Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering are there any ways to adjust settings or modification so that I can lock my doors with the remote while the car is on?
I do deliveries and am in and out wanting to just keep the car running and prevent it from being stolen while sitting idly for a bit.

Another option I would like is if the car can't be driven unless the key is inside the vehicle. I mean its nice to know I don't have my key with me when I begin to leave in my car but couldn't they take this a step further and enhance security by shutting off the car upon initial launch if the key isn't present too?

Also, what is up with the cluster telling us what gear to shift to and not having the option to just display what gear your in.
Maybe I want to push it or WOT and want to stay in 4th and not go to 6th. It's either this or a blank black square.

I know some aftermarket alarm systems could offer some help but if I can save my money for now and find a work around it would be great or just shut off the car each time.
I read somewhere in a thread that turbo timers wouldn't work in our vehicles because of the key fob.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
So I was wondering are there any ways to adjust settings or modification so that I can lock my doors with the remote while the car is on?
I do deliveries and am in and out wanting to just keep the car running and prevent it from being stolen while sitting idly for a bit.
Mechanical key. OEM program does not allow that.

Another option I would like is if the car can't be driven unless the key is inside the vehicle. I mean its nice to know I don't have my key with me when I begin to leave in my car but couldn't they take this a step further and enhance security by shutting off the car upon initial launch if the key isn't present too?
Allowed to happen, but will be screaming at you the key is not inside. Until you turn off the engine, it will keep driving fine.

Also, what is up with the cluster telling us what gear to shift to and not having the option to just display what gear your in.
Maybe I want to push it or WOT and want to stay in 4th and not go to 6th. It's either this or a blank black square.
You cannot turn on indication what gear you are in, but you can turn off (in the settings, in dash screen) the shifting suggestion. Does it bother you?
As for displaying the gear in - it is stick, so placing your hand on the stick will tell you where you are in.

For the above - re-programming of BCM/ECU can accomplish some of them. I would opt for allowing to drive the car with limit of speed or distance without the key inside. If I recall Optima store had some module that would allow windows/roof control, door locks, and others. Not sure about driving it off.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You cannot turn on indication what gear you are in, but you can turn off (in the settings, in dash screen) the shifting suggestion. Does it bother you?
As for displaying the gear in - it is stick, so placing your hand on the stick will tell you where you are in.
It doesn't bother me as I do use the stick obviously. I just mean what was KIA thinking not including the option to display the gear your in and rather put in shifting suggestion or even disabling it. It's almost comical especially when there are no lights to indicate the gear your in like automatics when its dark outside and the interior is dark as well. A display of the gear currently in should be a normal default option imo.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The canbus module we carry is what is going to achieve these functions you're looking for

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

I know you said you weren't trying to spend money but there is not "easy way" to get what you're looking for without spending the money

As for the gear shifting thing, that's just a function of the vehicle that will always be there no matter what. That is strange it doesnt display somewhere what gear you're in because thats pretty important

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The canbus module we carry is what is going to achieve these functions you're looking for

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

I know you said you weren't trying to spend money but there is not "easy way" to get what you're looking for without spending the money
That's what I was talking about. Not so expensive.
The only one thing that is missing is the not allowing to drive away without the key inside.

And my personal take - it requires a lot of splicing...
Paul, is it possible to have connectors in there that would plug in like a T-connector? Hence, if needed you bring it back to original state.

I just mean what was KIA thinking not including the option to display the gear your in and rather put in shifting suggestion or even disabling it. It's almost comical especially when there are no lights to indicate the gear your in like automatics when its dark outside and the interior is dark as well. A display of the gear currently in should be a normal default option imo.
As for the gear shifting thing, that's just a function of the vehicle that will always be there no matter what. That is strange it doesnt display somewhere what gear you're in because thats pretty important
I thought the same. But then... it is stick shift. It shifts when you shift. It does not do it itself... so it presumes the driver is engaged and knows what gear you are in. The display of upshift is nothing more but ECO equivalent of automatic transmission. It may also tell you to downshift. Happened to me a few times.

However, I agree it would be nice to see the gear you are in and instead of seeing next gear displayed, an arrow up or down suggesting the shift shown next to the gear number.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
524 Posts
The few manuals I've driven that have a digital shift indicator like ours all have behaved that way. Because that's what it is, a shift indicator for best mpg. Not a current gear monitor.

If the car shut off when the key was outside it would also shut off when the battery died or got some form of interference. Safety feature to keep it running.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The few manuals I've driven that have a digital shift indicator like ours all have behaved that way. Because that's what it is, a shift indicator for best mpg. Not a current gear monitor.

If the car shut off when the key was outside it would also shut off when the battery died or got some form of interference. Safety feature to keep it running.
i see what your saying with the shift indicator. i guess im picking on this more just because of the fact that it can be disabled. when disabled, better to show the gear your in instead of a black box imo.
i thought about dangers of shut off and it makes sense which is why i mentioned shutting off upon 1st gear launch or reversing from parked etc which would serve its purpose to protect from car theft if you left the vehicle idle unattended.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i found out that the remote contains a small key to the driver door lock.
i'm guessing i can use this to lock the doors while the car is on? i haven't verified this yet but will find out soon unless someone beats me to it.
the dealer said they could make a key to fit my key ring for $30 so that i don't have to slide out the key each time with an uncomfortable grip to lock the doors.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
so i found out that the remote contains a small key to the driver door lock.
that is the mechanical way of locking/unlocking your car...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
that is the mechanical way of locking/unlocking your car...
precisely what i need when i need to get out of the car and want to lock the doors while my car is running for a few minutes.
although i would like the much fancier $300 version that would work off a remote along with the long list of other fancy features it has.
money is a little tight so this will have to do for now.

edit: by default my car locks the doors while driving so the passenger stays locked so when i park, i just use the handle to open the door while the passenger door still stays locked. then i use the key (counter clockwise-lock, clockwise-unlock) to lock the driver door while the car is still running or the other way which will unlock both doors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts