Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FInally got to drive the new KOUP. The factory deck stereo is fair, and no better. Not very powerful amp. What (if anything) is on the rear deck for a speaker(s)? I looked in the trunk, was kind of disgusted, so i just closed the trunk lid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The rear speakers are in the side panels, and are smaller than the fronts. Also the head unit does not send much of a bass signal to them, so tapping them for a sub is not a good idea (if you're going that route, tap the fronts). There are no cut-outs in the steel of the parcel shelf for you to install anything there, unless you started some serious hacking. Best to either dump the head unit and install everything from scratch or at least replace the stock speakers. You could also go for a line-out converter, tap the front speaker leads, and then properly amplify new speakers and a sub.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the rear speakers are in the trunk rear panels. I better go look. Do the rears contribute much to the sound levels in the cabin?
Sounds like it's a case of Rockford-Fosgate to the rescue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wargoose do you know what size the rear seating area speakers are? I've got a mechanic buddy whiz-kid at stereo install, I"m a Rockford Fosgate person. So we'll get some TUNES out of the KOUP.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The rear speakers are in the side panels, and are smaller than the fronts. Also the head unit does not send much of a bass signal to them, so tapping them for a sub is not a good idea (if you're going that route, tap the fronts). There are no cut-outs in the steel of the parcel shelf for you to install anything there, unless you started some serious hacking. Best to either dump the head unit and install everything from scratch or at least replace the stock speakers. You could also go for a line-out converter, tap the front speaker leads, and then properly amplify new speakers and a sub.
I'm OK with my head unit, so would just changing the main 4 speakers (6.5"?) help to start with? With ones with the best bass installed in the front? Or should I just go with line-out converter with 4 channel sub? Basically, just want better sound without breaking the bank for now...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm OK with my head unit, so would just changing the main 4 speakers (6.5"?) help to start with? With ones with the best bass installed in the front? Or should I just go with line-out converter with 4 channel sub? Basically, just want better sound without breaking the bank for now...
Nastus did a GREAT rear speaker install - the OEM 6.5's he replaced with a great photo layout. I was going to have BEST BUY do an install, but after auditioning the speakers at Best buy, I have to find some better speakers. I'll probably stick with my pet RockFord Fosgate equipment - about $280 install for new speakers and a 2 channel amp. Nothing worse than cheap car audio. So this is a good starting point, not dirt cheap, but if you can do some install yourself you can save some cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts