Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know the majority of the insane cost is due to it being a one-off, but that's still pretty outrageous.

$25,000 just to get this 1.6 Gamma to 500HP. That's too much, imo. Just get a faster car from factory.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
500hp out of a tiny 1.6 is very impressive if you think about it. I don't think it was just 25k all into the motor though because there is a lot outside going on

·
Registered
580 Posts
He says it's a 10k build . I say for a fully built complete motor with turbo kit that's s good price . Just to upgrade our current setup is like
1500-2500 turbo upgrade only
300$ for DP
500-900 FMIC
150-300 intake
450-900 ecu flash
400-600 misc parts
So close to 5k just to get to 300 reliable
So after that another 5 k to 500 makes the 200 extra hourse power s bargen ! Good work BTR

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Depending on the turbo tork has a SS for 895 plus a core but if your doing a full build just send yours in to be done so no need for a core. Then don't forget to get the 300whp safely you will need forged rods at 1100 and pistons at I think 900.

So really for about 5-7k it wouldn't be to bad for a tiny 1.6. I won't be going this far till the whole motor blows lol. I have told my wife when people wreak these cars or the VT I will buy the motor and turbo and slowly build that motor.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Or if you are going to do a 10K build there is another route lol
LS1 - $3000 (complete with trans, harness and ECU)
IRS - $4000 (with custom rear sub-frame, 6 point roll cage and fuel system)
Leaves $3000 for radiator, exhaust, can-bus conversion module (lets GM ECU talk to any cb system so all interior functions still work), tuning and all the little thing like hardware

Or for about the same you could have the Optima 2.0T built (with forged internals), installed and the 1.6L ECU tuned to it (both use the same sensors and controls except the turbo so the 2.0L will get a custom manifold and turbo)

Of course this is doing the fabrication work yourself like BTR did. They may have $10K wrapped up in the engine and $25K wrapped up in the whole car but that figure doesn't include
the cost of hundreds of man hours spent working on it. So for most that are wanting to get even close to 300 WHP from the 1.6L your going to need $5-7K plus another $1.5-2K for
the work to be done (for those that don't DIY engine internals).

For $10,000 the different options are endless and why limit yourself after spending that much. A stock LS1 in a Koup and RWD @ 350 whp will destroy a 500 whp FWD any day (road or drag). Only place the 500 whp FWD would win is on the dyno lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or if you are going to do a 10K build there is another route lol
LS1 - $3000 (complete with trans, harness and ECU)
IRS - $4000 (with custom rear sub-frame, 6 point roll cage and fuel system)
Leaves $3000 for radiator, exhaust, can-bus conversion module (lets GM ECU talk to any cb system so all interior functions still work), tuning and all the little thing like hardware

Or for about the same you could have the Optima 2.0T built (with forged internals), installed and the 1.6L ECU tuned to it (both use the same sensors and controls except the turbo so the 2.0L will get a custom manifold and turbo)

Of course this is doing the fabrication work yourself like BTR did. They may have $10K wrapped up in the engine and $25K wrapped up in the whole car but that figure doesn't include
the cost of hundreds of man hours spent working on it. So for most that are wanting to get even close to 300 WHP from the 1.6L your going to need $5-7K plus another $1.5-2K for
the work to be done (for those that don't DIY engine internals).

For $10,000 the different options are endless and why limit yourself after spending that much. A stock LS1 in a Koup and RWD @ 350 whp will destroy a 500 whp FWD any day (road or drag). Only place the 500 whp FWD would win is on the dyno lol
Engine swaps are a very safe bet to get good power 10 out of 10 times. I've seen some absolute monsters with the VW community. The most popular seems to be the VR6 or some variant of a V6 swap. There's a Golf R with a Passat engine and twin turbos that walk on a modified Gallardo. God only knows how much money was pumped into that but it got me to thinking just what V6 motor would fit in this car's engine bay but then pragmatism struck and I realized it's FWD. You're going to get a lot of torque steer with that much power. I wonder if Kia/Hyundai will make an AWD hot hatch version to compete with the crowd.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sportage . The SX is setup with an optima motor . If a vr6 t was dropped in fitment would not be an issue as the vr was designed to fit in a four cylinder engine bay ( VW nut lol I be ) but the real question is if there is room for Kia's / hyandai's monster six's that could produce the same power in the near future as the turbo vr r32 setup . Not sure what the geni V6 turbo setup puts out now but I hear they are near supercar status

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sportage . The SX is setup with an optima motor . If a vr6 t was dropped in fitment would not be an issue as the vr was designed to fit in a four cylinder engine bay ( VW nut lol I be ) but the real question is if there is room for Kia's / hyandai's monster six's that could produce the same power in the near future as the turbo vr r32 setup . Not sure what the geni V6 turbo setup puts out now but I hear they are near supercar status
Wouldn't traction be a concern? It's sort of like the Supras with 1000HP but they have a hard time putting the power down.

I've seen some video son MazdaSpeed3s with monster power and when it gets going and they punch it, it looks like its ripping a time warp. Yes, very supercar like acceleration. But did you see the SEMA VT just spinning its tires? AWD variant would have shot out of there like a rabbit.

Unfortunately any plans to do monster builds involving major labour is both financially and time wise not feasible for me. I can part with my car for a day or two, but anymore than that, it's a big burden. The Youtube history on my account are littered with videos of Golf Rs, lol... I'm thinking about it but it's apparently very low supply, high demand.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sportage R is all wheel drive with traction control and a locking diff . They race them in Europe and Asia in the same class they race VW , Volvo porche and Mercedes all wheel drives. Coilovers clutches , swappable parts from the optima bin and canned tunes available very soon . our sportage has no traction launch issues with the 190hp motor and just goes . In a 800 hp to 1000 hp I just see this thing flying down the track . A known fact is the sportage and forte share the same wheelbase . So I wouldn't let it past me some tunner in Russia or Australia decides to plum the drive train into a cerato forte variant KIA_2011_2013_Sportage_R_Front_Radiator_Hood_Grill_Painted_05.jpg

Reactions: schizorazgriz

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would snip off body parts to have an R32 like AWD set up in a Forte5. The R32 makes 900hp with a bolted on turbo! I'd only need/want half that in the Red Rocket!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sportage R is all wheel drive with traction control and a locking diff . They race them in Europe and Asia in the same class they race VW , Volvo porche and Mercedes all wheel drives. Coilovers clutches , swappable parts from the optima bin and canned tunes available very soon . our sportage has no traction launch issues with the 190hp motor and just goes . In a 800 hp to 1000 hp I just see this thing flying down the track . A known fact is the sportage and forte share the same wheelbase . So I wouldn't let it past me some tunner in Russia or Australia decides to plum the drive train into a cerato forte variant View attachment 1627
Wow, that's cool little tidbit. So it's possible to take the AWD system from the Sportage and throw it into the Forte? I wonder how much that would cost.

Would be a helluva sick ride with that setup. AWD launches are just so sublime. I think Ford finally saw the writing and the wall and said, it was time to do it and they did. Unfortunately, Honda is still stuck in the past with their new Type R.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would snip off body parts to have an R32 like AWD set up in a Forte5. The R32 makes 900hp with a bolted on turbo! I'd only need/want half that in the Red Rocket!
You and me both. I would have preferred a RWD platform but honestly, when I purchased the Forte5, I wasn't even considering the BRZ/FRS. They don't appeal to me, but a 370z on the other hand, lol..

I wouldn't mind an AWD swap. Wish they were popular and readily available at a more affordable price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts