Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Dumb question but I never notice that the lights are "on" (very dim) in the handles is that right? :confused:
It doesn't seem to matter whether the car is locked or unlocked.
Can someone help with this question.
I must be losing it!
Need help please.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Try this.
Set the mirrors into auto fold when locked (on the door).

Lock the car. Do it at night as it is much easier to see.

Then, do NOT unlock the car, but only approach the drivers door. The mirrors should unfold and the puddle lights should come on.
Next, walk away, about 10 feet or more. Mirrors will fold back in and lights turn off.

Report back here.

Also, I think you might have disabled it... or I am confusing myself now with my wife's FIAT (I am not sure now which one had the settings for proximity/approach entry).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid me just notice that the mirrors are also "on". So both door handles and mirrors all very dim.
I did move the keys to the other side of the house, no change.
Ok I'm going to try some of your tips today will let you know.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try this.
Set the mirrors into auto fold when locked (on the door).

Lock the car. Do it at night as it is much easier to see.

Then, do NOT unlock the car, but only approach the drivers door. The mirrors should unfold and the puddle lights should come on.
Next, walk away, about 10 feet or more. Mirrors will fold back in and lights turn off.

Report back here.

Also, I think you might have disabled it... or I am confusing myself now with my wife's FIAT (I am not sure now which one had the settings for proximity/approach entry).
NO change. I did it twice to be sure.
Any other thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
NO change. I did it twice to be sure.
Any other thoughts?
Let me reiterate it.

The handle pockets are lit, but very dim and they light intensity is same regardless of your efforts, right?

Then, the mirrors should have puddle lights that are in the underside of the mirror. Do you see any light from there? Slide your hand there or a piece of paper.

You see, even in the evening they do not seem so bright... it must be really dark to see them. They are not very flashy, but definitely noticeable.
However, they turn off completely and are not outside light or car lights dependent.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after a bit of reading, they are called "Welcome Lights". I tried few steps but no luck.
They do go "bright" on and off but stay illuminated and don't go off.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Well after a bit of reading, they are called "Welcome Lights". I tried few steps but no luck.
They do go "bright" on and off but stay illuminated and don't go off.
mirrors or door pockets?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Before taking this to the dealer try removing the interior LED bulbs and install the stock ones. The Canbus unit may not be seeing the required load/resistance for the dimming module to turn all the way off.

Reactions: drc69

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Before taking this to the dealer try removing the interior LED bulbs and install the stock ones. The Canbus unit may not be seeing the required load/resistance for the dimming module to turn all the way off.
Are they connected somehow?
The outside lit up regardless of interior and vice versa.

I just checked mine yesterday leaving work.
It turns on when approaching vehicle and turns off after about 15 seconds. Goes to complete off. And I do have interior LED. Well, only the main one (middle of the car), but still.

Hard to see, but look for the small white dot on the inside of the handle, near the hinge.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Bumper

Now it goes dark. Completely dark.

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: drc69

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good suggestion on the LED bulbs. I did notice the other day that the dome LED was acting up a few times.
I'm going to remove it and replace.
Thanks for everyone's help / input on this, will let you know (update).
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I removed all 3 LEDs. Dome and the 2 front map lights. I noticed the front LEDs where running a bit hot so out they came.
It's funny that the dash indicator light didn't come on about all the interior lights not working / removed.
I ordered all new ceramic LEDs they should be here by Wed / Thurs of this week.
Door-handles and mirrors are all still "on".
I will wait until I reinstall the new LEDs to see if that fixes the problem I do not want to go back to stock bulbs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I replace all the interior lights (2 maps and dome) with new LEDs and no change. Just the pocket door-handles are still on, but no mirrors (good).
So what is everyone using for interior LEDs??
It seems that the body control module controls the welcome system and many more things.
Maybe this week I will change back to oem bulbs and see if that fixes the problem and then move forward from there, I just don't want to go back to stock bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
The only LED I have is the large dome light in the back. I did not have the time to change all the others.
However, 2015 I had previously was all LED including the glove box and the pocket lights were working fine. I believe I would notice them being on all the time as the garage is completely dark at night.

What LED? I think it was just some cheapo-china. Nothing spectacular. Nothing fancy. Just some warm white light LED. Those were I think 3528 chips in the front, while rear had some larger chips. It was not 5050, some other type.

Did you do any changes to the electrical system? Anything?
I would go back to tungsten and see how they change anything.

If still same - seek help with KIA.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only LED I have is the large dome light in the back. I did not have the time to change all the others.
However, 2015 I had previously was all LED including the glove box and the pocket lights were working fine. I believe I would notice them being on all the time as the garage is completely dark at night.

What LED? I think it was just some cheapo-china. Nothing spectacular. Nothing fancy. Just some warm white light LED. Those were I think 3528 chips in the front, while rear had some larger chips. It was not 5050, some other type.

Did you do any changes to the electrical system? Anything?
I would go back to tungsten and see how they change anything.

If still same - seek help with KIA.
Okay thanks for your help I appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.