Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I don't personally believe the Veloster N is that much better stock for stock than the Forte5 SX but I am smitten with the factory customizations and the pops/bangs. It also has the "newness" appeal which if we're being honest with ourselves is a nice feeling. New shiny things, who doesn't like that?

Anyway... I would say I'm 50/50 on it right now. The ultimate decision rests on how much Hyundai wants to charge for it. Seeing as the top trim Turbo model going for $30K local currency, I would guestimate the N will be somewhere around $35-36,000. I'm hoping they can price it just $2-3,000 more than the Turbo but that's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well, I see your point.
Going into 2.0T is a nice thing.
But for me it cannot be justified having 2+2 family. I was rather thinking of Golf - either GTI or R. And most likely used one.
The best I think would be GTI with R engine :)
Used, like one year old or so...

But, hearing from John at Tork, he can tune the auto transmission to give more power (less slip) and some pops. With engine tune this little 1.6T is a quite nice ride. I find it now to feel much better at higher speeds - like before tune it was very powerful till maybe 60 mph, now from 40 mph and till 90 mph it feels very strong. I am worried to go further... although one day I got some older Mustang trying to get away and could not. We gave up at 110 mph. It was on a closed, private road.

So, going N - if it was 5 door, DCT (actually better would be wet clutch... as in DSG or PDK, but still) I would really fall for it.
Although, justifying 35k - well, that is hard.

I will, though, definitely test drive it.

Reactions: Forte5GT

·
Registered
399 Posts
They do look and sound impressive. But for me I'm still happy with my car.
Considering all the factors like MPG, insurance cost, upkeep, plus I don't see that many on the road (I like that part).
I'm going to keep it for now. Maybe I'll have some extra $$$ this year for vacation which would be lots of fun too. :)

Reactions: Forte5GT

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well see here in this video, John at Tork is trying to replicate the same OE pops and bangs which just isn't going to be easy like getting a 4 cylinder to sound like a V8.

https://www.facebook.com/torktuned/videos/1981653531906243/

In other videos of his particularly the Elantra 1.6 the tune makes it sound very "aftermarket" as oppose to what you hear from OEs. I just don't want to sink more money into this car only to get a "riced out" daily. Hopefully his tune will evolve and get it to a more suitable/subtle level but I'll keep my options opened as far as mods orgoing in a different direction.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Those pops are much better than the Elantra the other day I saw.
Something like that is very nice.

But I see your point - sinking money into it... but then I am looking on GTI and thinking - sure, I can add a few grands and trade fro GTI. Larger engine, DSG, pops - all from the factory. Tune is much more refined as those are very popular. No big needs for suspension.
Yet I will miss some things - larger trunk in Forte, memory seats, better navi, and some other things.

So if I can "mimic" stock GTI performance using TORK transmission tunes - heck, why not stay. That would be only $1'000 not $6'000 expense.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pops are much better than the Elantra the other day I saw.
Something like that is very nice.

But I see your point - sinking money into it... but then I am looking on GTI and thinking - sure, I can add a few grands and trade fro GTI. Larger engine, DSG, pops - all from the factory. Tune is much more refined as those are very popular. No big needs for suspension.
Yet I will miss some things - larger trunk in Forte, memory seats, better navi, and some other things.

So if I can "mimic" stock GTI performance using TORK transmission tunes - heck, why not stay. That would be only $1'000 not $6'000 expense.
I haven't seen a GTI since MK5 that I've had to double take. They are so popular that everyone and their grandma has one. GTIs not just Golf/Rabbit variants. They're not ugly cars by any stretch but I just see it so often in my town of 3million people whereas I see our car every day when I get into it but when I see another SX (non-turbos need not apply) it's something special, sort of..

Now with regards to the new Veloster and its redesign, I wasn't so keen on the looks at first but it is growing on me. The driver side profile with only 1 door makes it look very slick and I wasn't sure about the high trunk lip and tailights but I again it's grown on me and makes the car look damn aggressive especially with the dual tone colour. Still we're all budget conscious after all otherwise we wouldn't be driving this segment of car. I know Hyundai isn't going to sell it for a $1 OTD and early estimates are putting it near WRX money. I think that will scare a lot of people away including myself. They priced the Genesis Coupe at the right price bracket, imo. Now they're somewhat established and want to see if the market will accept them as one of the boys. May be it's too fast too soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i30 is the name they use for most of European market. The Accent is also the i20 in Europe.

You could import one if you want it really bad enough. :D

Just donned on me that vendors still won't make much parts for the car. We'll see though as time will tell. No Cobb AP for example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts