Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the factory horn today with a dual horn I purchased from Harbor Freight.

Here is the horn.
HornParts.jpg

To get to the horn remove the passenger wheel and the front part of the splash shield. I folded it over the rotor as you can see.
20151025_130600.jpg

Here is the factory horn. meep.
20151025_130613.jpg

I made a bracket out of a scrap piece of metal that was a few inches longer than the bracket supplied with the horn. I need the horns to fit on a single piece to attach to the factory bracket.
20151025_150119.jpg

Here it is test mounted to the factory bracket.
20151025_150316.jpg

Some female blade connectors, butt connectors, and 16 gauge wire.
20151025_150757.jpg

Using the parts above along with a solid piece of copper wiring, I made the connectors. I hammered the solid copper wiring flat as that end will fit into the factory harness. You could probably just use the braided wire but I used what I had.
20151025_154807.jpg

Here is a close up of the connection to the factory harness.
20151025_154911.jpg

I wrapped it in electrical tape to protect it from the elements.
20151025_155950.jpg

The horn in the bracket and wired.
20151025_160204.jpg

Replace the splash guard and install tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have people laugh at the horn on mine. I just say she has a cold and is sneezing lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this the only location for the horn? I have one in the engine bay, but I'm not sure if that's the only horn. I know the 'alarm chirp' is pretty weak!

Did you folks use a relay for the larger horns?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Seems i saw somewhere (way before i got this car) there was some site selling replacement "chirps" for when you lock or unlock the doors, even one that you could program with your own mp3. Maybe i dreamed it, I've not been able to find it since

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever come across that MP3 alarm chirp horn? Mine sounds like someone beeping an old VW when I set the alarm (kind of embarrassing, really). Not to mention it'd be funny adding a personal touch to the alarm chirp ;-)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you ever come across that MP3 alarm chirp horn? Mine sounds like someone beeping an old VW when I set the alarm (kind of embarrassing, really). Not to mention it'd be funny adding a personal touch to the alarm chirp ;-)
I've searched until blue in the face, nothing will find it. At least not using the terms I've tried. Methinks i will have to resort to a raspberry pi type of scenario

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll have to measure how much power is sent to that little horn. Even a door bell chime would be better... lol!
My only problem, if i do replace it with, say, the transformers sound, I'm not sure how it will sound when it is a solid beep, such as when you close the doors while cranked, with the key out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts