Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to goodbye. You all have been really great people to chat with and read about. I love that some of you guys have been moding a different (unpopular) car. Its great what some of you have done and I wish that I would have been able to mod mine like many of you folks have.

Me and my forte had what I'm going to call a impasse. I really enjoyed the car but I have never been able to hold on to a vehicle very long. 33k miles and a year and 5 months I became over her.

The reason is that it pissed me off for the last time. I hit a pot hole/ manhole that I didn't see at wot in second gear just about to hit 3rd. Well it hit hard, I thought my airbags should have went off. Well anyways I tweaked the sub frame, control arm, tie rod, ect. I'm not for sure if anything with the strut tower was damaged I was going to put it on the alignment rack but ran out of time the one day I had the lift open. My steering was wonkie as all could be with a lot of play that was more than just the tie rod. This happened once before but I didn't bend the sub frame I just tightened up the tie rod and did the alignment.

So I traded it in without fixing it. It would have been about 600 for me to get the parts and install myself so it wouldn't be on the fax. Not enough to claim on insurance not to mention the car fax hit on resale for structural damage. So I dumped it while I could and came out ok. Oh also my trans was terrible. Syncros were shot and the dealer wasn't going to fix it until it wouldn't stay in gear anymore. But I could not drive the car the way I wanted to anymore with the way the tranny was but I put up with it for about 20k miles like this. It was just time to break out of it before I lost too much money. Did i beat my car too much which made it a pos? Idk but she wasn't going to be holding together too much longer was my guess. And it needed tires too.

I was able to get 12500 for trade 7800 in discounts on a new Cherokee and waved good bye to the ol forte....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but enjoy your "new" ride and definitely understand about the repair cost better just to turn her in for something new. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well.. everyone has its own story.
However, the pothole is not Forte's fault :)

Sorry to see you leave. I hope you will enjoy Cherokee, although that is a completely different car with its unique front fascia. Let us know how it compares to Forte.

Reactions: Gnarkill

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is a point where a cars' repair costs make for a clear case for the Law of Diminishing returns. With a KIA, you've never invested or spent heavy money, so if the thing is a gonner, get rid of it. Enjoy the new Jeep and find a forum to share and discover.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. everyone has its own story.
However, the pothole is not Forte's fault :)

Sorry to see you leave. I hope you will enjoy Cherokee, although that is a completely different car with its unique front fascia. Let us know how it compares to Forte.
I agree its not the cars fault. I bought this car new and wanted to see how a car like this would handle me with my driving habits. If there is one thing the forte taught me is that even a new car can only handle so much of me. Yes I could change the way I drive but I choose not to. It was just timing and everyone is probably confused why a jeep well to answer that I need to finish my Camaro and now a have reason to. Also I have had 3 other Cherokees in the past. this is the newest one by far though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Enjoy the new vehicle man, definitely a 180 from a Forte.

Sad to hear about your transmission woes as mine doesn't feel all that great either.

Gotta be honest, with the previous history and shape you describe your car in, I'm surprised you got 12500 for it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy the new vehicle man, definitely a 180 from a Forte.

Sad to hear about your transmission woes as mine doesn't feel all that great either.

Gotta be honest, with the previous history and shape you describe your car in, I'm surprised you got 12500 for it!

yes exactly that's why I just took the deal F it. Also I drive 40 miles round to work every day and in the Minnesota winter the awd will be a bit less stressful. The forte with the nokians was a boss I have to admit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The transmission in those new Cherokees isn't exactly known for reliability. Did you get the V6?

·
Registered
514 Posts
sorry for your loss i understand how frame damage can make a car not feel exact same ever again.
same thing happened to my old corolla slipped on ice and around 40mph hit the curb hard and killed front right rim and tire, control arm, tie rod, alignment, frame, etc..
even after fixing everything except the frame it never felt the same and wasn't gonna dump $500 on trying to fix the frame.
i turned that $500 problem into a down payment towards another car lol.
i'm surprised your syncros were going bad around 33k. i'm at 26k now and so far shifting seems okay fingers crossed!
you have any parts to sell we might buy them off you :)

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cherokee, huh? You my friend, just signed your own death warrant. Sergio and the boys were caught fudging numbers like VW did. FCA is not a very honest brand. The only vehicle in their stable that I'd consider trading in the Forte for is the 4C, if money wasn't an issue of course, lol.

Good luck with your endevour but don't be surprised if the Cherokee ends up in the shop at the same rate as the Forte.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The transmission in those new Cherokees isn't exactly known for reliability. Did you get the V6?
Yeah v6 and I know about their trans... And for the record I have preached about how terrible mopar is and with their trans ect. Then I go and do this, idk but I'm giving it a shot and we shall see if in 6 months I'm bitching about this one more than the forte.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I might buy a used one sometime for the extra car for the gf to drive. She really liked it and I'm sure they will be pretty cheap soon. And if she drives it she wont beat the shit out of it nearly as much as I did so it will probably last.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My father has 70k on the 8 speed ZF transmission on his 2015 RAM, the thing feels very good.

But then I looked at how much it would cost to change the fluid to keep it in good condition and it costs $40/quart.

Not familiar with the Cherokees but I thought the Jeeps were using the ZF's too?

·
Registered
514 Posts
My father has 70k on the 8 speed ZF transmission on his 2015 RAM, the thing feels very good.

But then I looked at how much it would cost to change the fluid to keep it in good condition and it costs $40/quart.

Not familiar with the Cherokees but I thought the Jeeps were using the ZF's too?
wow $40 a quart would bury me lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts