Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first turbo car but I have been following the car scene before I could legally drive. it seems every turbo car has to have boost gauges and pillars fulling gauges. If it were so jmportant why doesn't the manufacture include them from the factory?

Apart from real time boost readings why do people want a boost gauge? Also with apps like torque is it necessary is it for looks? Go easy on me guys I'm a noob.

Is it a must for big power builds? Thanks

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You do NOT have to have boost gauge. Why most of us want it? Because we like to know everything what is going on with the car...

Now. Apps can read many sensors. Boost as well. However, I must tell you one thing - mechanical boost gauge is much faster and more reliable than any other app. I could not believe myself.
As for pillars - I did not get one as it would be too much hassle. I used a suction cup for TomTom GPS and the gauge is attached to the small A-pillar window.

Manufacturer would not put too many gauges to not distract the driver. In addition, only a few drivers will really use them, so it is waste of money from manufacturer stand point of view.
My friend has 1997 Bonneville. It has many gauges, including oil pressure. Why? IDK, but it is nice to know... most people would not care.

If you start modding the car then yes - you MUST have boost gauge to monitor it. Especially if you do anything related to wastegate/compressor.

Reactions: 2014Forte5

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a "aeroforce interceptor" gauge. It plugs into the obd ii port and provides real time sensor readings. It also can be programmed to have shift lights or to light up if the readings go beyond what you set as normal

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a prosport evo premium . Pretty accurate . I have it reading off the intake plenum via the 6th vaccum block version 2

Reactions: Trocko

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a prosport evo premium . Pretty accurate . I have it reading off the intake plenum via the 6th vaccum block version 2
Why? Just to be sure you're not running over boost? I made that term up to mean you're pushing too much boost due to may be faulty tune or leak or whatever.

Anyway I'm in agreement with PLP. Unless I'm pushing insane numbers and it is a necessity then it's probably just an intangible benefit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's good to have if you are stock too because if you get a boost leak you can see it ASAP . Also some of us have had overboost issues that could be related to a faulty waste gate . So all turbo cars should be equipped with boost gauges .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts