Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this thread is dedicated to making our horrid stereo system sound decent/ incredible.
What I want is to start, a list of speaker sizes and locations (I'm sure it's out there I will look)
Then I only want people to post what they have tried, and if they kept the try or didn't.
Also I'd like someone whose good with systems to chime in and tell us what our systems are missing. . I would like to say keep the stock deck with the improvements

I have a rental car that a Chrysler 200 base model and the sound system is BEAUTIFUL. Thus why I'm posting this.
So, let's see/here what you think or have done.
Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
I plan on adding my sub and amp in the spring and using the OEM deck. I've never used a LOC before but I don't imagine I'll have any problems.

I have read that if you want to use a LOC its best to either tap directly behind the deck, or the front speakers... But do not use the rear speakers as they receive less input than the front.

Also heard that the stock deck is pretty weak to power the speakers, so a new amp is also needed.

Just upgrading the speakers will provide minimal improvement.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for the NAV and non-NAV units please share!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah from what I've gathered the stock speakers are actually somewhat decent if you just swap out to an aftermarket deck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't know that about using front for loc, I kinda wonder if there's a way without too much complication to add amps to the stock deck.... The stock speakers look oddly similar to some Kenwoods....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had drove off the lot after purchasing my car back in Sept. 2015 and the net day ripped out my door speakers and tweeters and replaced them all around with Alpine. Best thing I ever did for sound. The vocals are super crisp and clear, and the bass that comes from the doors works well with everything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply Vehicle What I have used before is after market adapter harnesses on a picanto , sort as an extension to the factory harness. Spliced the adapter wiring to feed to the amp then ran speaker outputs from the amp back to connected to the stock speaker. Didn't need to change the stock speakers at all.

What surprises me is the the Kia Rio has a much better sound system than the forte

·
Registered
633 Posts
You can use a LOC to connect to the wiring harness in the dash and run the RCAs to the amp. You can then run the speaker wire from the amp outputs to the speakers, or back up to the dash where you cut the wiring harness.

Do the same for the sub... (This is assuming you're using a 5-channel amp).

If you're just adding a sub and mono amp, all you do is use the LOC to splice into the front speaker wire behind the dash (wiring harness), run the RCAs to the amp, and then speaker wire to the sub from the amp outputs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My opinion is if you're going to spend the money to get an amp, get a real one.

This is like a cheap alternative to a 4 channel amp... I'm not fussy on it using the stock harness to power and ground it.. I would much prefer power directly from the battery and a better ground off the amp.

Of course use the remote wire from the harness to turn the amp on/off with the ignition.

Plus that one says its compact enough to fit in the dash... Looking at those dimensions I highly doubt it.

Lastly, if you're ever looking to add a sub youd need to buy another amp.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I have a kicker sub and amp set up. I've always had luck with Alpine amps, on the page it says a direct battery connection is best. I like it's not as big as a norm 4 channel

·
Registered
36 Posts
The speakers are the weak link, in my opinion. I replaced the front door speakers with Hertz coax (6.5") and the sound was dramatically better. Tighter bass, actual midrange, and crisp highs. I still found I had to crank up the bass on the head unit, so if you like strong bass, you'll need a subwoofer. A few weeks ago, I decided to put Hertz component speakers in the front and move the coax to the back. This definitely improved the soundstage. The OEM tweeters don't seem to do much of anything, I can really hear the tweeters now.

If you want to do something simple, just replace the front speakers with a set of components and you will be pleased with the result. Note that I used the crossover for the tweeter only, the full signal is going to the woofer. It was just too difficult to wire the woofer to the crossover and really easy when I didn't. I'm sure I'm paying a small price in sound quality, but it's OK.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The speakers are the weak link, in my opinion. I replaced the front door speakers with Hertz coax (6.5") and the sound was dramatically better. Tighter bass, actual midrange, and crisp highs. I still found I had to crank up the bass on the head unit, so if you like strong bass, you'll need a subwoofer. A few weeks ago, I decided to put Hertz component speakers in the front and move the coax to the back. This definitely improved the soundstage. The OEM tweeters don't seem to do much of anything, I can really hear the tweeters now.

If you want to do something simple, just replace the front speakers with a set of components and you will be pleased with the result. Note that I used the crossover for the tweeter only, the full signal is going to the woofer. It was just too difficult to wire the woofer to the crossover and really easy when I didn't. I'm sure I'm paying a small price in sound quality, but it's OK.
I am no audio expert but I had been thinking about trying that same thing. I could be very wrong but my speakers seem like they have trouble keeping up. I have been planning on replacing them.
The issue could very well be something else but I only have ever changed speakers before so that would be the easiest first step for me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Need to have a showdown between someone who has just replaced speakers and someone who has just replaced the head unit heh.

My money's on the head unit, plus you get extra features for your money and replace the dinky touch screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Need to have a showdown between someone who has just replaced speakers and someone who has just replaced the head unit heh.

My money's on the head unit, plus you get extra features for your money and replace the dinky touch screen.
I have the Nav. unit, so I didn't want to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts