Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna be making a slideshow video for my channel... i was going to do a video but my camera quit 1/4 way through so i got pissed and just took a few pictures and just did it...

but anyways, i went ahead of bypassed the TB coolant ports as well I pulled the intake manifold off and bypassed the little port that is on there...

after i put new coolant in the car i couldnt even touch the hose that used to run through the throttle body... and at the same time i touched the tb and it was ambient temperature still.....

basically the hose runs off the water neck to the throttle body, then from there to the intake manifold, then down to the oil cooler....

i got a 1/2 heater hose from autozone and just ran it from the water neck to the oil cooler..... i may eliminate the oem oil cooler eventually and get one of the thermostatic coolers from mishimoto....

that should get the oil temperature out of the coolant and vise versa and the thermostatic cooler should cool the oil better to being with.

if you do this mod... you can reuse the OEM clamps... i did... but you need to use 2 that are the smaller diameter... there are a few different size clamps for the different hoses... i tried to use the clamps that fit easily over the 1/2 hose and they didnt clamp enough to seal tight... so i went ahead and squeeze on the smaller clamps and there are no leaks at the moment... knock on wood...

·
Registered
981 Posts
This can also be done without removing the intake manifold sliding a new hose behind the intake just above the starter and down to the oil cooler then up the the stat housing. This allows you to easily switch back to the stock setup if necessary without the hour chore of removing the intake.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ i thought of that... but ill see how it goes... no logs yet... ill sync up torque again tomorrow and see what they are on the morning...

heres the picture video i made... crappy i know... but it shows some pictures atleast

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just my initial impression is pretty good, while bleeding coolant, i couldnt even touch the line that went from the block to the oil cooler while the throttle body was cool to the touch.... i can only imagine with both lines being bypassed and keeping the coolant from radiating into the plastic.... it probably is going to help tremendously...

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Thanks for that bro. I will be doing this probably next weekend when I get paid. Might also get a new Trans cooler while at it lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no problemo... the 1/2 hose i used was only 4$ and some change so thats all this mod cost minus the time i put in.

i cant wait to get a 60mm TB and do that swap... that'll be fun... when i get the 60mm tb ill probably snip off the barbs to make it a cleaner install.

i didnt log the drive this morning or even check the IAT's but the car did feel smoother and not as "poppy" so it does seem that every little bit helps...

also... when i got to work i popped the hood and felt the throttle body... it was warm but not where i couldnt touch it... so if you want to see if it makes a difference try and touch your throttle body after driving and see if its extremely hot...

and as far as i can tell, knock on wood, i dont have any leaks from using 1/2 heater hose and the smaller clamps, i didnt smell or see anything unusual in the garage when i left for work and i didnt smell anything when i got to work, so hopefully no leaks....

when i get a chance, ill sync my phone and the torque app and check the IAT's stay tuned!

also i did some inebriated ordering saturday night so my new intake couplers as well as the titanium pipe from X on velosterturbo will be coming in soon so ill be swapping the stock intake tube out for a new hopefully more efficient cold pipe, then in about a month i should have the new hot pipe from X in and get that installed.

after that i am going to try and put a deposit down on X's v2.0 oem upgraded intercooler...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I get TB is colder, but what does it help with?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
cooler is more dense, dense air gets more fuel, more fuel and more air = more power

also helps with deterring knock and pre-ignition with the intake charge being cooler to begin with

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
OK, I get it. I thought it was more complicated than simple warm air. I do not know how much colder it will get, though.

If this is GDI, why would they add heated TB in the first place?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Nice man! You will like the 60mm. I have had it for a bit and makes the mid range and top end a little better. Also throttle response is more crisp

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Traffic driving home usually makes the car feel sluggish. I don't know if I have a placebo going on but the car seemed very smooth and responsive due to less heat in the intake I would assume

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
How long of a hose did you get? I know 1/2" but not sure the rest lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just bought 3 feet and had some extra left over... i would say maybe 1.5 feet maybe a little more...

heres a screen shot from my torque app this morning... speed was about 60mph... i went to 65mph and IAT dropped to 87 degrees

Screenshot_2016-04-26-04-40-19.png

i havent used torque much so this morning was playing with settings and such... maybe ill data log or do some other stuff to mess around with it

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
534 Posts
The TB line is there to prevent the TB from freezing in colder weather. It can freeze in temps above freezing as well. So if you love in a cold climate be mindful of this.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The TB line is there to prevent the TB from freezing in colder weather. It can freeze in temps above freezing as well. So if you love in a cold climate be mindful of this.
Why would it freeze? Any reasoning behind it?

I would agree with you, if we were talking about carburetor engine, or eventually SPI... MPI will not really have a chance to freeze from evaporation of fuel due to location of injectors (very close to head). GDI - no fuel contact with manifold.
What else could cause TB and manifold to freeze?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cold air probably could have an affect on the motor of the tb..... But I'm in FL so Idc

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Monday on the way to work I'll see about loading torque up and seeing my summer temps are looking

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The cold air probably could have an affect on the motor of the tb..... But I'm in FL so Idc
so how about putting a manual valve on the line coming in? Open for winter season...

But then again. Cold air? After compressor?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts