Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a great video.
After hearing it - all make sense, but never thought of it with numbers to really see it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
This dude and his dry erase chalkboard is a clown. Him and his trusty-dusty markers are in many youtube videos and he gives "physics 101" crap. Springs (another entire science) control the motion of the a car or truck and shock absorbers extend the time of the event (rebound and damping). Babbling about NM and square angle bumps (a perfect hole in the road???) has nothing to do with suspension tuning.
The reason coilover shocks are adjustable is so you can tune the suspension to the load carrying and/or weight carrying functions of your vehicle. The viewer comments reveal all his omissions, shortcomings, failings and lack of rationale.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Babbling about NM and square angle bumps (a perfect hole in the road???) has nothing to do with suspension tuning.
I would say that was a very clear explanation how stiff springs compare to soft ones.
There was nothing about a whole car setup. There was nothing about shocks being stiffer or one way dampening. Yes, it is a large topic, but in a few minutes you cannot show the years of studies and thousands of pages of books.
Therefore, comments below his video are not fair.

Despite many things I do not agree with this guy, I bow very low for his way of simplifying many quite complicated aspects in "engineering".

·
Registered
514 Posts
off topic but PLP just wondering how your can tune has been.
i know it takes some time to drive and feel it out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Interested in the canned tune as well. Did PLP ever detail how he overcame the ECU problem not reading in the early stages? If I understand it correctly, it's is a good solution for people who may need to have it looked at at the dealer if something goes awry.

Been considering the USB dongle solution from SXTH/Tork/845.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
off topic but PLP just wondering how your can tune has been.
i know it takes some time to drive and feel it out.

Interested in the canned tune as well. Did PLP ever detail how he overcame the ECU problem not reading in the early stages? If I understand it correctly, it's is a good solution for people who may need to have it looked at at the dealer if something goes awry.

Been considering the USB dongle solution from SXTH/Tork/845.
In case you missed it here.

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-...ce/12-official-tuned-thread-48.html#post76401

As for the overall experience - it still varies. I am not sure what causes it, but there are times when the power delivery is very unstable, kind of like misfiring, bogging down (that is mid range, 2500-3000 rpm at about half throttle) to catch up at some point. It almost seems like it is looking for the right settings. Then it puffs (just my jargon) and pulls.
I do not see any fuel economy improvement yet. Sure, it is winter. Winter wheels as well (more resistant and more flexing from rubber meaning extra travel). But I would say it is running colder (exhaust). I do not have so hot bumper anymore.
Fuel - highway, about 65-70 mph, round trip. Last year (but car had 6k miles at that time) was about 29-30 mpg calculated. Now, winter was 29.5 calculated (with tune). It may get better on summer.
Seems like it does use less fuel under normal driving, meaning up to 50-60% throttle.

But in short - from all mods - tune seems to be the best choice. Even when you put it back to stock, it still does great job (like taking it in to a dealer).
You need to pay attention to petrol - some stations charge premium, I mean really premium for 93 octane. Say, if 87 is 2.40, 89 is 2.60, 93 is 2.80 (that is my current place). Shell, or some other Marathon place would be like this: 2.40, 2.80, 3.20.

Still dealing with some pinging from time to time (under WOT at high rpm when shifting). It is nice and smooth when floored at say 3500 rpm, pulls nicely to suddenly have problems at 6000 or above and the moment it up shifts.

I am getting used to it now - I must put OEM ECU back to remember what was it like. Yet, I still surprise myself how easy I can get from 40 mph to 80.
I may need to think of better brakes now. Summer will tell.

Oh, per USB dongle.
It is expensive stuff. As for any plug and play tunes - Optima store has this "trick tune". Never tried myself and I found little information how it works.
I would strongly suggest finding your ECU (read the part number) and get used one to get this one tuned - if you want to hide it from dealer.
As for ECU not reading. It works just fine. It must have been the VIN issue only. Mine ECU is CANADIAN version. Turns out that is not a problem. Same part number same stuff.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
458 Posts
Does anyone know if the Veloster storm springs will fit the Forte5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts

Bryanwolfe5 - I think 15ForteSX, and possibly 2014Forte5 have dual citizen ship on Veloster forums. Doesn't PaulK5 @ kiaoptima store know? I'm sure he does. Keep up posted with install photos if you get them - exciting.

·
Registered
309 Posts

I recall seeing someone listing in their signature having thr storm springs on their forte. Like Valley said, getting in direct contact with Paul would be your best bet.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I think Korean unicorn have storms in his forte, but he have direct fit springs for forte. We compare measurements on his and my car (stock) and that looks like drop is just bit more than 1/2 inch.
Eibach springs from veloster fits, so storms should too. Veloster is lighter than forte.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think Korean unicorn have storms in his forte, but he have direct fit springs for forte. We compare measurements on his and my car and that looks like drop is just bit more than 1/2 inch.
Eibach springs from veloster fits, so storms should too. Veloster is lighter than forte.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Patryk - did you ever post photos of your car? And all the suspension goodies?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think Korean unicorn have storms in his forte, but he have direct fit springs for forte. We compare measurements on his and my car and that looks like drop is just bit more than 1/2 inch.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Patryk - did you ever post photos of your car? And all the suspension goodies?
Nope, nothing really more to see than what was already shown or talked about deeply.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have some pics of my car with the storms next to K. U.s car. The storms are a good upgrade

Also there is a cheaper place to get the springs and many other parts that KU got his springs from and I got storms springs for my wife's optima.
What place? And the pic didn’t work.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have some pics of my car with the storms next to K. U.s car. The storms are a good upgrade

Also there is a cheaper place to get the springs and many other parts that KU got his springs from and I got storms springs for my wife's optima.
Scoobdude - you gotta use Photo-bucket for hosting, the google change to cloud computing corrupted the picture hosting OR PM me the photos and I"ll resize them for you

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well this forum went to crap. I can't even send a new pm as there is no send button when I open the page. So look for Albert hwang on Facebook. And ask this question in the forte groups to get some good pics. It's more active there. I'm about to dump this forum all together

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well this forum went to crap. I can't even send a new pm as there is no send button when I open the page. So look for Albert hwang on Facebook. And ask this question in the forte groups to get some good pics. It's more active there. I'm about to dump this forum all together
What’s the Facebook group called?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts