Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so while I was out driving today I found a nice quite road. I came to a stop and launched my car. Keeping an eye on my boost gauge it only hit 10-11 psi. I read somewhere that our stock psi is like 15-16? Sound I'm wondering what could be the issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes my TC was on and I'm going to check my vac lines tomorrow .

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ok so while I was out driving today I found a nice quite road. I came to a stop and launched my car. Keeping an eye on my boost gauge it only hit 10-11 psi. I read somewhere that our stock psi is like 15-16? Sound I'm wondering what could be the issue? Any ideas?
Also where do you have the boost source for the gauge coming from?

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
If tc was on its going to limit how much boost the car gets so you don't spin

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
That's most likely the ECU killin the party if the rest of your parts are operation correctly.
As you get into the other gears, boost will be higher.

Don't forget, boost peaks about 14-15, then as rpms climb to redline, boost is tapered off by the ECU. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, i get 9-10 psi at redline before shifting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I have my boost vac line T'd into the vac line on my TB. But I'm going to order the vac block. And I'm also going to check my vac lines that I touched . But I'm hoping a vac block will help out a little better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If tc was on its going to limit how much boost the car gets so you don't spin
So if I turn my TC off, I should see higher boost ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting I'll have to give it a shot

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I know it is not available to everyone, but did you have a chance to check calibration of your gauge? It might be off by a few PSI.

I only once, or twice was able to hit 18 PSI and it was in higher RPM, somewhere near 4000 RPM. This is from TorquePro App.
Most of the time I land within 12 PSI for lower RPM (below 3500) or 14 PSI in higher. TC on or off - no really difference.

Yesterday, ECU cut off by boost all of sudden. It was no more than 6 PSI.

I wonder what you will find.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What octane fuel are you using? If it's 87 then try a higher grade and see if you get better results.

Lately I've been regularly seeing 16.5 psi. I only rarely see 18 and that's only during boost spikes.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
yeah, that's what I was referring to.
Boost is strictly controlled somehow. Petrol grade/octane rating is not really helpful. At least not in my case. I see similar results with both.

Even more, on cold start Shell 93 seems to be worse that 87. 87 gives me smooth cold response, while 93 cases the engine to shake, misfire like.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok. Haha. That's what I thought. It usually just happens when I press the pedal REALLY hard.
Lol. Kidding.
I have logs that show it hit as high as 18.3 I think but the conditions were always a little strange. Like 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear.
Generally 16.5 is all that I hit.
Most of the time I run 89. It's worth a shot to switch up gas though.
We got a new station in town and I filled up there and see 1.5 more miles per gallon.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What octane fuel are you using? If it's 87 then try a higher grade and see if you get better results.

Lately I've been regularly seeing 16.5 psi. I only rarely see 18 and that's only during boost spikes.
I consistently hit 18psi on 87 octane.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm using 93 octane. And when I get off Ima still check all my lines. And my gauge is calibrated right I believe .
I'm hoping it's something as simple as a lose vac line

Reactions: lephoenix
1 - 20 of 20 Posts