Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I'm thinking of doing this mod but they have 2 diffferent products for the component but virtually identical description. That is to say, they both accomplish the same task in making shifts more crisp and visceral but they are both different products visually. My question is; do you need both or will one suffice? More over, why aren't they grouped together as a package?

Shifter Cable End Bushing (Kia Forte SX 2014+)

Shifter Bushings (Kia Forte SX 2014+)

Will one work without the other? Also it's my understanding this is not a short shifter kit. It just makes the engagement into gears more precise and tactile?

Oh, on the topic of short shifter; has anyone come across a kit for one that is good? IMO, the stock shifter is pretty good. I do feel the rubbery feeling which I hope this mod will alleviate.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The only conclusion I can come to, is that the metal bushings are for the SHIFTER END set up, attaching at the manual transmission shift and the other set is for the MTX shifter linkage housing under the engine bay.
You can get one without the other, but that would be a mis-match. Both my 99NeonRT and my ACR/SRT4 benefited enormously from shifter bushing upgrades - humorously called Booger Bushings.
Get both and do a full photo and video install; even us automatic transmission owners would find it interesting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I installed the linkage bushings in the engine bay. Made a decent change. I have not installed the other bushings though. But they look to be easier to do unless you have the rear vents then the whole console needs to come out. Still easy though at just 6 bolts.

I also installed a short shifter from a sonata. One of the guys on FB pointed me to it and it requires a bit of a modification to switch the reverse lock out assembly 180 degrees. But by far that made one if the biggest difference in the way I drive the car. These pics are probably going to be big as usuall but here you go

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the throws are shorter? I said I don't mind the throws too much but the engagement is very sloppy and inaccurate at times. 1st to 2nd when cold you can hear a big CLUNK like it's forcing itself in. Almost like a teeth are worn and you need to coerce it into place.

When you said rear vents, you mean the heater vents for the backseat behind the console? I have those so I'll give it a go. I want to improve the shifting since I do that a lot hence why I bought a manual and some days I hate driving the car because of its sloppy engagement.

How long was the install would you say? I've taken the console out to do a CF wrap before so I'm confident up to that step, lol.

·
Registered
827 Posts
So the throws are shorter? I said I don't mind the throws too much but the engagement is very sloppy and inaccurate at times. 1st to 2nd when cold you can hear a big CLUNK like it's forcing itself in. Almost like a teeth are worn and you need to coerce it into place.

When you said rear vents, you mean the heater vents for the backseat behind the console? I have those so I'll give it a go. I want to improve the shifting since I do that a lot hence why I bought a manual and some days I hate driving the car because of its sloppy engagement.

How long was the install would you say? I've taken the console out to do a CF wrap before so I'm confident up to that step, lol.

Forte5GT - the gear change throws won't be shorter with the new bushings; they'll be cleaner & tighter due to less gooey-soft OEM bushing SLOP. When you disassemble your MTX shifter assembly/console - make sure the 4 bolts on the 4 corners are TIGHT. There might even be slop from those being loose. POst up all your install pix, Scoobdude photos are MASSIVE 7MB+ as usual - I retouched/resized one so you could see where the bushings are. You won't have any troulbe with this install if you can do a tune up, or other simple wrench & socket install. Kia1.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
forte5gt there is also the CDV or clutch delay valve which messes with engagement process too.
i did a writeup on removing it check my latest posted threads.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks valley racer as usual. One day I'll get that part right lol.

Hit me up if you have any questions about the install.
I hope you or ForteGT5 posts up full install photos. The bushing install whether aluminum or the polyurethane (booger bushings) style bushings AND tranny mounts and engine mounts etc - make for such a nice shift quadrant I am jealous of you MTX guys. I do like my mindless auto trans KIA though......

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks valley racer as usual. One day I'll get that part right lol.

Hit me up if you have any questions about the install.

On your PC, if you GO ADVANCED (upload option) then MANAGE ATTACHMENT etc etc - select file etc etc, you'll see this pop up utility and in the lower right INSERT INLINE to auto-resize Kia Forum upload.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
On your PC, if you GO ADVANCED (upload option) then MANAGE ATTACHMENT etc etc - select file etc etc, you'll see this pop up utility and in the lower right INSERT INLINE to auto-resize View attachment 14842
Ahhhh, I never use my PC except at work lol. I only use my phone.

In regards to the transmission mount it's really not much and depend on which one you get but SXTH has instructions on his site he also has them for both sets of bushings. And for the shifter install there is a good video on YouTube if you look up Veloster short shifter install. That's what I used to get mine done.

That being said, if you guys want some huge pics of anything let me know lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
1st to 2nd when cold you can hear a big CLUNK like it's forcing itself in. Almost like a teeth are worn and you need to coerce it into place.
Mine does that too, but the worst gears for me are 3rd and 5th.

From the 1-2 shift, try to pull straight back opposed to back and towards you. Seems to shift smoother.

The MT is certainly "less refined" in this car than any other I've driven.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The MT is certainly "less refined" in this car than any other I've driven.
Well, I had 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS. It is 2.0 NA, 5spd. Man, this one was hard to shift. Cold you would not get 1st gear until fully stopped. 2nd - seemed like it would go in better without clutch at all. You had to find the very right moment and force. Basically rpm matching.
Very same thing was in 2004 I had previously.
And that is at about 60k miles.

Gear oil did not make a big difference.

When I had 2015 F5 with 10-20k miles, it was still smooth. Well, smooth comparing to Elantras.
But no, I did not have this big problems.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It sounds like the gears are still spinning when you are trying to engage the gear. It fluid does not help this then you check to make sure that the clutch is fully disengaging. This could be due to the hydraulic system, the clutch not moving on the spines, the pressure plate springs bring broken or bent, the throw it beating not being aligned right etc etc etc

Try putting it into gear without the clutch and you should not be able to from a standstill. Hold pressure on the gear and see if you hear the great spin down per say. Should be covered under warranty

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silly question but hey, it's free so I'll ask it anyway. How much would it cost to source a more refined, as Staax put it, and have it mated to our engine? Is this a costly undertaking? I hear of Mustang owners gripe about their MT86, Chinese made transmission and the one to have is the Tremec. Can we have a Tremec, too?Hell, I all I hear about Honda's are they make the best manual transmissions. How about one of those? A very big reason manual drivers sacrifice comfort and all else to drive a manual because it's fun. We sacrifice a lot to be able to row those gears ourselves but when the experience is hampered the way ours is, it's not much fun.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Silly question but hey, it's free so I'll ask it anyway. How much would it cost to source a more refined, as Staax put it, and have it mated to our engine? Is this a costly undertaking? I hear of Mustang owners gripe about their MT86, Chinese made transmission and the one to have is the Tremec. Can we have a Tremec, too?Hell, I all I hear about Honda's are they make the best manual transmissions. How about one of those? A very big reason manual drivers sacrifice comfort and all else to drive a manual because it's fun. We sacrifice a lot to be able to row those gears ourselves but when the experience is hampered the way ours is, it's not much fun.
This reminds me of the very definition of "diminishing returns". First gen NEON owners would take the engines out of SRT4's and retro-fit them to first gen NEONS. Wanted to be all zoom-zoom. The cost, materials, time, welding, failures, ghetto-factors, down-time, etc etc - diminishing returns and a ruined vehicle.
By the time you find/install an aftermarket MTX that would be compatible with a KIA - YIKES. Install the shifter bushing kits, it's not overly expensive except for the tightest budgets, and then see if your shifting situation feels better.
There is NOTHING to indicate Honda vehicles have "the best" manual transmission - just go drive a Civic - they feel like knitting yarn in a plastic gear box.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This reminds me of the very definition of "diminishing returns". First gen NEON owners would take the engines out of SRT4's and retro-fit them to first gen NEONS. Wanted to be all zoom-zoom. The cost, materials, time, welding, failures, ghetto-factors, down-time, etc etc - diminishing returns and a ruined vehicle.
By the time you find/install an aftermarket MTX that would be compatible with a KIA - YIKES. Install the shifter bushing kits, it's not overly expensive except for the tightest budgets, and then see if your shifting situation feels better.
There is NOTHING to indicate Honda vehicles have "the best" manual transmission - just go drive a Civic - they feel like knitting yarn in a plastic gear box.
I plan to do the shifter bushing mod; I just wanted to throw it out there half-heartedly with the complete change of MTX but I do plan to keep this car for the long haul which is why I'm putting substantial money into the mods. Speaking of which, I just came across this little beauty via a VT owner.

https://kdmtuners.com/product/kdm-tuners-1-6-gamma-g4fj-engine-build-kit/

I think I'm going to go all out next year and see what this little Kia can handle. If my calculations are correct, it'll take about $4,000-5,000 to get 500HP.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Match horsepower to suspension, brake and tire upgrades to avoid wrapping it around a telephone pole. Post install pix of the shifter bushing install. Would love to see the photos.
My friends are being FLAKES with my shocks and bushings. FLAKES..............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts