Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm usually do not skimp when it comes to having quality items in my life, however, I just can not help but notice Discount Tire's brand "Sentury" and the $58 price tag for this so called UHP tire. I was looking at the Continental Xtreme Contact DW's at $132 each, and was thinking just how good of a bargain that was for a fun summer tire. it's always summer here in TEXAS. All season tires really mean nothing up here in DFW - if it freezes or snows then the whole state shuts down :)...

The main needs for a good tire where I live are Wet traction since it will go with no rain for 4 months and then flood for a week.

Anyways, the Continental was my go to choice - however, I've read some really good things regarding Sentury's UHP tires. Not that they are Pilot Sport 2 levels of grip or anything. But my Forte5 SX came with Hankook Optimo H4's. And they were decent in all areas - but I have less than 30K miles on my car (It's a 2015 which I bought in Sept. 2014) and they are completely bald. And since it's an OEM tire - to mount and balance, OTD is $240. Trust me, because 6 months after I had the car I had a bolt in one tire and had to replace the whole thing. I do very very very little hard driving. I'm a grandpa when it comes to taking care of this car. That's why I have project cars to do that with.

So with that said, with the limited info on the Sentury's (though as I said most of it glowing), does anyone have experience with the Sentury UHP on their Forte or any other vehicle for that matter? I mean, a 40K mile warranty, UHP stamp, and a W speed rating, I find it hard to believe that these aren't at least as good as the Optimo H4's.

Thanks, fellas.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Lets face it.
All tests and reviews talk about a brand new tire. They almost never say how the tire handles wear and how it behaves when 30% of the thread is gone.

The other thing is - you cannot make great quality tire for $70. It is one of those - you get what you paid for.
I am not saying they will be bad. However, while initial impression might be great, after 10k miles you will be disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts