Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright! So, I'm not planning on doing much to this car as far as performance goes. I do, however, have a list of visual modifications that I would like to do. I also wanted a place to keep track what, and when, I do to it.

2016 Kia Forte SX Turbo. Tech package. Snow Pearl White. Haven't named it yet.

I've had the car 3 days, had 35 miles at time of purchase. Closing in on 500 miles already. I've been really enjoying the car!

Already have some broken k badges on the way!

First picture I took of the car.
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Second picture. To show some friends of mine. One of my first impressions I had, was that the wheels look like flowers. They have to go. In due time
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Some side by side's of the vw I traded in on the Forte5.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

First thing will be tint. Second will be eliminating all exterior 'chrome'. So if anyone has any insight on how to remove or cover these pieces, please share. Was thinking of using paint (plastidip is tacky and lame) on the grill and fog surrounds, and using vinyl on the chrome strips on the door handles.
Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design

I also need to look into fixing the front bumper, since the dealership installed the front plate holder before I bought the car.

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The led tails look amazing in the dark. I have some led license plate lights on the way, and am planning getting led reverse lights.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

I'm a little bummed that the top of the line package still has halogen lights in the headlights and fogs. Going to replace them with either led or hid lights soon.
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First detail.

I did my first detail on the forte today. I couldn't believe how bad the paint was for being brand new. There was rail rust all over. Paint felt like it'd never been waxed. Engine bay was a disaster. Dealer left dots and protective film on the wheels. Etc. Etc.

Started with a quick wash. Followed by a thorough clay. Got all the rail rust and paint contaminates removed. Had to hit a few spots on the car with buffing compound to remove scuffs that the car had gotten while at the dealership.

After the clay, I did a coat of White Light from chemical guys, followed by a coat of butter wet wax from CG as well.

Got it to reflect pretty good!
Wheel Car Tire Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle

Worked the wheels over, threw some shine on the tires, and cleaned up the engine bay. Got some shots in the sun earlier today.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Paint is now as smooth as silk. I can't get over how pretty the swp is.

Did some work on the interior. I'm going to be ordering weathertech mats and a trunk liner soon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice work.

This is my first white car so seeing what I would describe as nuclear fallout on the paint after winter was a big surprise.

Never clayed so much in my life.

Interested to see what you do, because your mod list sounds extremely close to what I have planned (in due time) haha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually don't use a clay bar, I use a prep towel. Basically does the same thing as a clay in half the time. It's much easier to do, and if you drop the prep towel ok the ground, you don't have to throw it away! Haha.

I'll keep this thread updated with everything I do. I've got a few things in the works for this car, but I'll reveal those if/when they happen!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Oh, so for white - expect to see lots of freckles (black in colour). That is soot.

I found that if you pour water into rear pipes when washing car, it will drain black. Do it once in a while, and soot will be limited.

Reactions: Shreddable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, so for white - expect to see lots of freckles (black in colour). That is soot.

I found that if you pour water into rear pipes when washing car, it will drain black. Do it once in a while, and soot will be limited.
I got really familiar with this in the gti! Especially when it was tuned. Haha. The back of my car would be covered in a matter of days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah my GTI was white and I swore I would never get that color again heh. People say black is the hardest to keep clean but they must not have owned a white hatchback where you get that vortex back there that sucks up all sorts of dirt you have to wipe down after every drive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I keep a spray bottle full of ONR in the back so I can quickly spray down the back and wipe it haha, I live on a dirt road so as soon as I get to the end of my road its fucked.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I had the same issue on my Pearl white Santa Fe Sport. Rust spots ALL over it, clay bared it all out and it looks brand new! Such a satisfying feeling after you've detailed your car.

Can't wait to watch the build

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I highly suggest you guys check out a speedy prep towel, it's so much better than a clay bar. I'll never go back to a regular clay bar!

I keep a california duster in my car and run over my car about every other day. I park in the shop in my backyard, and have to drive through gravel to get to it.

I should have some stuff from my gti sold this week. First thing first is tint! Going dark on this bad boy.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
The top of the line should have hid on it. I have top of the line and mine has the hid lights.

Car looks good bro! Mine is pearl white and doing a black and white theme on the outside. I think the white is going to be pretty popular lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The top of the line should have hid on it. I have top of the line and mine has the hid lights.
Because it is 2015... KIA dropped HID for 2016 for whatever stupid reason.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Because it is 2015... KIA dropped HID for 2016 for whatever stupid reason.
Dang that's crazy! Didn't know that. Thought they kept them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Shreddable's "Build" thread.

2016 forte5 w HID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
2016 forte5 w HID
Yes it is. Lucky Canadians. :D
And in South Africa you get front parking sensors on the top of it. lol

All discussion was regarding US version since OP is from Salt Lake City area (Utah). That was my assumption based on dealer he picked the car up from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the Speedy prep towel better / faster than Nanoskin? And does it work with the Chemical Guys clay luber?
I've had several different kinds, currently have chemical guys' surface prep mitt. They're comparable. The nanoskin was the first one I bought, and I think it's my favorite. I'll order that one again when it's time.

I've never used chemical guys clay lube, or any clay lube. I just use the cheapest instant detailer at autozone.

Yes it is. Lucky Canadians. :D
And in South Africa you get front parking sensors on the top of it. lol

All discussion was regarding US version since OP is from Salt Lake City area (Utah). That was my assumption based on dealer he picked the car up from.
Am from SLC! You creep. :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright. First 'mod' done. Did some led reverse lights. I've had these on all my cars and love them! Please don't mind the messy garage and car. I still need to take care of all the crap I had in the vw.

Stock.

Led.

Stock.

Led.

Took a comparison shot after putting the left one in.

·
Registered
468 Posts
you can replace that little bit of the damaged bumper .. but you have to buy the whole gill as one part.. the good part its just 50 buck give or take. but you have to remove the bumper to install it..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can replace that little bit of the damaged bumper .. but you have to buy the whole gill as one part.. the good part its just 50 buck give or take. but you have to remove the bumper to install it..
Where can I find a replacement?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts