Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Some progress on an intake...

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Playwithmymind 
#1 · (Edited)
I started taking some measurements and mocking up my intake in the computer.
I plan on ordering some piping this week and soon i can start making a prototype.

What you see here is a short ram. I will wait until i fit this up before I make a cold air addition.
I'll be running data collection on both to show everyone.

Microphone Office supplies Automotive exhaust Cylinder Audio equipment

See less See more
#10 ·
nice!

right now I'm playing around with the configurations, but it's not looking good for a SRI/CAI modular combo. I don't like the way the filter sits above the really bulky fog light. It's rather tight and the filter takes some hits squeezing it in there. It's a pain!
I have a different route i'm trying now that is a lot cleaner, and doesn't require removal of the front bumper.

I will be taking intake temperature data for stock airbox, SRI and a CAI to see the differences.

#15 ·
This was the trial and soon to be done with 3.5" pipe. This most likely doesn't flow as good as a SRI with a cone but it does eliminate the Darth Vader shop vacuum suction.
With the K&N drop in filter there was no noticeable change between this setup and the SRI with AEM Dryflow.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Personal luxury car Auto part

#14 ·
I started taking some measurements and mocking up my intake in the computer.
I plan on ordering some piping this week and soon i can start making a prototype.

What you see here is a short ram. I will wait until i fit this up before I make a cold air addition.
I'll be running data collection on both to show everyone.

View attachment 147
When you "spec" the air filter, remember that a "velocity stack" or open end concave front, as opposed to a plastic cap, will effectively allow angular, volumetric and tangential air flow to get to the turbo.
AEM used this type of air filter on their very successful CAI for other turbo cars.
Otherwise, your design so far looks smooth, unrestricted, no ridiculous bends and quite aerodynamic. Elegant and simple.

#16 ·
I hope you know that our intake kit is released already? And that picture in your post is a very old CAD screenshot lol.

Also this line doesn't make mush sense to me:

will effectively allow angular, volumetric and tangential air flow to get to the turbo.
That cap opening in air filters is to increase the total surface area of air entry which increases the amount of air that the filter can flow.

"Angular Air flow" - I have not heard of this term before. Maybe angle of attack of air on an airplane wing?
"Volumetric Air flow" - Not sure what you mean here.....an increase in airflow volume might make sense...
"Tangential Air flow" - I don't think has place in a piping application like our intake system. This would be a better term for a certain type of blade fan.

Food Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

#21 · (Edited)
Just an update for those that do not like the Darth Vader super suction hold on to your child before the car eats them sound.
This can be done for about $165.00 including the drop in K&N filter. Would never say it is as good as a SRI or CAI since it is limited by the
size of the filter and the snorkel but it is quiet and not a restriction like the factory air tube.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

I was going to weld it into one piece but left the hump coupling in the middle because the engine does move and the box is bolted down.

#24 ·
I thought the restriction was in the actual air box from the cold air intake side?
It does have a restriction using the snorkel for cold air but the stock air tube reduces down to 2-1/2" near the back then the stock turbo inlet manifold across the back of the engine
is also 2-1/2" ID I don't think the air box will cause much change till that is also upgraded. Using 3-1/2" tubing I tried to build a replacement but the AC lines are a little close so I will
attempt the first angle up with 3" then flare to 3-1/2" the rest of the way. As I am typing this I am at Sky Craft picking up a piece of aluminum to make the flange for the turbo.
Then when the tight 3" 90 gets here I can tig it all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.