Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so some may have seen my hillbilly secondary BOV mod, that for a few moments gave me a clean 19-20 psi. That has sense changed. I was back down to the norm 12 psi. I then did the boost hack, that bumped me up to like 16 psi. Now... Day 1, stock, rolling off the lot... Don't we start with 18 psi. BTW I still have the secondary BOV hooked up, I love the sound and there has been absolutely no negative effects thus far.

Some have said the stock BOV may have a tear, but that wouldn't matter since I have the secondary BOV that wont open until the set amount that I set it at (right?)

Is it possible that somehow maybe the 6th element intake and removing the re-circulation hose could be casing losing the 2 psi?

My piping is tight, no leaks. I changed the hose clamps on the resonator delete pipe.

My problem is if I take it in to the dealer, they wont touch it due to they hate my upgrades...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The ECU is smarter then you think.. Lots of reading material between here and the VT forums.....

Reactions: comadreja

·
Registered
458 Posts
Besides that... WHY would you use this setup?? Just replace your stock BOV with a turboxs small and call it a day. You want more boost.. Get a tune. Stock BOV I'm hitting 16.5 psi summer was 18psi.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I was hitting 19psi peak and hold 18 stock. Seems like your ecu is pulling boost for some reason. Have you scanned for codes or any pending codes? It almost seems like there has to be a boost leak somewhere. The res delete and intake won't kill your psi. The res delete if not tightened right will cause it. The clamps should be swapped with T-bolts

·
Registered
981 Posts
There are a lot of factors that go into what your boost is going to be. Ambient, intake and engine temps are the first things I found that effect it the most even the quality of fuel from one station to another will have an effect on what the ECU will allow for boost.

Just so you know the ECU doesn't use the BOV to control boost it uses the waste gate on the turbo.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I figured out it uses the waste gate. It was weird though because when I first did it I got 20 psi, but as you said, ecu got smart. I really hate hearing the bov open when I'm pedal to the floor... Makes me so mad...
Also the bov setup I have didn't cost anything, I already had a spare bov

·
Registered
458 Posts
But why???? Why 2????

·
Registered
580 Posts
Peak 19 , norm 16 psi all day long . It's never varied much from that . Normal around town 5-12 psi . So it works normally with the turboxs sml . But if you put the car into over boost it may put itself into a limp mode . Then relearn and repeat limp mode if you overboost again

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
If you hear the bov open at wot then there is a issue with the stock bov. You should only hear the intake when at wot. I never have heard my bov at wot even when I had the stock tune. I would put it to stock and take it to the dealer or take the stock bov off and check for tears

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be doing that. And idk, why not 2. Granted it could cause big boom... But it literally has only changed the way to bov sounds.
Havnt ever had limp mode yet so woot I suppose

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I really think it might have a tear. If it does revert it all to stock and take it in or just buy the turboxs sml

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just buy my forte 5 how much psi is doing stock, what I can do to level up the psi and not spending to much money and also to not avoid the warranty still 180 miles

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
You should peak 19 and hold 18psi stock. To raise psi safely would be a tune.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This can also very with what gas you use, the climate cold or hot and basically what ever the ECU feels safe at. There is no set in stone amount of boost it will produce but more just limiters on what it won't go over.

At WOT anything under 12.2 psi or over 19.4 psi will go into protective mode (Limp).

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've noticed that . On she'll 87 the boost is like 13-14 but I get better gas milage . With Exxon 87 I get 16-18 psi buy gas milage suffers . Exxon has ethanol in it about 10% it says on the pump . Shell has hydrogen .

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
GFB is a good company . This was featured on mighty car mods . It's like a Greddy Profect b but at a fraction of the price .

·
Registered
518 Posts
so this seems like the right thread to post this. so last night i was headed to my local universities bb game and i was doing a few pulls on the hwy. the first one seemed like it had little to no power cause it was prolly still a little cold but the 2nd pull felt really good until i hit full boost about 16lbs and than it fluttered and dropped a couple lbs and than went back up to 16. it did it for like 3 more pulls that i did. i know some have experienced it and this is the first time i've experienced it. i'm sure it had something to do with the bov. just wish i can throw my synapse on already. let me know if anyone has an answer

·
Registered
580 Posts
The best readings for checking your boost on the fly would be get on a straight away and do 3rd and 4th gear runs . In those gears boost should pull all the way to redline or shift point if AT

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Boost on stock ECU tune will drop way before redline. Usually drops to around 10-12psi by redline. Tuned I hold 23-24psi till 6k and fade to 21-22psi at redline.

Sounds like your BOV isn't holding boost well anymore. Check it for any tears to be safe and check all the clamps to.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts