Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just about had a heart attack. I was putting in new autolite XP5703s and watched a YouTube video of someone else doing it. I used a torque wrench set to 18 ft. Lbs and then did an extra half turn like autolite recommends. However after a quarter turn it got suddenly super easy to turn and figured that okay so that was the gasket collapsing so I turned a little bit more to get to the half turn and then zero resistance.... The threads from the spark plug had ripped straight off. I luckily got it out just fine but holy shit I about had a heart attack. I was able to get it out pretty easily luckily. Also my old plugs look like they were getting way too hot. 18k miles pic enclosed. So... I'm assuming my brand new torque wrench blows(first time using it) and it was way more than 18. I need some recommendations on what I should do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
That is the first time I have seen this happen. It looks like overtorqued.

Autolite are known for dropping insulator, but not cracking during installation.

If I am not mistaken - either you torque them down or do the half turn after finger tight.
Also, all of this is for "dry" plugs, not lubricated... even with the anti-seize.

Finally, is your car stock or modified?
5703 will be useless in stock car.
I got 02 and they were better than stock, although a bit cold at some times.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I actually have never seen this, I am fairly impressed, more so impressed that you got them out without incident.

First thing first, I don't see why people keep running these junk Autolites. They are terrible plugs, and are notorious for breakage/failure for spark plugs (which in general have a high rate of failure) that is a feat. Yes they are cheap, but you get what you pay for. There are a few things you should not skimp on, I would suggest some NGK 1422's or for a higher modded car, HKS M40XL/M45XL. We have seen those plugs perform time and time again with results to back them up. If a FT/VT comes in here for a dyno tune with any other plugs in it, they are taken out and replaced.

Lastly, torquing down spark plugs is something I never understood. You should count your blessings that the plug was damaged before you stripped out your head, which would be a very very bad day. I put my plugs in finger tight, then give them maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. They do not need to be synched down in the head, just tight.
Tyson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other one was about to do the same but i unscrewed it before it came completely separated from the plug. As for why so many people use them my guess is for the same reason I did. Sticky spark plug thread The second one was probably a 1/8 turn away from doing the same as it was about half way separated from the plug. What plugs should I use for a car that only has a CAI? As for how i got it out... I took a flat head that the tip fit inside but when pushed farther in it gripped it at the top and it screwed right out super easily.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
the 1422's are solid for stock cars, if you get some more mods though I'd definitely go with the HKS.

I am glad that it was easy to get out, I could see that turning into a nightmare.
Tyson

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dumb ass didn't read the last posts. Lots of failures in those plugs it seems. I'll order a set of whatever you'd recomend on the 28th when I get paid.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My dumb ass didn't read the last posts. Lots of failures in those plugs it seems. I'll order a set of whatever you'd recomend on the 28th when I get paid.
LOL plugs are a high failure rate item in general, some have good luck, others don't. For this platform the NGK 1422's have been proven, I would grab a set of those, be gentle with the torquing LOL and see how that fares for you.
Tyson

Reactions: Vbnmzzz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'll just go finger tight with a quarter turn lol. I will say with the autolite plugs it definitely runs smoother but they've scared me enough.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, I'll just go finger tight with a quarter turn lol. I will say with the autolite plugs it definitely runs smoother but they've scared me enough.
Thats even too much dude. Just do finger tight and 18 tp 18.5 ft lbs with a good torque wrench. Worked for me regardless of the plug manufacture. Must be torque specific with these heads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have a set of NGK1422 at O'Reilley auto parts at 3:30 today. They're expensive there but I really don't want the autolite ones in my car and I'm not waiting for something bad to happen lol. My mistake with the plugs was watching a YouTube video of someone that apparently had no idea what he was doing. I'll definitely be coming here for info. Also need to not just read the first post. And do additional research on everything. Luckily I learn fast and actually learn from my mistakes. Thank you everyone for your help!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'll have a set of NGK1422 at O'Reilley auto parts at 3:30 today. They're expensive there but I really don't want the autolite ones in my car and I'm not waiting for something bad to happen lol. My mistake with the plugs was watching a YouTube video of someone that apparently had no idea what he was doing. I'll definitely be coming here for info. Also need to not just read the first post. And do additional research on everything. Luckily I learn fast and actually learn from my mistakes. Thank you everyone for your help!
No problem! That's what forums are for my friend :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts