Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
261 - 280 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's to bad sorry.
I was looking at the Champ 9409 plugs. I didn't have anyone comment on them so I don't have any info on them.
Back in the day I used Champion plugs on everything including my hemi, which those are the plugs in it now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just to cover the obvious first.. Gap was correct when putting the OEMs back in?

Did you clear the codes once you switched back to stock?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
That's to bad sorry.
I was looking at the Champ 9409 plugs. I didn't have anyone comment on them so I don't have any info on them.
Back in the day I used Champion plugs on everything including my hemi, which those are the plugs in it now.
Thanks.
Maybe I will give them a try...

Just to cover the obvious first.. Gap was correct when putting the OEMs back in?

Did you clear the codes once you switched back to stock?
Codes - no I did not not. Actually, it cleared within 10 miles itself... and even if it stayed somewhere deep, let it be.
Gap - yes, I checked with a feeler gauge that was verified by a calipers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You could try and reset the ECU (disconnect battery for 30 mins) and let it relearn.. See if the issue persists.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I did it twice already. No help whatsoever. The only help was the colder spark plugs so far. I recall seeing NGK having some colder ones that would work for 1.6.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Odd. I'd let the dealer handle it (pains me to say that)..better than throwing plugs at it and hoping it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ngk 93411 SILZKR7B8E that's the stock ngk plugs in a 7 heat range. That's one step colder than what's in the 2014 and some 2015 1.6 tgdi gammas. The veloster turbo made the switch in 2014 but it was mid 2015 model year that the forte turbo got them.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ngk 93411 SILZKR7B8E that's the stock ngk plugs in a 7 heat range. That's one step colder than what's in the 2014 and some 2015 1.6 tgdi gammas. The veloster turbo made the switch in 2014 but it was mid 2015 model year that the forte turbo got them.
What was before then? I sure have NGK as stock and I have a feeling some other brand was in there in the early days. I think mine is mid 2015 production.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
what do you have now?

If you changed, did you feel any difference?
As I mentioned before, after putting XP5702 it drove much better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am back on the stock 6 heat range plugs gapped at .028. I tried the autolite xps both the 5702 and 5703. I went through 2 sets in as many months. Each autolite set suffered failures (one a strap that opened tremendously and the platinum pads disappeared, the second the ceramic insulator broke and slid over the plug). I tried the stock plugs at .032 and .030. At each it would suffer from spark blowout and run worse as the ecm would dial back boost.

I did initially notice better running with the xp plugs which were colder but the plugs just sucked for quality. I plan on ordering the NGK 7 heat range soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did it twice already. No help whatsoever. The only help was the colder spark plugs so far. I recall seeing NGK having some colder ones that would work for 1.6.
what do you have now?

this was mentioned like a page earlier

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=30790 is stock - heat range 6 (91568)
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=10151 one step colder - heat range 7 (9723)
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9815 2 steps colder - heat range 8 (1422)

have you tried the ngk 9723 one step colder?

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
514 Posts
what do you have now?

this was mentioned like a page earlier

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=30790 is stock - heat range 6 (91568)
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=10151 one step colder - heat range 7 (9723)
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9815 2 steps colder - heat range 8 (1422)

have you tried the ngk 9723 one step colder?
hey PLP bump :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
hey PLP bump :)
yeah, I saw that. Thanks.
Now I am in a different ride that does not show this problem. Yet...
so spark plugs problem is on the waiting list.

Might help for future.
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah, I saw that. Thanks.
Now I am in a different ride that does not show this problem. Yet...
so spark plugs problem is on the waiting list.

Might help for future.
View attachment 8681
what ride are you in?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
what ride are you in?
I had 2015 MT (pckg 1 = roof+leather)
Now it is 2016 AT (+pckg = all)

I think automatic transmission hinders pinging as engine speed increases due to torque slippage.
Given, 2015 was used when I got it with 11k miles. Someone was doing some stuff to it - engine mount was not in place, some panels were moved... Got everything in place and overall car worked great. Except very short gears... which was not so bad in hot, but when cold merging traffic was not pleasant. Automatic is much better. No boost drop when upshifting. Plus my wife can drive it when we are somewhere out and I have one too many, which is one. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had 2015 MT (pckg 1 = roof+leather)
Now it is 2016 AT (+pckg = all)

I think automatic transmission hinders pinging as engine speed increases due to torque slippage.
Given, 2015 was used when I got it with 11k miles. Someone was doing some stuff to it - engine mount was not in place, some panels were moved... Got everything in place and overall car worked great. Except very short gears... which was not so bad in hot, but when cold merging traffic was not pleasant. Automatic is much better. No boost drop when upshifting. Plus my wife can drive it when we are somewhere out and I have one too many, which is one. :)
im surprised you like the auto better makes me want to test drive an auto just to see.
ever since the CDV delete and other small stuff, the boost drop is one thing that does annoy me.
however, the car does drive much smoother than when i first got it thats for sure.
my g/f is still trying to learn how to drive this stick. im guessing you must have been fed up with the clutch and traded up.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I love stick shift. All my cars were stick.
However, this one was the first stick in turbo. One thing I did not realise - on cold boost is limited and builds up slower than on hot. In addition, the gears are very short.
On my daily commute I must merge into two lane 55 mph divided highway from dead stop. It is about 1 minute from my house, so engine is barely warming up. There is lots of traffic. Without pushing it (MT) I can barely ever do it nicely (safely... whatever you call it). Imagine - first gear, goes gutless as boost does not have enough time to build up. Drop second (to not rev too much it must be at 15 mph). Second will take me to about 25, maybe 30 mph. That is already 3500 rpm. 3rd - to not go over 3500 rpm it would take me to 45 mph. And finally 4th gear arrives at 55 mph at about 3400. Of course most of the cars are doing 60 mph there.

And when I say cold, it means engine was started at maybe -10 C (that is what, about +14 F). Many times on winter is colder than that. Engine by the merge is at +15 C, sometimes +30 C.
Similar thing on the way back from work. This time 45 mph, so not so bad, but UPHILL. Each shift and if any boost was there - lost. So it works like gutless 1.6 from Rio... or even worse.

Finally, there is something about boost and throttle position. On cold boost is limited to about 5 or 7 psi. If you push the gas pedal to about 30-50% it pulls not so bad, but once you go beyond certain level, or go WOT - you can feel like it looses power.

So, I am not saying it is all wrong. I loved this car. It was quick (when fully warmed up) and was giving me great fuel economy even with my heavy foot. Tires were wearing down very quickly... I had it for about 10k miles and overall was happy.
I test drove 2016 SX AT. I was surprised how "rigid" the transmission was. How well defined shifts it had and how it pulled with each shift. On easy it is smooooth, on hard - it pushed your head against the headrest.

As a result I started looking and found one 2016 with a deal I could not refuse. For the trade in (2015) I got basically same what I paid for it 8 months earlier. Plus they gave me a discount that if I was doing math how much the car cost - it would be $24k OTD for brand new (25 miles) with AT, in pearl black and package. MSRP I think was $27.5k (with the accessories). After taxes and all that would be nearly 30.

So... I fell for it.
Plus it was brand new. I knew no one was "tinkering" with it. Maybe some of my "problems" were related to the previous owner...

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So I am back to spark plugs...

Just experienced limited boost for several miles (basically until I restarted the engine). Came out of nowhere. But very similar to previous one. Poured V-power 93, but it did not really help. Not much of power anyway. And then, when colder - runs like crazy. Gets hot - you know it.
Some pinging from time to time (on same tank, so not really petrol related).

I noticed that when engine has just warmed up, it pulls much harder than after it was going for a while. I would blame plugs for it. They are too hot and preignition destroys power.

Previously, when I used XP5702 it was awesome. I think I might be going back to them despite the problems. Maybe they fixed them by now. If not, I will return them if they fail.
If not, I will try to find XP5702 equivalent from NGK. It is still a bit confusing what is the equivalent, as they have different scales.
Tonight I will inspect the plugs. Maybe gaps are wrong.

For sure power does not seem to be same anymore. And fuel use is quite large.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What is the OEM (Brand) plugs in the car? Just a question. Car has been running so good have not even looked at the plugs.
I did notice that after I've been running 89 octane gas it's been running a little bit smoother, I do like that part.

261 - 280 of 304 Posts