Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start with this.
Any mod I do on my car must be reversible. Meaning, I will be selling it at some point and I would hate a new owner coming back with some mechanic saying something was changed and it is not like it should be...
Hence, I always try to make the changes such way that they are reversible.

This one is horn.

I guess all of us dislike this muted/muffled "beep".
In addition, location of the horn is kid of weird. In the front wheel well, OK, bumper well...
like shown here:
1430d1445819608-replacing-horn-20151025_130600.jpg
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/attachments/1430d1445819608-replacing-horn-20151025_130600.jpg
Thank you, atlsud. Link to: http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/36-kia-forte-turbo-diy-section/678-replacing-horn.html

Now me.

I did not like cutting the harness, I did not like leaving two prongs sticking out... I wanted to have a connector that will plug into the OEM harness.
So here it is.
I had an old horn from a previous car (if I had had not I would have used Forte horn) which was used in this project.

20160424_112258.jpg

The connector is simply riveted to the horn casing. It is aluminum rivet what makes it easy to remove.
Remove the rubbery/gluey plugs (they come off easily if you pull them slowly) and you will see the rivets.
Drill two holes and remove the plug. The removed plug is on the right side of the picture. The two openings are the contacts.

Now, depending on how you like it, you may solder new wires or use both methods - soldering and riveting. Or use a bolt/nut as I did.

Then, have the wires long enough to attach to new horns. OEM horn draw about 3.7 A. The new ones: 4.7 A and 5.1 A (depending on tone). I do not recall which one pulls more.
16-18 AWG wire will be fine. That is only temporary use, plus limiting factor is OEM harness anyway.

I decided to solder wires to the horns.

20160424_113331.jpg

Since there is limited space available, I connected two brackets together and mounted them on one side facing down, slightly angled.

20160424_120553.jpg

And installed.
Weird thing is that I see the picture (as thumbnail) in landscape, but when I click on it - it rotates...
20160424_124310.jpg

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice I ordered the harness from Shark Racing to accomplish the same goal.
But you will end up cutting the other two ends to connect them to spade terminals anyway.
However, very nice harness. Something I did in Rondo for HID.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because those are OEM horns.
I actually was thinking of finding one high tone to add to OEM, but I could not. All those part numbers.
If I am not mistaken, Hyundai SantaFe uses them as dual setup.
I just got too lazy to look longer and got the "loudest" FIAMM. Well, it is definitely louder.

·
Registered
524 Posts
After putting mine in(PIAA superior bass horn) this weekend I ended up with an extra plastic screw thingy. After going through the video walkthrough a few times and having all the mentioned ones accounted for I can only assume that they reproduced while they were all grouped together on the ground.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many amps can stock wiring handle?
I am not sure... the wire is 18 AWG or such, which easily can handle 10 A. Again, this is not power transfer, so amperage can be higher. Fuse is 15 A, if I recall correctly. I would say 10 A is close to stressing it a bit, but if the fuse is 15 A, the harness MUST handle at least that. Fuse must blow before wires, right?

Reactions: Trocko

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just run a wire off of the relay in the fuse block? Easy in, easy out!
To keep is OEM with no to very little modification. KIA likes to complain about anything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi PLP my friend. Great thread and contribution as always. Very informative, detailed and thorough. I noticed the front splash guard or whatever they are called does not seem to have any vents. I thought I recalled looking at mine (Forte5) and seen some vents to allow the brakes to cool like some other higher end cars have. Is it just me or do your guards not have vents?

That said, would enlarging the vents or adding a few more aid in brake cooling perhaps even better aerodynamics?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi PLP my friend. Great thread and contribution as always. Very informative, detailed and thorough.
Thank you. It is good to know someone appreciates my work.

I noticed the front splash guard or whatever they are called does not seem to have any vents. I thought I recalled looking at mine (Forte5) and seen some vents to allow the brakes to cool like some other higher end cars have. Is it just me or do your guards not have vents?

That said, would enlarging the vents or adding a few more aid in brake cooling perhaps even better aerodynamics?
I just checked. I do not see any vents in any of the wells (front or rear). I honestly do not quite think adding them would facilitate brakes cooling. The rims are very open allowing lost of air turbulence. Vents, if you wanted to do something like that, you would need more like a big intake with a deflector directing air flow towards the caliper assembly. The intake would need to be close to corners of the front bumper so that pressure difference drives the air flow (air is being compressed in the front bumper and then due to nature of aerodynamics a lower pressure is created on the sides of the car in front area).
However, this would be a bit trickier due to the fact calipers are in the front. If they were in the back of the wheel (behind the axle), it would make the project easier from directing air point of view.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts