Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So as you all have seen so far I'm obsessed with handling in my cars. I've been debating this particular issue for some time, and as it doesn't specifically pertain to the Chassis as in rigidity, it does deal with chassis handling based on wheel/tire combos.

So, firstly, I am a fan of the flower wheels that come on our cars. I am also a fan of the size of the wheel in terms of looks and filling the fender well. However, performance wise, I feel that a smaller rim and meatier tire would benefit this vehicle greatly in terms of handling. That's a pretty obvious observation, I suppose. But, the question really is, what size wheel and tire combo would be the best?

17 inch wheels are still pretty large but may be a happy medium in terms of looks and performance opposed to our OEM 18 inch wheels. But 16 inch would give the most tire and performance I feel considering the small size of our vehicles.

Any input for me??

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Once I put 205/60x16 I will let you know.

I feel 16" might be better overall due to more profile. Less responsive, but may provide better grip due to the fact the tire will adapt more than the wide/low profile one (225/40).

I feel like the 18" is too big with 225 width. Car is too light for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on going down to 17s. But then I came across a set of '16 Veloster Turbo 18" wheels for sale for just $100 for the set. Couldn't pass that up.
Don't blame you. I probably would have snatched those up too.

But I do think PLP is right. 16's are a perfect size for a car this small and light. Lot's of grip to be had out of 16 inch rubber. Hmmm. Something to ponder on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm running 205 55 16. I love them the small bumps you can barely notice big bumps are still the same. I have noticed however I get blown around a lot more than I did with the 18s. Like a lot more I'm always fighting the steering wheel on the freeway. Also to note I'm running really really soft tires hakkapliita r2. So far I'm really happy with the size ive chose. no rubbing handling hasn't been compromised much vs some cheaper snow tires ive ran in the past.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What about just upping the size to a 235 with a decent tire? This would increase your contact patch, put better rubber on the floor and maybe a stiffer side wall. With a larger sidewall wouldn't also you will have to compensate for flex during weight transfer moves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, stay with the 18" wheel, work on tire construction itself if what you are trying to do is go no further than the tires themselves. The best solution is to get first hand solution and opinion from track drivers or those that have been down that road, unless of course you have money to burn by buying tires to test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.