Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some will know, I'm rather annoyed about Nav updates being over-priced, plus the fact our Gen 3.0 cars won't get Apple Play / Android Auto.

I still don't know how plug and play the Nav unit from a 2017 F5 will be, and of course the cost will be stupidly high (unless someone can get them at cost, or close to cost)

Therefore, I'm thinking about perhaps switching out the OEM head unit (NAV unit) with a third party unit. I have various questions, which I hope some may be able to answer:

1. Has anyone done this with a NAV unit. I see a thread relating to Non Nav, so that might be somewhere to look.

2. How easy is it to switch out the unit? What about the surround and CD slot? Can you get some kind of replacement facia portion to get rid of the CD slot if you don't have one.

3. Any recommendations on Head Units? This also flows into: It must support Apple Car Play (and possibly Android Auto, but CarPlay is my preferred choice due to my addiction to Apple :D ), it must also support all the functions I currently have from the OEM setup; control of volume, track switching, hands-free calling, voice control from the steering wheel. Support OEM built in backup camera. Support FM/AM/XM with OEM antenna.

5. What's the situation with harnesses? Back in the dim and distant past (90's through to early 2000's) when I used to replace the head unit in my cars in the UK, I was able to either just directly plug the head unit into the stereo, or purhcase a plug and play harness, no need for identifying which wire went where, and having to solder or crimp things. What's it like today? is it possible to purchase a plug and play type harness?

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Not to defy your project, but wouldn't be cheaper and easier to get standalone GPS with lifetime maps?

I am sorry for not being helpful in this matter...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to defy your project, but wouldn't be cheaper and easier to get standalone GPS with lifetime maps?

I am sorry for not being helpful in this matter...
For Nav, yes, that would make sense, and I have directly mentioned this to Kia Canada, that purchasing the top-of-the-line Tom Tom product with lifetime maps, will cost a little less than two nav updates from MnSoft.
I could use my iPhone for NAV as well, so would just need a mount, and that might be something I'd consider. I already use it via USB for music with the OEM head unit. This is the reason I'd want something with CarPlay support, as it'll integrate together.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I use Waze on my phone as my NAV and stream my music via Bluetooth at the same time so I get the Waze warnings as they pop up.

That said, there is a Metra faceplate that will ease the install of a double DIN headunit.
Metra 95-7356B Dash Kit Fits select 2014-up Kia Forte models ? double-DIN at Crutchfield.com

There is also a voltage step down converter that can be used to supply voltage to the OEM backup camera from an aftermarket headunit.
https://www.amazon.com/Nextrox-Converter-Power-Supply-Module/dp/B00A71CMDU

There's a few threads in here with various folks upgrading their headunits and speakers. Take a look see and the answers you seek might be in there already.

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/22-kia-forte-turbo-electronics/891-stereo-improvements.html

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/36-...try-your-own-add-amp-line-factory-stereo.html

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/22-kia-forte-turbo-electronics/246-upgrade-stereo.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just recently replaced the Head Unit on my 2014 Kia Koup, for a year I put off doing this because I didn't want to loose my Steering Wheel Controls or Backup Camera plus trying to work out all the wiring seemed to daunting to me, it doesn't worry me about Navigation as I have a Tom Tom and also Waze on my Samsung Phone. I bought a JVC DVD Head Unit and a 2 Din Fascia which someone has also gave you a link to. My Head Unit cost me $A299 but there were other JVC Head Units that have Android and Car Play all depend how much you want to pay, these JVC's also have built in steering wheel control and it is simple as connecting two wires up to regain full control of your steering wheel buttons, this will save you spending more on a separate module.
I didn't use or buy any Harnesses I just cut off the three plugs on my factory unit and using a wiring diagram which is easy to find on this forum, all I did was use three wires on the main Connector named "B" on the diagram. From memory these wires were Yellow wire for the main Battery + wire, Blue wire for the Accessories wire and the Black wire for the Earth or Ground. I also connected my JVC to the factory Bluetooth Mic, I just had to solder a mini stereo plug on to the wires. I couldn't work out the factory backup camera wiring so I connected an after market reversing camera but used the factory Backup Camera Housing, I just used a Dremel and after taking out the factory camera from this housing and lens I positioned the new camera inside this housing and it looks and works very well.
The whole exercise was pretty time consuming especially when you don't really know what you are doing and it was all trial and error but the end results were great the sound quality from my new Head Unit is far better than my factory Head Unit. I do have new speakers and a 4 Channel Power Amp which I fitted about a year ago and these two items really help the sound.
I think if I can do this anyone that has a general idea on installing car radio/stereos should be able to do it. Speedometer Vehicle Car Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just recently replaced the Head Unit on my 2014 Kia Koup, for a year I put off doing this because I didn't want to loose my Steering Wheel Controls or Backup Camera plus trying to work out all the wiring seemed to daunting to me, it doesn't worry me about Navigation as I have a Tom Tom and also Waze on my Samsung Phone. I bought a JVC DVD Head Unit and a 2 Din Fascia which someone has also gave you a link to. My Head Unit cost me $A299 but there were other JVC Head Units that have Android and Car Play all depend how much you want to pay, these JVC's also have built in steering wheel control and it is simple as connecting two wires up to regain full control of your steering wheel buttons, this will save you spending more on a separate module.
I didn't use or buy any Harnesses I just cut off the three plugs on my factory unit and using a wiring diagram which is easy to find on this forum, all I did was use three wires on the main Connector named "B" on the diagram. From memory these wires were Yellow wire for the main Battery + wire, Blue wire for the Accessories wire and the Black wire for the Earth or Ground. I also connected my JVC to the factory Bluetooth Mic, I just had to solder a mini stereo plug on to the wires. I couldn't work out the factory backup camera wiring so I connected an after market reversing camera but used the factory Backup Camera Housing, I just used a Dremel and after taking out the factory camera from this housing and lens I positioned the new camera inside this housing and it looks and works very well.
The whole exercise was pretty time consuming especially when you don't really know what you are doing and it was all trial and error but the end results were great the sound quality from my new Head Unit is far better than my factory Head Unit. I do have new speakers and a 4 Channel Power Amp which I fitted about a year ago and these two items really help the sound.
I think if I can do this anyone that has a general idea on installing car radio/stereos should be able to do it. View attachment 3337

Your thread is exactly why I posted this up. I'd seen what you had done, and it looks great :)
I don't overly want to start cutting wires, as if I want to sell the car, I'd want the stock head unit back in there. I might do some research and see if there is any kind of harness out there, as that'd be great. If I had to make one up myself, that might not be too hard, though my soldering-fu is very very weak.

The steering wheel controls and backup camera are the main annoyance though. I really don't want to lose those items.

** edit **

doing a bit of a google and I came across this: http://metraonline.com/part/ASWC-1
If I'm reading it correctly, it seems it'll get steering wheel controls to work! . It tells you to go look elsewhere, here's the final instruction sheet on it: http://www.metraonline.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_401.pdf
I did see JVC mentioned, but not read through it all yet, will be doing that soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your thread is exactly why I posted this up. I'd seen what you had done, and it looks great :)
I don't overly want to start cutting wires, as if I want to sell the car, I'd want the stock head unit back in there. I might do some research and see if there is any kind of harness out there, as that'd be great. If I had to make one up myself, that might not be too hard, though my soldering-fu is very very weak.

The steering wheel controls and backup camera are the main annoyance though. I really don't want to lose those items.

** edit **

doing a bit of a google and I came across this: Metra Online
If I'm reading it correctly, it seems it'll get steering wheel controls to work! . It tells you to go look elsewhere, here's the final instruction sheet on it: http://www.metraonline.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_401.pdf
I did see JVC mentioned, but not read through it all yet, will be doing that soon.
I cut the wires because I got the wrong wiring harness from the US and the local ones here in Australia wouldn't fit at all, I only had to cut three wires on Connector "B" and two wires for the Steering wheel control when using the JVC Head Unit. If your careful you could easily solder these wires back together again as there would be enough wire if you didn't cut too close to the plastic connector. It didn't worry me cutting the wires off as when I sell my car the head unit will be sold with it as it cost only $299. The factory camera is something I couldn't work out, the wires shown on the wiring diagram didn't work out plus you have to step down the power to this camera as it's only 6 volts. The after market camera I bought was a Esky EC170-06 from Amazon and it's small enough to fit into the factory housing and very easy to install.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have also been looking at this which is supposed to cover both steering wheel and other canbus features (like air pressure, gauges read by obd etc).

I still have not found the wiring diagram for the nav unit hence why I am waiting also. I also need to find an easy way to wire in to the factory USB/aux jack cause I know there are harnesses for that.

Lastly please do a write up with parts used

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have also been looking at this which is supposed to cover both steering wheel and other canbus features (like air pressure, gauges read by obd etc).

I still have not found the wiring diagram for the nav unit hence why I am waiting also. I also need to find an easy way to wire in to the factory USB/aux jack cause I know there are harnesses for that.

Lastly please do a write up with parts used
Unsure if this is what you are looking for, but check out pages 1987 onwards in the PDF linked in my post here: http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/9-k...-admins-factory-workshop-manual.html#post8455

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome thanks a ton. I had been looking for this for awhile (not very hard obviously lol)

Also in my last post it looks like I forgot to put the link to the thing I was talking about for agreeing wheel control and stuff

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4W1644/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KlQ5xbYVFJE6Z

Not sure if it works out how well but it has or car listed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ordered faceplate and voltage regulator and I think I found the basic wiring harness (based on pin out from there manual posted, thanks again). It looks like there is also another module that is plugged in series called the tpu. I have an older radio sitting in my garage which I will swap in for the time being (a real eq, timing alignment, etc but no Android auto yet). Will update once I get the stuff in and start tackling it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I ponied up and payed for access to KGIS and grabbed some stuff on the new AVN head unit in the 2017's (specifically info from the 1.6TGDI spec car - ok, ok, I pulled the workshop manual stuff for the car :D).
It looks like it's not plug and play. Connector "C" is different (different shaped connector), and there is a wifi connection socket on the back. I believe some of the pin locations have changed too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Made some progress on this with an older unit I had laying around (Kenwood ddx5901hd).
Price: had already

First of sound quality is improved over stock nav due to timing, EQ, road noise adjustment, loudness, crossovers etc.

Maestro SW works flawless for the steering wheel controls
ADS-MSW Maestro SW - Universal Steering Wheel Interface https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4W10XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xNyNybHHFQRTW

Faceplate is about 90%. Hazard button sticks and right side did not seat properly. Radio is set at a slight angle to make it side right.
METRA 95-7356B 2014 & Up Kia(R) Forte Mounting Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I74AW2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oOyNybMZJG7SD

Wiring harness has the basics plus steering wheel control wires
Metra 70-7304 Wiring Harness for Select 2010-Up Kia and Hyundai Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8RXT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hPyNybG513YWH

Things still left to be done are

1) new mic (missing the one for the unit) and the OEM is way to quiet. I will mess with this more before I give up, but with mic turned up to 15 the was a bunch of noise and very little me.

2) factory USB integration

3) back up camera. I may try 9 volts to see if that works

4) OEM aux in integration

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for sharing Scoob.

Question for you:

You linked the main wiring harness that has steering wheel controls (Metra),. But before that you linked the Maestro one. Did you simply not use the Metra harness wires?

Also in regards to the backup camera, someone has gotten it to work and I believe they needed to use a 12V to 5V stepdown converter ($5-$10).

Edit: oh it's already linked in this thread. I know Rpps got it working with an aftermarket backup camera.

I too plan on installing an AA unit this summer. All of this will be helpful.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The meta harness is for the radio. It also has the 2 wires needed to interface the maestro. So you will need both unless the radio has the interface built in (some Kenwoods do I think). Nice thing about this one is you can long press buttons for additional functionality.

For the step down converter I have the one linked in this thread but have sone smaller ones from work but they only do 3 volts (called smart PACs). It's getting tight back there

Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.