Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got our first snow fall here in town and I"m still on the stock Nexxen A/S. Surprisingly if you take it easy, it isn't bad. Wheel spin is controllable when taking off but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they performed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I"m switching over to metal firestorm tires, probably made of solid steel, machined from old railroad trains - so I can drive on Southern California highways. :cool:
But snow tires, no.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The first year I had Nexens was OK. Snow not so much, but wet grip was awesome.

Now, they suck. After 10k miles there is minimal grip on wet. Add colder (say +10 C) and it is very bad. Wheel spin under partial throttle in 1-2 gears.

As for winter.
We got snow a while ago, today is coming much more.
I use 205/60x16 General Altimax. Very decent grip on packed snow, deep snow is very good as well. Ice - hard to say. Much better than Nexen A/S, but it is still ice, so not much can help.

A bit louder.
BUT much better comfort. 225/40 is very stiff. Not much of any cushion.

·
Registered
827 Posts
PLP - as time permits get a few more winter shots up! Love to see great lakes region weather. All we have are forest fires - not very photogenic :(

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
PLP - as time permits get a few more winter shots up! Love to see great lakes region weather. All we have are forest fires - not very photogenic :(
You would need this snowfall we got in the last 24 hours.
About 6 inches of snow. Not so bad. Fun to drive.

So a few more shots of the snow and a video of cold start.
Honestly, I thought it would be much worse seeing how it starts at -5 C. This night, it was -17 C and the engine took it very smoothly.

20171214_091047.jpg

20171214_091106.jpg

20171214_091122.jpg

20171214_091231.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
dang thats a lot of snow nice place you got

·
Registered
827 Posts
Those are excellent snow photos. I LOVE to see the Great Lakes extreme cold weather and frozen lakes. And you can see the air is so clean. Thanks PLP.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow, your car starts so smoothly in those temperatures.

It's been -20 in the mornings for the past few days and my car sounds like an angry drunk elephant, emitting a bit of belt squeel, violent vibrations, and a loud whirring noise when the clutch is pushed in (I'm thinking throwout bearing). All of which is absolutely normal according to the dealer... Sigh.

Once it's warm car is fine, but man I feel like this is the worst car I've ever had in the cold.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
my car sounds like an angry drunk elephant, emitting a bit of belt squeel, violent vibrations, and a loud whirring noise
That's exactly what I was expecting.
I was truly surprised by this smoothness.

Especially that it was tuned and is filled with 93 on HKS 45XL spark plugs. I was really prepared to give it a boost as I did not see it starting.
It took maybe 3-4 turns before it caught up, but fired up on all 4 no problem.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow, your car starts so smoothly in those temperatures.

It's been -20 in the mornings for the past few days and my car sounds like an angry drunk elephant, emitting a bit of belt squeel, violent vibrations, and a loud whirring noise when the clutch is pushed in (I'm thinking throwout bearing). All of which is absolutely normal according to the dealer... Sigh.

Once it's warm car is fine, but man I feel like this is the worst car I've ever had in the cold.
Staax - up there in Canada - are there those so called "oxygenates" or corn-alcohol or grain-based fuels in your gas supply? They are CRAP when it comes to cold weather combustion. What motor oil do you use?
Post (please) up a few photos if you have snow, frozen lakes, frozen rivers or some other interesting cold weather situation in your province of Canada.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Most fuel around here contains 10% ethanol with the exception of one particular station - Shell - but only if you get 91 (which I do).

I don't always go to Shell mind you.

And I'm running PUP for the last 10k km. The first 25k was using Amsoil Signature.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Most fuel around here contains 10% ethanol with the exception of one particular station - Shell - but only if you get 91 (which I do).

I don't always go to Shell mind you.

And I'm running PUP for the last 10k km. The first 25k was using Amsoil Signature.
I was an AMSOIL diehard in the early 2000's, but now around where I live, too hard to find, inconvenient to get. I used their 10w-40 for 100K in my 99 NEON, LOVED it.!
Sometimes, depending on local refineries, those oxygenates can be dumped in, and make for lousy idles, gurgling acceleration and poor cold weather starts.
Did you find the AMSOIL satisfactory in the main on your KIA?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah both oils have been just fine. And I too gave up the Amsoil because it's too difficult/too much of a hassle to get.

I've happily swapped to PUP now that's it's available up here... A year and a half ago it wasn't, only PP was avail.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum.

I switched from Ultra into Platinum due to much better shearing resistance (sure, it was based on test performed several years ago, but...).
The funny thing, though, is that according to Pennzoil tables, the best protection you can get comes from... High Mileage oil.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah both oils have been just fine. And I too gave up the Amsoil because it's too difficult/too much of a hassle to get.

I've happily swapped to PUP now that's it's available up here... A year and a half ago it wasn't, only PP was avail.
We had an older local guy with a mobile home trailer set up as an AMSOIL storefront retailer - so convenient and he had everything product wise. Then passed away, and his wife sold all the AMSOIL stuff. Then I was a MOBIL 1 user; now I"m flexible with synthetics..............

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We're getting significant snowfall on this Xmas Eve. Expecting a good foot by morning.

PLP, what wheels are those?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
PLP, what wheels are those?
We got a lot of fresh snow over the Christmas, too.

Those are 2006-2008 Hyundai Sonata wheels. Part number 529103K210.
16x6.5 with 46 mm offset.
I wrapped them with 205/60x16 General Altimax tires and put used OEM TPMS sensors.

It was cheaper to get used OEM wheels (quite OK alloys) that will fit no problem vs getting black steelies that may not have the right offset.
The bigger problem was getting the right tire size.
225/40x18 is OEM, the closest was 205/55x16, but that would be about 5 mm shorter. Not so much, but still.
Since it is narrower (205 vs 225) I decided to got with 60% profile.
In some very rare occasions they may rub a bit against the mud flaps. But that must be certain height (like wheel dropped) and under certain angle/turn. Unlikely to happen, though. I heard it once for a 0.5 second...

Great grip, but a bit loud. However, ride quality is much better. Smoother...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts