Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently I deleted the last thread and I have no idea how I did that and I apologize for that to everyone. Thought I stickied it but guess I messed up somewhere and might have happened when my laptop crashed.

So here is the thread again that you can talk about what you would like to so the other threads can stay clean. I will be watching this thread to make sure it stays civil and doesn't get to crazy. I will also move some posts into this thread that are off topic or I will delete them from the thread they are in. I know I have gone off topic several times and I apologize for that.

So post away!

·
Registered
580 Posts
After studying a ton of intercoolers and threads I see a few flaws that may be easily corrected and tested before shipping . One the pressure sensor is in front of the BOV . Move it closer to the throttle body and the BOV should not be between the TB and pressure sensor . Second the intercooler needs a nipple for the boost pressure coming out of the intercooler. I would mount that one the cold pipe , like they did in the gencoup kits or diy's third to get ample flow for the new setup for the solinoid needs to be upgraded to the Mac sensor found on snoopy panda's blog or modified grim speed or Mac valve which is actually what they are all using and can be found on Amazon for 40$ the plug on snoopy panda for 40$ shipped saves 40$ unless you can find the plug cheaper . The valve is in place to prevent over boost and aid in warm up as it opens the BOV slightly upon warm up . A tech from Kia could possibly add if deleting this is a bad thing or not . But on the VT forum running issues of overboost and cells are common down the road after deleting this same went for the optima and gencoup group ergo the upgrading of the valve

·
Registered
981 Posts
After studying a ton of intercoolers and threads I see a few flaws that may be easily corrected and tested before shipping . One the pressure sensor is in front of the BOV . Move it closer to the throttle body and the BOV should not be between the TB and pressure sensor . Second the intercooler needs a nipple for the boost pressure coming out of the intercooler. I would mount that one the cold pipe , like they did in the gencoup kits or diy's third to get ample flow for the new setup for the solinoid needs to be upgraded to the Mac sensor found on snoopy panda's blog or modified grim speed or Mac valve which is actually what they are all using and can be found on Amazon for 40$ the plug on snoopy panda for 40$ shipped saves 40$ unless you can find the plug cheaper . The valve is in place to prevent over boost and aid in warm up as it opens the BOV slightly upon warm up . A tech from Kia could possibly add if deleting this is a bad thing or not . But on the VT forum running issues of overboost and cells are common down the road after deleting this same went for the optima and gencoup group ergo the upgrading of the valve
Might want to have links to where you got all this info from and make sure it's not just hear say on a forum page (start another thread with it) that way some of the members can read facts and reasons not a critiquing of something that has been in development for almost a year and you don't even have in your possession or have tested.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Read the VT entire thread in it . They go on and on back and forth like we are doing now about this. Some say it causes no issues others say it does not . The whole mod was made by turbosox . Now being a vendor I honestly would reconsider telling someone to defeat a part unless it was tested and validated as road worthy . This is a track only mod if best . The info in what it does can be found on snoopy panda YouTube page where he explains the function on a gencoup and sells these valve for all turbo gdi platforms.
Aftermarket BOV? Want Free Boost? Turbosocks Hack! - Page 4

Here is the snoopy panda explanation , he also goes on to explain that it increases the speed of the BOV with his solenoid .

Now if you want to run data logs to disprove that this setup will not harm the car that's great . I personally do not have any benifits in proving it does not because I'm not the one trying to sell an intercooler .

·
Registered
981 Posts
a part unless it was tested and validated as road worthy . This is a track only mod if best . The info in what it does can be found on snoopy panda YouTube page where he explains the function on a gencoup and sells these valve for all turbo gdi platforms.

Here is the snoopy panda explanation , he also goes on to explain that it increases the speed of the BOV with his solenoid .

Now if you want to run data logs to disprove that this setup will not harm the car that's great . I personally do not have any benifits in proving it does not because I'm not the one trying to sell an intercooler

Above was quoted from another thread ^^^

The Turbosocks Hack? Really? My post is still in there somewhere (since I am also a member there for 2 years) but that "Hack" was proven to work fine with aftermarket BOVs and would destroy OEM BPVs (as I was one of the ones that had to replace mine). The other problem most were having is where they got the boost/vac signal from, right behind the throttle plate on a DBW setup is not a good source since the ECU controls how fast it wants to close the plate which give a slower reaction on the BOV causing a CEL. More centered in the plenum works much better and will also have a much cleaner/smoother boost reading also (with the v2 vacuum block or tapping your own port).

Not going to argue about the Snoopy Panda or that using a better higher flow valve would work because it may work fine. The video to me is not proof that it does work just because he revs his engine then switches the valves and repeats and says it does. Put some gauges on there before and after each valve to show the difference in supply and demand and then you have a little more information. Not to fear a valve has been ordered and will be installed on my FMIC and I will gather some actual readings and note this difference between using intake source and solenoid. Personally I have over a year running a FMIC and have had CELs from using the solenoid and from the throttle body source but not once from the intake port I added. If someone doesn't know how to or understand adjusting the BOV it won't matter what source or solenoid they have going to it there will be problems.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey what ev , you see it as negative I se it as asking a question as to why , but you seem to be the leader in knowing things yet you have already given up on the motor ,. So in retrospect of the forum you my friend are the most negative influence on the forum . I like the intercooler , it looks great and it flows well for a street setup , I just feel if it's a street setup it should be a direct bolt on and not cause issues . But I'm done . Either I'll get the answer I'm looking for out of 6th or it's just a dead hooker in the river no one cares . Too many tuners I see that work this manufacture's cars cut a lot of corners , no explanation . The. They bash Tork BTR and others to say that a hack is the way to go , a shit load of people say they are having major problems but a few say they are having none , which tells me two things . One the people that are not having issues are full of shit or two this hack should NOT be shown because novice people are performing it on their cars and destroying them . The only reason they attempt it is because people lik you deem it safe !!! But are you going to pay for their motors ?!?!? No ! So I personally will never tell someone to do something to their cars unless a tuner that is well known and takes full responsibility or adds disclaimers to their mod to your discretion . In which case I'm not going to do that mod to my daily driver . But ok I'll stfu sit back and watch .

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I would never bypass a failsafe for the car. Hooking it up to the vac block has been proven to blow motors if it peaks to high. Some have decent luck and others don't. I would just buy the upgraded solenoid from snoopy panda and save the motor and keep the safety features still connected. I have a aftermarket BOV and runs perfectly fine off the solenoid and several people on the VT forums run the Synapse BOV off the solenoid with no problem to. So not sure where you read you need to run any aftermarket off a vac block or a vac line. I won't ever run a vac block after seeing my temps raise so high even while cruising. If there is a better one out of plastic or something then yes I would run it.

When my car has hit a few limiters I instantly hear the BOV go off but yet I can keep the car floored and hear nothing but the release from the turbo. It may or may not be needed for the solenoid to be there but I think Kia put it there for a reason.
Can you cite your source in reference to a vacuum block activated BOV blowing a motor? I have read many of threads on this forum and VT.org and haven't seen that yet.

Many valves are different and they need different vacuum strength to operate properly. The Turbomsart valve included in the kit just doesn't get enough vacuum pull from the OEM solenoid setup.

I am in the middle of making stock flanges for this FMIC if you want to keep your solenoid function with a Synapse valve or TurboXS/Forge Valve. It is just going to be a couple weeks.

Also, our new Vacuum Block is being released first week of January. There are no side effects :)

Your last sentence says you can keep the car floored and the valve will blow off? Do you have any datalogs of this? I haven't encountered this situation one time in the many datalog runs and races I've done with the FMIC setup. Maybe I don't have enough mods yet :)

What future fixes? Don't let what some are saying deture you from buying this kit. 6th has put a lot of time and logging to make sure it's safe for us.

6th if you want me to delete posts on here just give me the go ahead and I will
No need to delete. Concerns are valid and will be addressed :)

Oh OK that's right. I think he was meaning for us to be able to keep the bov hooked to the solenoid. He was having a problem with the bov hooked to the solenoid throwing a code but not since he ran it off his vac block. From what I understand and have read if the bov doesn't respond fast enough when hooked to the solenoid it will throw a cel.

As of right now the way his kit is hooked up its not and it's running fine
Correct. I have about 3 months of run time on the kit. Many, many datalogs sessions and many, many races with friends. Eye on the boost gauge all the time and it never peaked over 16, and 16 only touched for a split second when the weather got a little colder. Boost was still controlled by Wastegate/ECU and tapered off down to 10-11 psi by redline.

After studying a ton of intercoolers and threads I see a few flaws that may be easily corrected and tested before shipping . One the pressure sensor is in front of the BOV . Move it closer to the throttle body and the BOV should not be between the TB and pressure sensor .
This doesn't really matter. That sensor is just there to read pressure. Location is not a concern.

Second the intercooler needs a nipple for the boost pressure coming out of the intercooler. I would mount that one the cold pipe , like they did in the gencoup kits or diy's third to get ample flow for the new setup for the solinoid needs to be upgraded to the Mac sensor found on snoopy panda's blog or modified grim speed or Mac valve which is actually what they are all using and can be found on Amazon for 40$ the plug on snoopy panda for 40$ shipped saves 40$ unless you can find the plug cheaper . The valve is in place to prevent over boost and aid in warm up as it opens the BOV slightly upon warm up . A tech from Kia could possibly add if deleting this is a bad thing or not . But on the VT forum running issues of overboost and cells are common down the road after deleting this same went for the optima and gencoup group ergo the upgrading of the valve
For kits that get the stock valve, there will be a provision for this air source built into the kit.

Read the VT entire thread in it . They go on and on back and forth like we are doing now about this. Some say it causes no issues others say it does not . The whole mod was made by turbosox . Now being a vendor I honestly would reconsider telling someone to defeat a part unless it was tested and validated as road worthy . This is a track only mod if best . The info in what it does can be found on snoopy panda YouTube page where he explains the function on a gencoup and sells these valve for all turbo gdi platforms.

Now if you want to run data logs to disprove that this setup will not harm the car that's great . I personally do not have any benifits in proving it does not because I'm not the one trying to sell an intercooler .
Being the VT and FT are similar, I can see how we can assume the same thing is going on with the cars regarding this issue. Problem is for us, nothing as described in the "Boost Hack" has held true during our testing of not using the solenoid.

- There was no boost increase before/after solenoid deletion
- Boost behavior didn't change, the boost curves on datalogs are very similar before after (which confirms wastegate/ECU is in control here)
- Depending on the gear/RPM, boost would spike and sowly taper down to 10-11 psi by redline (this was stock intercooler/BOV/solenoid vs FMIC/new valve)

I just re-read that entire thread on that forum and there is not one specific mention of proof of the solenoid being a failsafe for overboosting. This is why I'm going directly to the source for confirmation. Post #232 in that thread is where the thread takes a 180 degree turn and all of a sudden it's bad.

The VT may be like that, and the only way to really know is to hear from a Hyundai/KIA engineer in charge of ECU progrmming, or if I see the ECU tables for that solenoid myself with the tuning software!

We will be picking up the tuning software here very soon to start tuning, and we should be able to see that function if it exists. So one way or another we will know very soon.
I will be installing the kit back on my car with the valve/vacuum block combo to run as I have before.

If I was seeing boost spikes or increases with our setup, I wouldn't be releasing the kit like that because that's not safe. The power increase from our FMIC should come from heat exchange efficiency and cooling ability, not an increase in boost!

Our debate is really moot anyway, because I will have kits ready for stock valves and stock flange valves pretty soon. Either way, you as a customer will be covered no matter what.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thank you 6th . Sorry for all of the questions and inquiries . This has answered all of what I needed to hear . Kudos and look forward to the purchase !

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have talked to the guys on the VT forum that have blown a head gasket or motor and a lot of them have the hack done. I have read the threads that people have posted about the hack not being a good idea to do because your taking away a safety feature. I may be just paranoid about it though. I'm not saying the way you have it setup is going to kill the motor I am just saying what I have read and talked to guys that have done it have told me. It may be perfectly fine to do and Kia just put it there as another b.s solenoid that can go wrong so we have to spend money on it lol. If it's been running fine for you then that's great and trust your opinion on it since you have been testing for so long.

No I haven't taken logs of when I hit a limiter that opens the bov and I can still be floored. I had it happen a few times while racing some buddies where I can be floored and hit the cut and my bov goes off and my foot is to the floor and I can hear the bov releasing the pressure. From what me and John at tork found out there is a limiter in the A/T ECU causing this. He has dug deeper into my tune and found a few more limiters on the A/T ECU than the M/T has so I am sending my ECU to him next Monday to be corrected.

I am glad you have a new vac block coming out. I will definitely get it for sure so I can hook my boost gauge to it and replace the hose I tapped into

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was considering something like this at one time . Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh geez now that I am on my desktop I can see it's a vac block geez. I need a bigger phone

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well we all know Kia dropped the bomb on the optima lowering the hp then adding a 173 hp version of our 1.6 in a cheaper model . But this what I just found is just a dam shame . Kia in Germany released a 1.6 NA making 135 hp on the standard ceed but to add a big knife in the balls they created a 1.0 tgdi that makes 118hp then smacked the gt badge wheels and body kit on it !! Ooooo the agony !!!! Please God do not bring that motor here !!!
2016 Kia Cee'd GT Line brings new 1.0-liter engine to Geneva

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well we all know Kia dropped the bomb on the optima lowering the hp then adding a 173 hp version of our 1.6 in a cheaper model . But this what I just found is just a dam shame . Kia in Germany released a 1.6 NA making 135 hp on the standard ceed but to add a big knife in the balls they created a 1.0 tgdi that makes 118hp then smacked the gt badge wheels and body kit on it !! Ooooo the agony !!!! Please God do not bring that motor here !!!
2016 Kia Cee'd GT Line brings new 1.0-liter engine to Geneva
Had me scared for a second, thought they were killing the Koup with that massive beast of a engine. Hey but at least now the Suzuki's and Geo's have competition.

Reactions: bryanwolfe5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dang I need to read more. Didn't know they dumbed down our 1.6 and threw it in the optima lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
I watched a video from 2013 when they first announced the 1.6 tgdi 205hp going into the proceed GT . They said that Kia was working on putting these motors into larger vehicles eventually . Well seeing it in the optima and the Santa Fe we have is running a 2.4 in a huge SUV platform and it moves lol . But 1.0t if it made 180 and if they were to stick it in a rio that would be awesome :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
Again way too on topic for off topic.

What's your favorite beer right now? Aside from some local brews I've really been liking the Widmer Heffeweissen. Don't understand all the IPA popularity recently, just not a fan of those.

I got 6 different video games for Christmas but I can see Fallout 4 is going to keep me busy for 6 months+.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Again way too on topic for off topic.

What's your favorite beer right now? Aside from some local brews I've really been liking the Widmer Heffeweissen. Don't understand all the IPA popularity recently, just not a fan of those.

I got 6 different video games for Christmas but I can see Fallout 4 is going to keep me busy for 6 months+.
Twisted Tea, but I guess thats really not a beer but it is a brew so does it count?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.