Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

"Spirited Driving" questions

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Playwithmymind 
#1 ·
Ok--got a few questions. My 2015 Koup a/t is the fastest, most powerful car I've ever owned. I'm wondering about the best way to launch it off the line. Just put your boot to the mat and leave it there? How should the tiptronic shifter be set, or should I use the paddles? Always driven jeeps and small commuters, so I'm new to the way the turbo works, too. The general idea is to keep the rpm up to keep making boost, correct? Only had the car a week, so I'm still getting to know it.

#2 ·
How many km does it have?

You do not want to floor it off the line to not loose grip. When turbo kicks in it is easy to spin wheels in 1st. Once you are in 2nd gear you can do whatever you like.

For racing purposes - sure, let it upshift itself. For quick commute - paddles and upshifts at 2.5-3.0k RPM so that the next gear falls no lower than 2000 RPM. The torque will drive you.

One thing to know - on cold it is much slower.

Reactions: Patman
#4 ·
Folks say here the engine takes even 10'000 km to loosen up and completely open wings.

#5 ·
It's slower when the engine is cold bc the ecu is limiting boost until certain engine parameters are met.

#6 ·
My motor took till around 7k miles to really start shining. I have had a tune since 1,500 miles. My car when cold takes a while for her to give me the power. I think it's because the tune and the plugs

#8 ·
Street for now. Not looking to race anyone, just trying to get an idea of what sort of techniques work best with the car. Interesting that the car shifts fastest on it's own.... Hmmm... this is all very new to me, indeed--4 cylinder automatic compact cars have come a long way!!

#10 ·
There are a lot of factors that will come in to play. Our turbo is making peak torque at 1750 rpms so you don't really need to worry about keeping it spooled after the first 1/2 second of acceleration.

Generally with all automated transmission sporty type cars you will get your best results turning off traction and stability control and putting the car in sport mode.
Then punch it. You'll get the feel of when the tires bite.
Nearly all of the variables in play will be in relation to traction. On a cool day your tires will be harder unless you've been driving a lot and the road will be less sticky. Plus, unless it's really cold your car may be making a bit more power. So you're going to get more wheel spin.
On a hot muggy summer night you'll make less power but the condition will probably allow your tires to grab a little better.
All that to say, after you do a couple launches you'll start to know how much gas you can give it in specific conditions.

#11 ·
Just one advice, your engine is new and it still in breaking (gears are granning and pistons as well). Before doing any punshes you might want to wait until 2500 to 3000 miles driven. Also, since it is in breaking, it is good to push the engine up to 2500 rpm per gear (unless you have to deal with hills). Mine only have 585 miles driven, although I punshed it one or two times to test it, I don't mess up with it too much until the engine is fully functional.

#12 ·
Break in process in the manual just says that for the first 600 miles not to race the engine, keep rpms between 2k-4k, don't maintain a single engine speed for a long time, avoid hard stops, and don't tow anything.

If I had to wait until 3,000 miles that wouldn't be until a whole year after I bought it heh.

#13 ·
Mine was at 6000 rpms on the test drive thru the first 4 gears before I even bought the car, during break-in period (first 5-600 miles) might not want to abuse the car but don't be scared to drive it either, it's not made of glass.

Well some are but that will happen no matter what you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.