Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would like it.

Sure, I do. Many times I do. But even more times I feel like automatic would be better option.

Hence a question - has anyone test drive both? I mean, longer drive than 5 minutes around a block. Is the automatic soft in gently use, but spirited under pressure?
The problem is there is not even a one SX around my area. The closest is 200 miles away.

The best option would be to rent one, but how to find one?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not going to find an SX rental unless a dealer is willing to do an extended test drive type deal. Rentals are all LX/EX sedans.

I tried going automatic with one of the best examples out there, the DSG in a GTI. But I sold it a couple years later just to get back in a stick shift. It's just not as fun.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
#sticklife
#everydayislegday

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have days where I'm like damn I wish I had an auto, but then I want to hold a gear and dive into a corner and remember why I drive a clutch.

Sorry I'm no help but I have contemplated the same thing. I drive the turbo optimas kind of frequently and they are rather responsive. sport mode and select shift sure do help. I just like grabbing gears and pushin that redline. now the new dct in the 17s that is very very different.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
633 Posts
Same story with me.

NIce to get behind the wheel of my girlfriend's auto civic once in a while but I'm still glad I have the 6sp. Traffic (which is 50% of my commute) is never fun, but the backroads with nice corners certainly are when I can pick a gear going into a bend, and rocket out in that same gear.

As for your original question, of the 2 dealers that had ANY SX's, 2 out of the 3 were autos. And all the Forte rentals I see are the Sedan LX's.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) Screw you guys. You are no help. :)

nouse4aname
honhon
CrazyFritter
staax

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Our '07 Rondo had this kind of "lazy" transmission where shifts were smooth, slow, and nothing was really happening.
However, FIAT is different. It is quicker, feels much more solid (in gear - not so much float from torque converter), and I find myself liking this auto. It is 9 speed though...
Hence I wonder how would SX in automatic feel like.

Anyway, the worst are mornings. On cold when I leave to work, pulling up from lights - 1st gear - gently, not too much gas, shift to 2nd - not too hard shift, so it is smooth. Car behind me almost hits me. Almost everytime.
Plus acceleration on cold - well, the best band is somewhere between 1800 and 3500. With any shift it feels like no power at all. Turbo barely spins.

With auto it would go much smoother.

Yes, turns, keeping the gear, or even dumping a clutch to peel off, or drop 2nd and keep the burning rubber. I love it.
But most of the days are like the above...

Reactions: staax

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got an SX auto - only option for the Luxury / Premium pack (why?). I find it a little slow to pickup sometimes in full auto mode, maybe that's just me though. When in full auto, ie; just leave it in D, then you can still use the paddles to change up and down, however, after a certain period of time - cannot remember what it is - it'll switch back to auto. example; I enter an on ramp and paddle down from 5th (not that I know it was 4th, as the display just shows "D", it only shows the gear when you switch up or down in auto mode) to 4th, keep the revs up, speed up, get on highway and I can either leave it, and it'll go up a gear itself - returning to auto mode - or paddle up into 5th myself and then let it take over

There is also the option of pushing the gear lever over into sport mode, or whatever it's called, basically *you* have more control over the shifts. I *think* that it doesn't upshift or downshift for you; bar when you're stopping and it will automatically drop you down - not sure if it'll do that from higher gears, say 6th, or wether it'll only do it when you manually drop down, but I do know if I'm in 3rd and actually stop, it will drop me to 1st.
This mode seems a little less slushy / slow than normal auto, but I think that is really just a perception thing, it's not speeding things up - unlike some cars where the race mode speeds up shifts on DSG like boxes.

I think part, if not all, of the slush factor here is that it's CVT and not a true DSG. Sure it's way better than CVT's of old.

Having said this, on the highway, at around 80 - 100 kph, if I give it some revs then she's quite happy to pull away rather quickly in full on auto mode. I remember the first time I actually gave the car a bit of welly, was surprised as it was quicker than I thought. Shame on me, distrusting little ol blue!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know what options you guys have with the Forte's as far as tranny's.
I am glad I opted for the 6 spd auto when I bought. I'm also glad I don't have a DCT. The new DCT's can NOT take big hp or torque increases.

I get the best of all worlds with my 6 spd Sonata slush box. It took all the horsepower, and gave me the options to do whatever I feel like.
1. Just auto for cruise
2. Spotmode for a little more aggression.
3. The tipronic manual. To hold in any gear to redline shift. Real crisp, definative.

Plus, TORKme has changed my shift points higher. Talk about thundering out of a corner.
The breakaway point on these transaxles according to Jon is 325 whp.

Sad for VT's now this trans is no longer available.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Aren't the new Forte's coming out with a DSG? I know the Velosters are/already have em but I thought the new Fortes were too.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Aren't the new Forte's coming out with a DSG? I know the Velosters are/already have em but I thought the new Fortes were too.
The 17s go to the 7 speed DCT yes. I'd be nervous getting one of those though.
Yes, would be great to drive it and see how it transfers power. Test drove DCT in Tuscon and it was slow... No pickup from dead stop.

2015 but it's still pretty quick.

I wonder if the new DCT is any better/faster.
Exactly. And look on the shifts. There is no way I can upshift so quickly...

One question for auto owners with boost gauge.

Does the boost drop when it shifts?

EDIT.
And one more thing.
I was just wondering.
Will 2017 Forte5 share same DCT with Veloster? It seems folks did not complain so much about Veloster...
One thing I just found about 2017 - no heated rear seats.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have the base SX and have the AT. I like it a lot. I am sure that it could be better, but it's a better option for me as my wife cannot drive manual. I have gotten in the habit of paddling down to pass, or give the Red Rocket the whip and it responds quite well. This morning for example there was a Maserati trying to shake me off and I was able to paddle shift down and we got up to 115 pretty quickly. :D

An earlier post asked about Sport Mode and when does it shift. It shifts at redline. If you want everything she has, I turn traction control off and mode the stick to Sport Mode. 0-60 in the low 7's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
New forte is also coming out with a stronger transmission for the manual . I am kind of not liking that they went with the DCT because reports of it failing on the 2016 VT's are already pouring in . The tuscon comes with a standard trans like the sportage and man those are a blast to drive like my current sportage and forte . If you practice with the auto shift the auto can be a lot of fun. it gets tricky because you have to understand how to shift it . look at auto shift how to drive video's in retrospect its all the same shit . Just some transmissions more responsive and quicker than others . I cna get mine to rev match and up rev on braking . the only think that can suck is you loose reach of the paddle whilst turning so recommended to get paddle extenders . Ebay sells now and I remember SXTH saying they were developing a set

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
uhmmmm I am almost sure Tuscon is DCT while SantaFe is TC.

So you are saying I should not wait for the new one to come out as its DCT will be having issues just like Veloster?
Tuscon has a huge issue. Dozens of drivers are stuck in traffic (no pickup from dead stop) or no shifts.

Again, do you loose boost when shifting in automatic?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't lose much if any boost while climbing up the gears. I do think I need to perform the waste gate adjustment but that is unrelated to this topic. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
uhmmmm I am almost sure Tuscon is DCT while SantaFe is TC.

So you are saying I should not wait for the new one to come out as its DCT will be having issues just like Veloster?
Tuscon has a huge issue. Dozens of drivers are stuck in traffic (no pickup from dead stop) or no shifts.

Again, do you loose boost when shifting in automatic?
Yeah you are correct the tuscan is a dct . they are complaining like crazy about it . well I would avoid the new forte sx with dct . But my car the turbo comes on like a beast . It may have a lot to do with the intercooler and piping . Drastically reducing the lag . But our little turbo is know for no lag from Borge Warner cause of the twin scroll design . My buddy has the SS turbo upgrade from 845 no tune on it and it has slight lag but adds 20hp on a stock tune @14 psi . goes clear around 280-300+ tuned . If I recall turbo's have always seemed to work better in automatics . They give time for the turbo to spool due to the longer gearing .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is your answer

Here is a video of the TORKme SS tune V1.(ECM is at TORK for version 2).

What you will see:

Watch the gentle squeeze in 2nd. Boost is very throttle sensitive. As the squeeze becomes more aggressive BAM !!! Big boost. What the video can NOT show is the absoloute LURCH the car does.

This is a 6 speed AT NOT a DCT.

You will see the ECM and TCU talking with one another, just prior to shift she will bleed a little boost then BAM.

This is a stock trans stock rods stock pistons.

I had to pull back at about 145 ish,...traffic.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, very interesting boost map especially going from 2nd at WOT to 3rd. I would even say weird...
Is the gauge correct?

That is Veloster T, right?
And I think it is DCT as VT comes only as 6 MT or 7 DCT.

Regardless, boost does not drop.
That's what I wanted to know.

I scheduled a test drive of F5 with AT. I will get the feel if I really might like it and I will go from there.

Yet still, any input is welcome.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No,...mines a 2013 AT slush box 6spd.( from a Sonata). DCTs cant handle a SSTurbo. The boost onset is awesome !

Yup gauge is right on. The delayed onset is from my initial squeeze on rather than stomp. If you look closelt the TCU makes it bleed down to 19-20 psi, changes gear then BAM back up.

The Hyun/Equus guys that did all my work hate the DCT's in the VT and Tuscons,...nothing but trouble.

VTs went to DCT in 2016.

If your F5 has an old type AT, get it. They can handle up to 325 whp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts