Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Sorry I have to vent

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Forte5GT 
#1 ·
When I had my muffler delete it took the muffler shop over 3 hours to cut it and weld a replacement pipe. I'm getting my down pipe installed now and another muffler shop who's bread and butter is servicing mufflers is taking well over 5 hours. I have been sitting here all day for these jackasses to take the factory down pipe off and install my aftermarket one.

For pros this is pretty sad. Why the hell is it taking so damn long!

#2 ·
WOW that's waaay to long. Have you checked on them to be sure they know what they are doing? :rolleyes:
Maybe they don't know how or they screwed something up! :confused:
Hopefully there just very slow.
Sit tight. :)

#3 ·
They said our cars is positioned in an awkward way. Ended up breaking the studs and now they need an additional day to get it out. I have no idea if they're even going to get it done by tomorrow.

I just went on YouTube and watched some videos on how to get a broken stud out. May be I should send them some links.

#5 ·
More drama:

2nd day and they still haven't been able to get the stock dp off. These guys are such amateurs.

I observed the guy working on my car walking around the shop. Goes and eats a cookie then comes back and does some more work and then goes for another walk. WTF?

I'm going nuts. These guys will not be getting a repeat customer that's for damn sure.

#7 ·
I'm at the point where I want to do that but I haven't any idea what has been done to the car. Perhaps they messed up the turbo somehow and are stalling. Even the most inept mechanic does not take 2 full days to get a few bolts out. Granted I have heard some stories about turbo downpipes being a pits to get off.

I will see what the progress is tomorrow and it they're still stuck on it then I will call around town for another shop willing to right their wrong.

#8 ·
It is 2014, not sure how many km you put on it.... so the bolts could be hard to remove, especially with turbo. It gets very hot there.

Yet it does not justify how it is handled.

#10 ·
I agree.

I just demand high quality and high expectations from people so when I see people who seem to be sand bagging it, it grind my gears.

I just don't like being taken advantage of but in the end it comes down to the individual and how they perceive the treatment and service they are getting.

#9 ·
Got my car back after 3 days.

It sounds like SHIT. So loud. WHen I had the muffler delete I thought it was loud then I got used to it. Now the downpipe + flowmaster resonator, it sounds ungodly loud. Well not ungodly but it's much louder than just a muffler delete.

I don't know if I like it. Pushed it to 5,-6,000 and it sounded good but the intermitten RPMs make it drone vritually at any RPM while feathering the throttle.

#11 ·
I'll say this, how did they communicate with you? Were they overly communicative or not at all? The reason I ask is that most times, in any situation, if the two parties communicate, even if you feel angry it's some what mitigated by the amount of communication given. ie; you may not be happy when your food order is taking a long time, but if the waiter comes over and says that the kitchen is short staffed, etc. It's not ideal, but you at least have an idea of the problem.

Same here, did they come out, explain that since its a 2014, corrosion, they are giving the PB Blaster time to seep in, etc.. Just to let you know that the reason they took so many breaks is to let the penetrating oil do its work, etc. You may not be happy, and I don't think I would be either, BUT at least there is a reason for the delay, not some nebulous unknown problem. They still are probably idiots, but good communication sometimes will help a situation like this. That said, they sound like they are dopes! :)

#12 ·
To be honest, I'm not a mechanic who knows the ins and outs of a job of this scale so I can only go by what I see on Youtube and it seems like it should be a relatively easy job for a shop that do this day in, day out. I felt they were just dragging their feet but it's always easy looking in so I'll leave it at that.

Compared to the time I left my car at a dealership to get the brake light fixed, it's a walk in the park. The dealership had to wait almost 2-3 weeks to get a part from Korea (small module) to fix the brake light from being stuck in perpetual state. All my brake lights were on no matter what I did.

Anyway, regarding the downpipe install. I don't know if it's in my head but I think I can smell something burning. Is this the initial burn in stage or a sign that the installation went awry? I don't want to be breathing in potential toxic fumes.

#13 ·
Anyway, regarding the downpipe install. I don't know if it's in my head but I think I can smell something burning. Is this the initial burn in stage or a sign that the installation went awry? I don't want to be breathing in potential toxic fumes.
Burning.
It may take a while.

What downpipe did you use?

So, downpipe gets hot, very hot, and it takes a while to burn everything from the exhaust. Unless, there is a leak... and you are burning the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.