumper cover?
Second - how is the projector attached? I have been thinking of doing retro with bi-xenon...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No bumper removed and the projector is just held in either three screws, I'm not an expert on lights I'm more on the machanical side of things so I'm not sure what you mean by bi-xenon lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bi-xenon is dual projector that are both HID or Xenon instead of halogen bulb. The high beams on our car is reflector but if you look at more expensive cars, they usually have bi-xenon / HID for high and low beams. All you do its buy aftermarket projectors and replace them in place of the projectors. I think there's cutting involved as in cutting a bigger hole for the projectors.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Bi-xenon is a projector that instead of halogen light bulb involves HID lamp (high intensity discharge lamp - it is technically not a light bulb... due to discharge vs glowing filament).

Anyway, in projectors you have this very distinct light/shadow line, right? This is called cut-off. It is cased by a shade that is built into a projector. Some have better shields, some worse.
Now, imagine that the shield can move up/down. By doing so you can change the amount of light and its distribution on the road.
This is the way the bi-xenon projector works. Low beam is when the shield is in "resting" position, high beam when solenoid pulls the shield up. Very quick change from low to high beam.

Some systems had projectors to move slightly (up/down) with the shield in place or others move the position of the HID lamp.

I did retro in Elantra headlight with Morimoto FX-R projector. Man, high beam is daylight... Also, the cut-off is much sharper and by slightly polishing the edge of the shade you can change the colour of cut off.
It took me about 3 months to finish the project.

And the video, while is shows retro, it is easy one. The full retro is more drilling, cutting, gluing, and so on.

No bumper removed and the projector is just held in either three screws, I'm not an expert on lights I'm more on the machanical side of things so I'm not sure what you mean by bi-xenon lol
Bumper stayed on? How did you accomplish it?
I would love to remove one of the headlights to inspect it for possible retro.

Reactions: straightspoolin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes AugmentedF5 I did and I gotta say it looks a whole lot better :) not sure as to why they would cover up the LED's like they did, On my girlfriends 2016 kia rio you can see the LED lights clearly (and they look 100% better in my opinion) haha. Thanks alot GotBoost?, I'm going to be installing the Y pipe and taking out the muffler to see how well the air flows then. I already have a few upgrades, CAI, gutted second cat, hot pipe upgrade, I am going to try and save for the tune or a FMIC next.
I noticed them gone, and immeditly thought YESSSS you are a smart man. I can't stand the plastic light diffuser. Id rather see the leds directly like you. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend. Its supposed to be 100 here in Portland. Did you bake them or heat gun them open? I usually bake mine but these kind look to big for my oven. I've been waiting to black out my headlights completely on the inside. Not with lens tint. GOod job on yours. I need to do mine, while the seal is still new and fresh and easy to peal apart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts