Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Has anyone taken them off? Do you have to remove them to get to the bulbs?
Any help / pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I did, but I have Forte5.
In mine to get to turn signal you must remove two bolts and pull the whole assembly out and then access the light bulbs from the back.
The hatch part - access through access port in the hatch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@drc69- Those are LEDs .
I had both my tailights replaced by my Dealer under warranty.
What is it are you trying to do?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to get to the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only TAIL/STOP are LED. Turn signal is still tungsten... :(

which ones?
OK so only the turn signal are the ones I want to replace. I didn't know which ones where LED and tungsten.
I order LED bulbs for the front (turn) and I already replaced the side-marker (front) bulbs with some nice LED.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
How did you get access to the marker front?

Keep in mind you will need to add resistors. Forte has BCM controlled turn signals, not a relay... in Elantra I used LED relay instead of resistors. Easier and faster.
Also, which ones are you getting for LED turn signals?

I OPT for amber. They look orange in red lenses. I never liked USA red blinkers. Kind of confusing on the road IMO.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you get access to the marker front?

Keep in mind you will need to add resistors. Forte has BCM controlled turn signals, not a relay... in Elantra I used LED relay instead of resistors. Easier and faster.
Also, which ones are you getting for LED turn signals?

I OPT for amber. They look orange in red lenses. I never liked USA red blinkers. Kind of confusing on the road IMO.
Front makers - headlight bucket behind the turn-signal bulb, hard to get to. I did loosen a couple of the bucket bolts which helped a-bit. I have small hands.lol
I bought amber/yellow led because the lens is clear and the oem bulb is amber.
I have not bought the rear bulbs yet.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
please dont... LED's dont have the intensity that regular bulbs do and you will reduce your visual impact on the road.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not really. Look on this one. Street legal.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-1156-Vision-Stop-light/dp/B00P2D41DW
I got a set and must say - well, they really work good.

Osram made its own and has amber.
Red is actually better than regular filament.

i debunk thee!

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/1/12839redb2/12839redb2_pss_engmy.pdf

lumens 50

Lamp Replacement Guide Product Specifications

lumens 302

nice LED bulbs... i have LED bulbs in my trunk/tag lights and map lights... but for me and my opinion i dont feel they belong in a housing not designed specially for LEDs

i put LED's in my focus hatch taillights and I was almost re-ended because they didnt have enough umph to throw the light... i probably paid $30 in the day from superbrightleds

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i debunk thee!

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/1/12839redb2/12839redb2_pss_engmy.pdf

lumens 50

Lamp Replacement Guide Product Specifications

lumens 302

nice LED bulbs... i have LED bulbs in my trunk/tag lights and map lights... but for me and my opinion i dont feel they belong in a housing not designed specially for LEDs

i put LED's in my focus hatch taillights and I was almost re-ended because they didnt have enough umph to throw the light... i probably paid $30 in the day from superbrightleds
You cannot compare lumens from full spectrum light bulb to color specific LED.
The problem is that lumens measure light from all wavelengths (all visible light to you), hence it will have (white, means all of them): red, yellow, green, blue, and so on. All bands. Therefore, lumens will be high.
If you were to block all lengths leaving only RED coming through, the output would be different. Visible light is about 380-750 nm (for human eye). Red is about about 620-750. This is only one small part of the whole spectrum. And keep in mind, not all bands have same partial intensity.

EDIT.
I was trying to find a good article online.
This one seems to be a OK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candela#Definition
Candela is used to establish lumens, so they are directly related.
Read definition and explanation. I will make sense then.

LED in stop lights are RED and directional. Philips made good job reporting true light intensity as opposed to majority of sellers claiming "anticipated light intensity".

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

watching this... it seems they are pretty similar.... maybe bulbs have changed sense i was doing the bulbs a few years ago.... i still feel the incandescent bulb still has the umph to show light better

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
watching this... it seems they are pretty similar.... maybe bulbs have changed sense i was doing the bulbs a few years ago.... i still feel the incandescent bulb still has the umph to show light better
Only if he said what LED he used.

Anyway, look on our brake lights. They are damn bright. And are LED. Sure, dedicated ones, but still.

Yes, nowadays those "consumer available" or "China cheap" LEDs are much better than say 4 years ago.
And again, keep in mind, one colour LED will not have 300 lm like white light bulb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also do not like the red indicator and very happy aus will not allow them,

Have seen some forte coupes with standard lamp tails, are these the base model.

had both of my tails replaced within 6 months due to intermittent led operation, the rear parking light bars would sometimes not work and was told they are non serviceable, only the indicator & reverse lamps can be replaced.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Someone should come up with a solution to make the whole LED blink like the Mercedes, Porsches, etc.

exLEDShop has some solutions for the front LED strip to act both as DRL and turn signals so I don't see why they or anyone can't come up with a similar setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts