Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Spare Tire

14K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  PLP 
#1 ·
At this point I have none. Dealer wanted $870 for full size that matched the oem wheels, including the TPM, tire and mounting. A donut spare that fits the 18" wheel is not available yet, according to KIA. The sedan donut will not fit the SX. KIA will not provide the tech data on a stock wheel rim, such as offset and blackside setting, so it is hard to find a stock rim that a 225 tire could be mounted on. On line KIA parts firms can shave $200 off the $870. Suggestions?

#4 ·
The spare was delete from all US forte's, koup included. Seems its a 'weight' problem with EPA regulations. I tried to get KIA customer service to provide one, but they are standing by their 'specs' for the US never mentioned a spare. KIA told me that the spare kit will be available at about $300, but no delivery date has been set. So, you guys in Australia lucked out, but I am sure it is buried in the price. Could someone ask an Australia dealer for pricing? I may order it from Australia.

#5 ·
Reactions: coolhunter
#6 ·
It's not just US models that don't get a spare tire, Canadian cars don't either, well, it looked that way when the dealer showed me the back of the hatch the other day. There was a styrofoam like cover beneath the hatch floor covering which seemed to be where the spare would have been. When my car turns up in the next few weeks I'll confirm for sure.
This also adds some sense to the roadside assistance that we get, as the dealer did specifically mention that it does cover getting a flat tire, and that most, if not no other car brands offer that.

#9 ·
That's definitely where the spare tire would have been. The Styrofoam piece you saw lifts right out and there is another one, almost identical, underneath it that that lifts out as well. In about two weeks time that area will be the new home for a custom enclosure with 2 10in subs and 2 amps for my new system. ;)

Reactions: Trocko
#11 · (Edited)
Hey coolhunter, I don't really have all the details yet on the enclosure. It will either be fiberglass or wood depending on how it looks when everything is removed from the spare tire area. What I can tell you is that 2 10 inch Diamond Elite Series subs are going in along with a 2 flush mounted MMATS amps. The goal is to have it hidden and looking as close to stock as possible. I will definitely post more as it comes together.

#12 ·
Yeah I was going to say... The two false floors and the tire pump underneath in place of the spare tire. Wonder how it would fit a spare in there with those two panels? Maybe remove the bottom panel and it will fit the full and still sit flush?

#14 ·
Oh that is VERY handy indeed. I'm just hitting up my dealer to find out the approximate cost. I have found a few places online that have it, but shipping to Canada is around $130, so I'm curious to see what the dealer will charge to purchase the parts (seems to be around $200 ish)

#15 ·
I actually ended up finding one on ebay from a guy in TO...It was only $50 shipped. It was from a Sonata Hybrid but was exactly the same size specified in that PDF. I just picked up a jack and tools at a wrecker for a few bucks. The only thing I couldn't find is the foam tray.
So keep an eye on ebay and Kijiji- they come up once in a while...

#20 ·
some dealers add the spare for add cost to the car. Try getting the foam from a 14 and up soul, it sits flat in the spare rim. If you remove the larger foam tray the floor may collapse if you put to much stuff in it

#21 ·
Since it's just past Halloween, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I found three sites with these 'kits' for sale.

$230 shipped here - Factory 2014 Kia Forte Spare Tire Kit. Kia A7F40-AC960 & UKH16-12580T

$192.60 shipped here - Kia FORTE5 Door Koup 2014 2015 Complete Spare Tire Kit A7F40 AC960 | eBay

$189.99 shipped here - OEM 2014 2015 2016 Kia Forte 2Dr Koup & 5Dr Hatchback Factory Spare Tire Kit # A7F40-AC960 & UKH16-12580T for vehicles with 18 inch Wheels. Kit includes Spare Tire, 16" Steel Wheel, Jack, Lug Wrench, Bar Tool, Tire Pressure Label, and Foam Organizer

$91.61 shipped here - A7F40AC960 - Kia Parts Now

Why the heck is the KIA Parts now item sooo much less?!? Has anyone had dealings with them? I emailed them to confirm it will fit my Forte5 with the 18" wheels, so hopefully it does. If so, I think $92 shipped is a great deal! :cool:

#23 ·
The one for $92 is just the wheel and tire. The other kits come complete with the foam block, jack, lug wrench and all the necessities for changing the tire.

#22 ·
Very good info man!

When I bought my car they asked if I wanted the spare tire or the kit that has the sealer and air compressor. Pfff give me the spare tire! If the tire totally blows out that stupid sealer isn't doing anything lol

#24 ·
Wow. Just checked..... I have a pump and something else (just looked quickly) good to know. Thanks!! Worst case, we have Kia roadside assistance they'll send somebody to fix the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Right now is one of those moments that I wish these cars came with a spare. I just got a flat from one of the many potholes that have formed this winter and have to get towed to a dealer... (thanks Kia roadside assistance)

Thankfully, I can use the Hyundai dealership basically across the road from where I live instead of the closest Kia about 10 miles away

#26 ·
I bought the complete spare kit from my dealer for $190. I had to have the tire mounted and balanced separately, but that's it. I've already used it after my wife drove over something (she doesn't remember hitting anything) that destroyed one wheel, bent another and ruined 2 tires. I used the spare while spending a $1000 on a new wheel, wheel repair and 2 tires. I'm going with 45 series tires when the Nexen's wear out.

#28 ·
Women drivers no survivors lol JK... "but honey I didn't know I hit a 4" high curb at 60 mph honest". Sounds like someone needs a 4WD with 35" tires

#31 ·
My Canadian version came with a goo kit that your have to use instead of a spare. I installed my two amps in their as well. Question though... to make a flat surface, do you think it would be a bad idea structurally to cut off the knub in the centre that the spare is supposed to lock to? I want a nicer flat surface for making a better amp rack.

#32 ·
My new F5 SX did not come with a spare tire either. I considered buying a wheel kit but decided to get a high quality puncture repair kit instead. Every flat I have ever had was caused by a nail, screw, rivet, etc., and could have been fixed with a repair plug, without gumming up the wheel with sealant.

The kit I bought is made by Safety Seal and is about $35 on Amazon. I have not had to use it yet but the hand tools are all metal and quite substantial. I have tried cheap puncture repair tools and they just don't work for me. With the new repair kit and the existing compressor I am confident that most punctures can be fixed without removing the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.