Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a video talking about LSPI . The guy spoke of what they think is actually happening inside the motor and to follow up oil companies in 2016 are coming out with new oils rated at a 6 higher than the current 5 rating . Amsoil has already made a few oils to combat LSPI . They have a 3000 mile 10000 mile and a 15000 mile synthetic. Has anyone been using these ? I am coming up on the first oil change and local garages carry this oil . I know Motul is another really good choice but since the closing of the shop that provided it I would have to order it . Since my warranty requires I keep track of oil changes they have to be done at a shop for prof of being done showing receipts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
981 Posts
As a Amsoil dealer I should say use nothing but Amsoil but I haven't even stayed with it. First I used RP which was fine and the engine seemed to like it then tried the T6 still not bad but wasn't rated for it but had no problems. Just to be safer I went to Penzoil Ultra just because I couldn't beat the deal I got at $2 a qt but now I am going to Amsoil and will probably stay for good. Little more expensive than a few of the other brands and changing every 3000 miles comes quick but still worth it I would say. Going with the signature series was my choice and as a dealer isn't really that bad. Find out if there is a distribution warehouse near you and become a prefered customer so you can buy that $10.50 qt of oil for $7.45+tax of course.

Reactions: Caezar

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'd really like to use Amsoil but at $15 a quart and 6000 km intervals, I can't justify that.

If I ever found it for cheaper, I'd also run the signature series.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would not change every 6000 km you would change at 12000 km to 15000. Km
That's 5000 to 10000 miles for US . I would run it 5k miles to stay in warranty .

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I change mine every 3k just because I am tuned and I drive crazy at times lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next oil change look at the oil . If it's still looking good no need to change . If it's dark then yeah change lol. When I ran mobile one on the golf it lasted past 5k but I changed 5k all the time and it was a really aggressive tune on 93 @ 26psi

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am in the "severe weather" area so changing mine every 6000 kms is required to keep my warranty.

Also the look of oil alone doesn't constitute if its still suitable for extended use. Especially since were running turbos where the oil will get extremely hot and begin to break down (this is where a good quality synthetic helps) but also fuel dilution is something to worry about.

At only 1700 kms my oil reeks of fuel.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes some sense . But who told you we have to change at 6000 km? The dealer or Kia North America . My manual tells me 5000 mile changes .
I live where it gets extremely hot then extresmley cold lol . Like the best place to test if a car will last . We go from -20° in winter to over 100°f
in summer. Today's oils are a lot better than oils of the past . But I'm not going to tell anyone not to do what makes them feel safe :) you can however buy oil testing kits . That's how I proved I could safely run the oil in the golf past 3k no problem . I'll do one this time around after the oil change and post my hard results in a few months

·
Registered
633 Posts
Blackstone is a good option to test the oil - I agree.

But I wouldn't dare run a 10k MILE interval on any turbo engine, but I won't argue if you do. Kia wouldn't like it regardless of the condition of the oil.

Pretty sure my manual calls for 6k changes for the 1.6 - I can double check.

Temps in Ottawa can range from -30 to +30, add the fact that I'm in bumper to bumper traffic everyday and its not good for the oil!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I fall in the Severe Duty category (going by the list in the owners manual) and it says every 3k miles and use 5w-40 over a certain temp.

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
That's what I fall under also. I just stay safe and do it at 3k anyways because I do get on it a lot more then normal

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just at the Amsoil dealer . He asked if I was putting it in a race car ! I was like no a Kia . He then could not believe that the car asked for A5 specific and went on to say full race cars run this stuff lol . They also could not believe that if Kia recommends A5 specific oils then why don't the dealers provide it ? I told him they know . He said do the void their own warranty ? I said to him well Kia and Hyundai replace the dealer serviced motors with out hesitation still knowing the dealer put shit oil in it . He was shocked . He then ordered my oil and said my car was the only car that's been to his shop that's not a race car that needed this stuff .

In 2016 the oil companies are going to release a A6 oil specifically made for gdi turbo :) can't wait for that stuff

Reactions: staax
1 - 14 of 14 Posts