Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just buyer's remorse. Maybe I just miss my GTI.

Maybe I just have myself freaked out by reading horror stories about warranties being void.

But I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake by purchasing a Kia. I'm not trying to start an argument here, or bash on kia at all. I truly love the car. A LOT. I just wanted to make it a little more fun on my commute, and make it look unique.

Now I'm wondering just how hard it's going to be to get Kia to do any warranty work to it.

I was going to get tint, clear bra, and some vinyl work done at a friend of mine's shop.

Am I going to have parts of my warranty void because I didn't have a dealer do them?

Are they going to void part of my warranty if I install aftermarket hid's or led bulbs because kia cheaped out on the 2016 model and didn't put hid's in the premium tech package?

I mean jesus, I have myself too freaked out to even open the hood. Are they going to try to void the warranty on my radio if it has problems, because I had my phone connected to the car?

Someone help me get through this week later remorse.

Anyways. Here's a a wide angle picture my forte.

wideangle.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
First night i drove mine home i noticed the issue with the LED tailight that plagued the 14 and 15 SXs. Had then replaced no issue. Ive since took it in for a minor key fob issue and to replace a trim piece and nothing was said of my mods. My previous car was full bolt on and tuned and I simply demodded it to a visual point and flashed back stock. I know the reflashing isnt an option for us but a spare ecu is. Anything that doesn't directly affect the source of your warranty claim cant be denied under law.

Where most run into issues is with shady dealerships not the company itself. My previous car had multiple issues and it took three dealers before i found one that would listen and correct anything. I even went as far as contacting their national management staff, customer service relations, regional service manager etc. Horror stories happen on the Internet because that's where the dedicated few gather. If you have no issues you dont go online to shout praises, if you do have problems that's when you blast them. This basic rule holds true for any product not just autos. So dont regret just enjoy your car for what it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I understand you. I started a tread comparing the Forte vs FRS due to some related issues. But now I deeply love my Forte and find any excuse to drive it.

Now, about warranty. First you must work with your dealer. I have a list of TODO, and the first time I walked in I told them I want performance. In simple words, they knew I was going to install mods.

Last Saturday I went for the first oil change. I spent time with the service guy and he explained me what to do, when to do it and how to do it in order to keep warranty. For example, a catback will be fine, it isn't touching anything that will harm something mechanical (in my dealer point of view). But coil overs can harm the warranty because it can introduce other problems. A CAI can also cause issues, but changing the filter for a performance one will be fine. HID can be something in a very thin ice. He explained to me that not install a simple bulb hack. I need to put the whole wiring system. If I do it incorrectly the light system can cost up to $3k to fix and warranty can be void. Tint and spoiler will be fine. He also told me to use a good premium gas to obtain the best of the turbo rather than cheap 87. I filled the tank with 76 brand 91 gas and actually the engine wake up and feels more peppie.

Basically, is the relationship you build with your dealer and service. My dealer worked with me and they knew before hand what was my goal. If you are going for mods but concerned about warranty, talk to the service guy first. They can advice you on what, when and how to do it. If you want to do heavy modding now, then forget about warranty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Buyer's remorse for sure. When I went to test drive and negotiate a price, VW was right across the street but I told myself I wouldn't go test drive one because I would be convinced which was the better car.

At the end of the day, you've already made the commitment; going back makes little financial sense.

Try adding wheels, tints, etc. Those mods won't void your warranty or it shouldn't but you never know with dealerships.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I understand you. I started a tread comparing the Forte vs FRS due to some related issues. But now I deeply love my Forte and find any excuse to drive it.

Now, about warranty. First you must work with your dealer. I have a list of TODO, and the first time I walked in I told them I want performance. In simple words, they knew I was going to install mods.

Last Saturday I went for the first oil change. I spent time with the service guy and he explained me what to do, when to do it and how to do it in order to keep warranty. For example, a catback will be fine, it isn't touching anything that will harm something mechanical (in my dealer point of view). But coil overs can harm the warranty because it can introduce other problems. A CAI can also cause issues, but changing the filter for a performance one will be fine. HID can be something in a very thin ice. He explained to me that not install a simple bulb hack. I need to put the whole wiring system. If I do it incorrectly the light system can cost up to $3k to fix and warranty can be void. Tint and spoiler will be fine. He also told me to use a good premium gas to obtain the best of the turbo rather than cheap 87. I filled the tank with 76 brand 91 gas and actually the engine wake up and feels more peppie.

Basically, is the relationship you build with your dealer and service. My dealer worked with me and they knew before hand what was my goal. If you are going for mods but concerned about warranty, talk to the service guy first. They can advice you on what, when and how to do it. If you want to do heavy modding now, then forget about warranty.
What dealership told you coilovers will void the warranty? I never heard that before.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Have you been modding cars and dealing with service depts for a long time? It's pretty straightforward.

They can deny a warranty claim if they have fairly certain proof whatever you're trying to get fixed was actually messed up by you.

Install HIDs and you're turn signal stops working? They can link that together pretty easily and they'll tell you to go home or charge you to fix it.
Install some coilovers and a sway bar end link breaks? Chances are they'll deny that too since they can be easily related.

However, if you have an intake and exhaust and your stock sway bar end link snaps they technically have to fix that, because the mods you have (intake and exhaust) don't have anything to do with that end link.
A dealership can't void the ENTIRE warranty if you install HIDs. It doesn't work like that.

The sensor in my driver side door that senses the presence of the smart key stopped working earlier this year and I got it fixed under warranty. I have lots of mods and a tune, no heckle from my dealer at all.

Just go talk to your service adviser about your plans and see what their opinion is. If they give you crap about HIDs, find another dealer. Don't even use "void my warranty" in any of your sentences.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
No, wait. It is not so bad as it may seem.

Basically, if your car is normal, they will not void the warranty. Besides, as others said - dealer cannot void it. KIA can. And only under certain conditions.

You see, some mods may be more or less prone to warranty issues. If you want to put larger turbo - of course KIA would not want to warrant any engine repairs. But tint windows? Different wheels (as long as they are reasonable - not like 275/15x20 - if it even exists :)). HID...
I put HID, used capacitor/canceller, and also ferrite chokes. It is made such way that in case of any problem, I can remove them in matter of minutes and put halogen back in with original dust covers. Hence, no mod - no problem.

Like Prince_bigd said - it is not KIA itself, it is the dealer. I had experience with a few of them and I must admit - level of knowledge and willingness to work with you differs a lot from one to another.

As for missing GTI - how long have you had it? How much did you enjoy the power and refinement of VW? That's the points where KIA will fail. It is much better nowadays, but still.

So far - I have not had any warranty repair and the car has almost 18k miles.

EDIT.
The only thing that makes me think if the car was a good decision is the engine itself. Not KIA, not Forte. The Turbo.

On cold the engine is gutless. Yeah, I know, I know, safety, cold engine, cold oil... no boost. But the first about 5 minutes (now, summer time) of drive time asks to get some power to accelerate. I never pushed cars when cold, but I would like to have some more power than that in this turbo.
Other thing is driving in slippery conditions. Turbo spools and drops high torque at low end. You want to keep engine speed and power low to not loose traction, but turbo will kill your effort...

Reactions: Shreddable

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've been around the KIA scene since all the new redesign vehicles started coming out in 2011. Dealerships will do what they can to try to void your warranty (I've even heard them say that about LED lighting... LOL) which at the end of the day just isnt true unless you installed something that actually did cause a problem. My advice is to give yourself a few months before you start worrying about anything, i gaurentee your car will take care of you. It's also a wise idea to establish a relationship with your dealer in your area or find one that fits you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
He also told me to use a good premium gas to obtain the best of the turbo rather than cheap 87. I filled the tank with 76 brand 91 gas and actually the engine wake up and feels more peppie.
I have had my Forte for almost 10 months now, and a word of advise.... I wouldn't run 91 or anything rather than 87, UNLESS you are tuned. I ran 91 since day 1, and the engine just can't add enough timing advance to it to make the fuel burn completely. I had MANY quads of spark plugs foul out on me EXTREMELY quickly. Like 1-15 days. Since switching back to the stock plugs, AND 87 octane gas, all of my problems have gone away. Its just as peppy, except when its really hot out. The engine will be more lively with 91, BUT, you need to keep up on your spark plugs. Constantly checking the gap, making sure they aren't fouled.

All that being said, as soon as my 100k km warranty is gone, the first thing Im doing is getting a tune to take advantage of 91. lol

This has been my experience, but YMMV

·
Registered
188 Posts
I work for a kia dealer, with that said I have talked at length about modding my car and the short answer is what they don't know wont hurt them. At this dealerhip they don't really dig to much into why it blew up or whatever. They may ask you did you open the valve cover take off the heads? "NO" even with a tune they would have to do some digging to have any idea what happened. The tecs I work with don't really give two shits why the engine is bad they just want to work on it to get paid more. so if the tech says yup blown turbo but its never been apart or not modified you should be fine. Now running the tune so far my understanding is the tech wouldn't look for one or even know where to begin to look.

they don't even look at oil change receipts they have been covering 2.4 ltr up to 120k just because the popped. as long as there isn't crazy sludge build up on the cams they have always covered everything at my dealership. I know when you walk in bragging about this mod or have fast she is in the 1/4 sure it may raise suspicion. play dumb I don't know what youre talking about ect odds are they don't either. the people I have certified honestly concern me that they rebuild engines or any work at all for that matter.

but that's here in Minnesota at my dealership. So grain of salt but this is all just my opinion no facts just what ive seen and worked with here. Ive found them much more generous to fix things under warranty

Reactions: Shreddable and PLP

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think it all depends on the dealer and you would be quick to find out if yours is a "whitelisted" or a "blacklisted" one.

That said, im the guy who will keep everything performance wise stock while still under warranty because I don't want the headache of possibly having to fight with the dealer. I am however extremely jealous of those who are modding and tuned.

The moment I'm out of warranty and don't have that comfort that someone else will pay for repairs will be the day I tune and mod since it's only gonna be coming outta my pocket anyway.

I dont know what long-term reliability is gonna be like with this car, so I'll likely get rid of it when I'm done paying it off. Then again the resale sucks so maybe I'll hold onto it.

I agree with creating a relationship with the dealership... Shoot the shit with the service advisor and what not. Make your car stand out cosmetically, itll make it easier for them to remember you.

As of today, aside from a few finicky issues with my radio the car has been fantastic and I find stock to be more than enjoyable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advise and replies, I'm feeling a lot better about it now. I get a smile every time I see the car.

I'm going to start establishing a relationship with the service guys at my dealership, and talk to them about what I have planned for the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you been modding cars and dealing with service depts for a long time? It's pretty straightforward.

They can deny a warranty claim if they have fairly certain proof whatever you're trying to get fixed was actually messed up by you.

Install HIDs and you're turn signal stops working? They can link that together pretty easily and they'll tell you to go home or charge you to fix it.
Install some coilovers and a sway bar end link breaks? Chances are they'll deny that too since they can be easily related.

However, if you have an intake and exhaust and your stock sway bar end link snaps they technically have to fix that, because the mods you have (intake and exhaust) don't have anything to do with that end link.
A dealership can't void the ENTIRE warranty if you install HIDs. It doesn't work like that.

The sensor in my driver side door that senses the presence of the smart key stopped working earlier this year and I got it fixed under warranty. I have lots of mods and a tune, no heckle from my dealer at all.

Just go talk to your service adviser about your plans and see what their opinion is. If they give you crap about HIDs, find another dealer. Don't even use "void my warranty" in any of your sentences.
This is the first time I'd be experiencing modding a new car and dealing with service guys at a dealership. Everything else I've owned has either been relatively old. (Comanche) or newer and out of warranty anyways so I took it to other shops.

It is very reassuring to see that vendors have such a strong presence and offer good support in the forums. Not used to that.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are some horror stories about dealerships refusing warranty work on legit issues.. because of a random bolt on part.. like refusing to replace a head unit because you have led fog lamps.. or cold air intake being blamed for blown head gaskets.. form my experience most dealers will work with you if you are upfront about it.. Dealers service department are the doormen to the warrantee experience.. you make friends and you wont have any issues.. getting through the door.. but there is tuner info 101.. if you come to the dealer with a blown motor at 5000 miles and the car is just covered in after market parts.. your you are going to get the hard line..

I can tell you this the I been running almost 40k on my car now.. I have has a tune and full bolt ons ( sans non catted down pipe) since 2k .. my car has been rock solid.. just put good oil in ever 3k don't go over.. do proper warm up and cool down.. ( warm up wait till your car settles at 1000 rpm) (cool down wait 30 seconds to a minuet after you put the car in park or neutral before turning the car off).. and if you are running a front mount intercooler.. keep track of your boost management.. make Shure the after market bov is working correctly.. and run at least one catch can. there have been some users that had had a bad luck .. blown head gasket.. bad turbo.. and some cars have had no issues at all.. now I feel bad for the get that have had to bite the bullet on a rejected warranty.. but its part of the tuning life.. its been the same for every platform..

Even VW.. the current gti have there share factory issues.. and people getting clipped for after market stuff.. bad blow of valves and cracked intake manifolds and bad turbos are par for the corse for the new gti.. This warranty issue is nothing new.. My 99 civic Si was refused warranty work( bad motor mount and ac compressor) for the bolt ons I had on it.. My Integra type R was too..( had a bad slave cylinder at 3000 miles) and was denied warranty because of CAI and Catback..
just enjoy your ride.. mod at will and just understand the risk to doing this hobby..

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not to revive an old thread but just wanted to weigh in. My car went from stock to tuned and full bolt ons in less then 22k miles.

Yes I know Kia wouldn't cover anything on my warranty. But that's ok. Why is ok? Because I chose to do these mods to the car and that's something I would have to deal with if I break something.

All my cars are ran, and ran hard, but they are not dogged to death. I don't just randomly open it up on a ramp, drive crazy all the time or lay into it in sixth gear at 2000 rpm.

i run amsoil full synthetic, and check the car over at least once a week, this includes catch cans, oil level, spark plugs, axles, (yes to see if the boots are in good shape), lug nut torque, brake fluid, power steering fluid, take the front bumper off and check all t bolt clamps on the front mount, and I'm sure I'm missing more.

Yes this sounds like a lot, but to be honest with you my kids look forward to doing it, they are learning a lot and having fun!

Don't let the car get you down, always remember what is broke can always be fixed, when it gets down to it it's all nuts and bolts! Have fun with it, take care of your car and it will take care of you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts