Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question - I'm thinking about having the second CAT removed - however, as we all know it is safe for our vehicles to do so, but in regards to smog counties in Texas - Harris, Dallas, and Tarrant - has anyone removed their second and still passed emissions in one of those counties?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Ask VW. They should know how to do that. :D

A few questions.

How often you have to pass the emission test?
Can they test/inspect you out of nowhere? Like on the road?
Are you planning on keeping the car for a long time or sell it soon (3 years or so)?

You see, what I am getting to is to have "removable" cat. Do not just poke it out, but rather get a straight pipe that would be easy to swap for the day of the test.

Knowing how rich it is fed, I would say that passing the test might be trickier...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ask VW. They should know how to do that. :D

A few questions.

How often you have to pass the emission test?
Can they test/inspect you out of nowhere? Like on the road?
Are you planning on keeping the car for a long time or sell it soon (3 years or so)?

You see, what I am getting to is to have "removable" cat. Do not just poke it out, but rather get a straight pipe that would be easy to swap for the day of the test.

Knowing how rich it is fed, I would say that passing the test might be trickier...
Oh, I don't "poke" or "clean out" anything on my cars. Everything gets replaced with straight pipe or high flow. But for this occasion I am just wanting to delete the 2nd cat entirely.

To answer you questions - Once a year in these counties (when you renew your tags) you have to be inspected. Only those three counties in Texas do emission tests - and I live in one of them. My concern is that the 2nd cat on our vehicles may keep just enough emissions out to fail one of our cars if removed. Example being, small commuter cars have a certain range or tolerance during the tests for amounts of emissions that they produce - however, I don't know for sure if now-a-days emissions are done through the OBDII or the old school way of hooking up the sensors to the exhaust.

If done through the OBDII I'd assume I'm a-ok since the 2nd cat isn't monitored by our vehicles.

And yes, I've owned the car from the lot new for 2 1/2 years. I do plan on staying in it at least until it's paid off...so that's a couple of more years at least. And no - Texas doesn't do what states like California do where the HiPo can test you whenever. Honestly, no one cares here just as long as you aren't driving with a suspended license. hahah

edit - correction - looks like 2 more larger counties jumped on board with emissions testing, grand total of 5.

And I just found my own partial answer - looks like newer vehicles are OBDIi tested for emissions - so this means I should be ok, right? Since our 2nd cat isn't monitored by the ECU?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I see now - regarding the tests.

Since our 2nd cat isn't monitored by the ECU?
Not so easy. It depends on the second oxygen sensor. If it is placed after the first cat and there is nothing after the second - you are good. Otherwise it may come out.
I am not sure if the backpressure makes any difference here, though. Oxygen sensor would only monitor temp and oxygen concentration, so I believe having straight pipe will make no difference for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see now - regarding the tests.

Not so easy. It depends on the second oxygen sensor. If it is placed after the first cat and there is nothing after the second - you are good. Otherwise it may come out.
I am not sure if the backpressure makes any difference here, though. Oxygen sensor would only monitor temp and oxygen concentration, so I believe having straight pipe will make no difference for it.
there is only an 02 sensor in the first cat. I do believe that's the case. So I think I'm just going to do it and call it a day. hahah

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Haven't you had an emission test yet since you have had the car for 2 years? You should know how they do that then...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Emission and tags are good for 2 years in New vehicles.

Emissions are done via obdii unless it's a95 or order.

2nd cat is not monitored so as long as you don't have more than one or two not ready

Lastly, no they don't stop you for that stuff. But at indirection they may do a visual.

On a side note did anyone know if the tunes offered allow this to pass by moving the parameters out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't you had an emission test yet since you have had the car for 2 years? You should know how they do that then...
I just had my first emissions test about two months ago after the 2 year sticker expired (bought brand new from dealer).

I take it to the dealer and never thought to ask how the emissions was performed. I am going to call however this week and get the deets. I just like posting on here so I ask on here first - just because I can. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I just like posting on here so I ask on here first - just because I can. :)
That's what the forum is for.

So, I looked underneath while changing oil. There is a flange before the second cat and then a clamp (I think... I could not see clearly) before the final muffler so easy to remove one section and replace it with a straight pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts